Frogs Balls -- Red Frog Pub

FTLCruiseGal

share the recipe! lol

Trying this tomorrow (soaking pigeon peas as we speak):

1 pound dried black-eyed peas (substituting pigeon peas -- official ingredient in frogs balls), sorted and rinsed

1 onion, cut into large dice

2 bay leaves

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced

canola oil for frying

2 teaspoons seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®)

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

1. Place the black-eyed peas into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight.

2. The next day, drain and rinse the peas. Pour in enough water to cover the peas by 3-inches, then stir in the onion, bay leaves, and jalapeno pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the peas are tender but not mushy, 40 to 50 minutes. Add more water if needed to keep the peas covered while cooking. Drain the peas in a colander set in the sink, and spread them onto a baking sheet lined with paper towels or dish towels to drain. Discard bay leaves, and refrigerate the peas until ready to fry.

3. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

4. Carefully pour about 1 1/2 cups of peas into the hot oil per batch, and fry until crisp, 4 to 7 minutes. Remove the peas, drain on paper towels, and toss the hot peas in a bowl with seafood seasoning and kosher salt. Serve hot.

Trying this tomorrow (soaking pigeon peas as we speak):

1 pound dried black-eyed peas (substituting pigeon peas -- official ingredient in frogs balls), sorted and rinsed

1 onion, cut into large dice

2 bay leaves

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced

canola oil for frying

2 teaspoons seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®)

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

1. Place the black-eyed peas into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight.

2. The next day, drain and rinse the peas. Pour in enough water to cover the peas by 3-inches, then stir in the onion, bay leaves, and jalapeno pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the peas are tender but not mushy, 40 to 50 minutes. Add more water if needed to keep the peas covered while cooking. Drain the peas in a colander set in the sink, and spread them onto a baking sheet lined with paper towels or dish towels to drain. Discard bay leaves, and refrigerate the peas until ready to fry.

3. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

4. Carefully pour about 1 1/2 cups of peas into the hot oil per batch, and fry until crisp, 4 to 7 minutes. Remove the peas, drain on paper towels, and toss the hot peas in a bowl with seafood seasoning and kosher salt. Serve hot.

Ladies and gentlemen -- we have success! Made these this afternoon, and almost as good as what is on the ship. When I boiled the pigeon peas, I did not throw in the onion, jalapeno, or bay leaves -- just boiled them plain. Let them dry out for about two hours, and deep fried the suckers! I feel as if I am back on the Breeze . . . . .

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but I was searching for the answer myself. I asked the bar staff and they let me take a picture of the can. They weren't sure of the spices as I said it's all mixed together. I know that there are black seeds in it. they said they simply open the can fry them and then sprinkle spices while they're still hot. It won't let me upload picture but it is dry pigeon peas by El Jibarito has a picture of a man with a hat and a mustache.

I know this is an old post but I was searching for the answer myself. I asked the bar staff and they let me take a picture of the can. They weren't sure of the spices as I said it's all mixed together. I know that there are black seeds in it. they said they simply open the can fry them and then sprinkle spices while they're still hot. It won't let me upload picture but it is dry pigeon peas by El Jibarito has a picture of a man with a hat and a mustache.

This was the same description we were given while on the Magic last year.

Unless they are RAW in the can, why boil them?

Surely...(Shirley), they should be available raw in a bag somewhere online?

• 2 weeks later...

Honey! I shrunk the frog balls!!;p

OK, to be clear, they did shrink, compared to the RFP on board version. But they are still a great bar snack..... we are almost out of them now...

We used the canned pigeon peas, rinsed most of the salt off of them. Dried for a couple of hours, then setup to fry them. We did not boil or cook them first, (maybe that's why they shrank??):cool:

We used a combo of the spices above, and some spices from this one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/spicy-oyster-crackers-recipe-1948480

This my First Edition.....OK....

a little smaller than the RFP version. Are there any left from 3 cans? NO....:)

I am thinking Carnival is using a bulk bagged version of larger pigeon peas from the S. Caribbean in the Red Frog Pubs...:cool:

One other note, to get them crisp, fry them for 2 mins, drain, wait a few minutes, and then fry them again....for 3 mins.....depends, on oil temp, mine was 375.

Edited by jwjax

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Pigeon Peas.....Red Frog Pub Frog Balls :D

Instead of frying them every time, I worked out a baked/toasted version that is close to the RFP's version.

(Just a note, I am a Bawl'd Peanut nut! I get a bushel every year and Bawl them!!, so this was a great project for an alternative snack)

Buy a BAG of Pigeon Peas, either online or at your specialty market.

Soak a cup or two of the peas in water over night.

Drain and Dry for a few hours, before cooking.

Preheat Oven to 400. Place a full layer of peas on a large sheet pan.

Either coat with veg oil, or spray with olive oil.

Coat all of the peas, then Salt heavily with Kosher salt and Seasoned Salt!

Bake in oven for 10 MINUTES only!! They tend to start popping like popcorn!

Remove from oven, let cool for a while....20-30 mins..:)

For a serving or two, place a half cup or so of the peas in a foil lined tray in a toaster oven for a Low-Med setting...

Some ovens, may require 1 more round, or some even a lower setting

?

Place on serving tray and shake to make sure all the salt is spread out.

These are not exactly the same, close. but a lot easier than frying them!!:cool: