September Weather

ZoeZ1

At the risk of simultaneously offering both too much and not enough information, let me suggest the following method for finding out the weather at QM2 right now:

1. Open the NDBC webpage.
  2. You will see a table of recent ship weather observations. Search for ship ID "GBQM" (there should be one or two entries). GBQM is QM2's radio call sign. It's a long list, and not completely alphabetical, so use your browser's "find" function.
  3. You will find here basics like air temperature (column 12), wind speed and direction (columns 6 and 5, respectively), and sea temperature (column 13; let's hope you won't need that).
  4. Wind speed and direction are true wind; apparent wind (the wind over the deck, taking the ship's headway into consideration) is likely to be significantly higher.
  5. These reports also show the ship's position, if you are interested.

These reports are typically prepared by the watch officer as part of his or her bridge routine, and submitted to NOAA and/or the British HO. They are used to predict high-seas weather.

I hope that you have found this interesting, and perhaps helpful.

I hope that you have found this interesting, and perhaps helpful.

I did, thank you very much!!!!! Well I understood the sea and air temperatures and I also worked out it's in alphabetical order for how ever many hours + or - GMT position that the ship is in!! GBQM was 0 difference when I checked!! No wave readings either so I assume that she is docked!! Well just checked with the brochure and QM2 is on her way back to the UK from New York so I don't understand that one!!!!!! Any suggestions??

Elaine

Anyone have any idea how to find average September temps (maybe also the range or standard deviation). I am also going to be going over on the Sept 2 crossing and would like to get some idea of what the average ranges of weather will be.

Elaine - On our double crossing we did have negligable waves - in fact it was so calm it often felt like we were in port. And just think - can anyone say what the weather will be like in ENGLAND in September or indeed in any month.

One thing I can forcast with reasonable accuracy is that it will be b....y windy on the top outside deck.

David.

HI ZOE,

I have crossed the Atlantic 6 times at different times of the year and I can tell you that no one can tell you what the weather will be for your Sept. 2nd crossing...at least not until September 1st...LOL!!! Should be warmer temps in the 60s and 70s...but you never know until sailing time. It can be foggy and rainy or bright and sunny depending on what storms have come up from the Caribbean or down from the Arctic Circle...you just never know.

The North Atlantic is known for its peculiar nature. You can have magnificent weather one week and hurricanes the next week. When you see those tropical storms heading up the East Coast they often "blow out to sea"...well...you will quickly realize that "out to sea" means exactly where your ship is postitioned at that time.

Crossing the Atlantic is like throwing the dice...you just never know what you will get. So...stop worrying about the weather and enjoy the crossing...it is, after all, the experience of a lifetime.

Hopefully, your weather will be summer-like and smooth sailing all the way. There is also a good chance of fog in the evening at that time of year. Whatever it is...enjoy.

ROSS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone have any idea how to find average September temps (maybe also the range or standard deviation). I am also going to be going over on the Sept 2 crossing and would like to get some idea of what the average ranges of weather will be.

I crossed in September '03. It was flat calm the entire voyage, much to my dismay. Since then I have found winter crossings to be more reliably "interesting". Either way you will have a great time and become part of the proud history of trans-Atlantic ocean liners. A bad day in the North -Atlantic is better than a good day at work.

Richard

Archived