Formal Tops

maili

Do an internet search on beaded tops. There are several places that sell them. Ebay is a good place, too. They usually have all kinds.

If you have a Marshall's, Ross Dress for Less, or TJ Maxx near you, check them, too. They sell off-season clothes. That's the problem: a lot of stores don't have formal clothes during the summer.

Also David's Bridal or any bridal shop near you might have them, too.

If your plus-size, try http://www.catherines.com

Good luck.

Maili,

This is going to be a challenge for you if you don't sew, but there are some really simple sewing top patterns out there. They have a whole line of "sewing for dummies" patterns in the pattern books. Buy some cheap fabric and see if you can try a simple top. IF you succeed, buy something that isn't too hard to sew with like a glittered basic fabric. I used to sew a whole lot until I got carpal tunnel. Some patterns are as easy as side seams, shoulder seams, a small opening at the neck in the back with a tie, snap or button and then the hem. If you can't sew, then good luck in finding a top online. If you do sew it up, it will cost you a fraction of what it costs in stores. I know it's easy for me to say since I've sewn for over 20 yrs, but you might find a new hobby!

Burlington Coat Factory usually carries this stuff all year long. In fact I will be heading to ours soon. If you are size 14 and up Roamans or Lane Bryant catalog or Chadwick's. I have seen the dressy tops in there all year long.

Good Luck!

The stores that came to mind for me were Charlotte Russe, Bebe and Ann Taylor Loft. Those may not be the style you are looking for but those stores all offer dressy blouses to go with skirts or nice pants. At Charlotte Russe you will find fun and affordable beaded camisoles and sleeveless tops. Bebe offers more "evening out" style tops. Ann Taylor Loft (not the normal Ann Taylor) has a lot of great, more preppy styles.

Thank you everyone. I checked out ebay (which I have never done) and found something to bid on but registering to bid never went through. Hope it wasn't a phony site because they now have my name, address, cc info, etc. Think I'll hit the bridal shops this weekend and if I can't find anything that will make me feel like a princess instead of a troll I'll just give up. Happy weekend to all.:D

That would help others to give advise on where to shop.

Around here (So Cal.) I shop Macy's, Robinson-May, Saks, Nordstrom. I have found wonderful tops in all of these places on sale. There are dozens of boutique stores at all the malls around here.

I prefer not to use Ebay because I've never gotten anything that fits and returns are either non-existant or too much hassle. When I check out the winning bids on some of the outfits I see, I can't believe how much more people pay for these items and the high shipping costs. I've always been able to get better deals and prefer to be able to try on clothes before purchasing. I do make exceptions with some places, such as Nordstrom.com or landsend.com, both have excellent return policy.

Archived