Beer on Classic Package

Chooz2Cruz

On our last Celebrity cruise in June, there were drink specials listed on the daily schedule. Some of those drink specials fell within the Classic Drink Package pricing. Would they then be considered part of the Classic Drink package for that day?

What's strange IMO, it's people arguing about what is included in Classic, when it's $11,50/day to upgrade and they pay like couple thousand to cruise:confused:

Im not sure how far you can go with this theory though. It may be only $11.50 a day to upgrade but say they reduced the classic package to one beer, one wine, one cocktail and water making it valueless is it still ok to expect everyone to pay to upgrade cos its only $11.50? Some people save hard to buy a cruise and have spending money for their holiday and cannot afford to upgrade to get something they thought was included when they booked.

That being said it looks like the concern re the reduction in beer choices isnt valid and Celebrity have confirmed that the lists they published on here in May ( after the terrible publicity they faced here and on facebook after cutting classic package inclusions) are still valid. The menu published for beers by Gambee was posted on 14th May ( presumably after the cruise had finished ) when Celebrity produced their revised inclusions list just after that so Gambees' menu looks out of date.

Are drinks prices on eclipse published with the service included then? Does thus affect drinks package pricing at all?

Its a little bit insulting to the UK Customers really as it would seem that we are unable to grasp that all the prices on the menu have to have 15% added, it may also be explained by the lack of a tipping culture in the UK.

However the situation as I see it is that Celebrity has a fleetwide price list.

When the Eclipse sails out of Southampton the prices on the list are increased by as near as possible to 15%. This is reflected on the lists in the bars/restaurants The limits on the Classic Package are also increased by 15%.

Hence when a wine is listed at $9, you pay $10.50 on Eclipse out of Southampton, the limit on the Classic though for wine has also increased to $10.5, so its all the same. So in the case of a $6 beer, its actually $7 out of UK but the limit on the Classic has also been increased to $7.

Lots of issues caused in May when the prices went up for UK sailings but the classic limit didnt catch up for a couple of sailings. Also there was an actual price increase that has subsequently been more or less completely rolled back, only big exceptions really being Draft beer now not availble on Classic, O'Douls, and Jameson.

Edited by SWORRUB1

Why would a fake beer cost 7.50?

.....because prices have nothing to do with cost, just what they can get.

Having said that I saw no-one drinking O'Douls in 14 days! I guess if you have the premium package you are not really interested in non alcoholic drinks. (no offence intended)

Edited by SWORRUB1

Its a little bit insulting to the UK Customers really as it would seem that we are unable to grasp that all the prices on the menu have to have 15% added, it may also be explained by the lack of a tipping culture in the UK.

However the situation as I see it is that Celebrity has a fleetwide price list.

When the Eclipse sails out of Southampton the prices on the list are increased by as near as possible to 15%. This is reflected on the lists in the bars/restaurants The limits on the Classic Package are also increased by 15%.

Hence when a wine is listed at $9, you pay $10.50 on Eclipse out of Southampton, the limit on the Classic though for wine has also increased to $10.5, so its all the same. So in the case of a $6 beer, its actually $7 out of UK but the limit on the Classic has also been increased to $7.

Lots of issues caused in May when the prices went up for UK sailings but the classic limit didnt catch up for a couple of sailings. Also there was an actual price increase that has subsequently been more or less completely rolled back, only big exceptions really being Draft beer now not availble on Classic, O'Douls, and Jameson.

Ok thanks.

I don't think it's so much that uk cruisers can't do the maths and add 15%, more that the cruise lines would get a fair bit of stick from Brits unused to and unwilling to pay an additional 15%. By just upping the price, the cruise lines get what they want for the drinks, they can allocate however much they want in service charge, and many customers are basically none the wiser.

I hadn't seen it mentioned on here thus far that this was happening on eclipse though so thanks. You've saved me a little confusion next week.

A little cheap, aren't you? Boom!

I forget to mention that I cruise in cheaper cabin (ocean view) so I can put the extra $ on booze :p

How can one live with the other?

Is "cheap-skate" the new "budget genius"? :p:rolleyes:

Edited by A Sixth?

.....because prices have nothing to do with cost, just what they can get.

Having said that I saw no-one drinking O'Douls in 14 days! I guess if you have the premium package you are not really interested in non alcoholic drinks. (no offence intended)

Well it is the only beer my OH can drink so it seems he has no option but to upgrade the package we have because otherwise it is useless to him. Insane it should be a premium item and also have gone up so much in price in 2 years. It used to be one of the cheapest beers.

"

Does he drink more than 8 of them per day? If not, why get any package, just pay for them an your account...

Just a thought...."

Because we have a package as part of this cruise and when we booked last year, on board, O'Douls was in the package, though we did not have a package then, we just paid for our drinks from some OBC we had

"

Does he drink more than 8 of them per day? If not, why get any package, just pay for them an your account...

Just a thought...."

Because we have a package as part of this cruise and when we booked last year, on board, O'Douls was in the package, though we did not have a package then, we just paid for our drinks from some OBC we had

:rolleyes::p

Kinda the same handy tip on how to get cheap or free air fare, "Just use airline points" Or on getting free hotel stays "Just use hotel points!"

I understand you mean well. :D