When is the cake/champagne anniversary party on POAM?

Conanc

Just off the 7/31 PoAm. The anniversary package party was in the Plantation lounge (Deck 12, Aft) on Thursday at 6 PM. That was the day we were in Kona.

The party was sparkling wine (champagne) and cake. A package picture was taken with the sunset in the background. It was nice to meet the other couples and the host acknowledged the most recent newlyweds (5 days) and the longest married couples (50 years)..

We scheduled the dinner at the Royal Palm Bistro for the last night (Saturday) at 8 PM. That may have been a mistake, service was not good. Although another couple we traveled with went a little later and thought the service was good. We had different waiters. The food was good but my wife’s filet was under cooked.

I thought the anniversary package was worth the cost.

When I get more time, I'll post more information.

-Cruz42NJ

Thanks so much for the information! Can't wait to hear all about your cruise and excursions! Until then, may I ask two quick questions? Would you sail on POAM again? Are there still a lot of kinks to work out?

Thank you!

Would we sail the PoAm a second time? Probably not. But, not because it was negative experience. If I want to take a cruise, there are better ships. If I want to go to Hawaii, I would do a land based trip and spend more time on individual islands.

Our expectations were lowered by all the bad reviews. But, the cruise was comparable but not as good as our other cruises. And Hawaii is great.

Most of the kinks have been worked out. We did not run into any service problems until the last night. The waiter in the Royal Palm Bistro specialty restaurant was not very good. And our room steward missed cleaning the room. It took us over an hour to get towels for the last mornings shower.

We also were 1 1/2 hours late getting to Hilo (headwinds) and 5 hours late leaving (mechanical problem- engine). Due to the late departure, the ship did not go to the lava flow off the Big Island to make up the time. And we never heard any announcement that it was cancelled until the next morning.

So, we got up every half hour starting at 1:30 AM to check for it.

None of this, plus a medical problem my wife had, spoiled the cruise.

The ship's doctor handled my wife's problem very well. And she never missed a meal. Two excursions, but no meals.

That's it for now.

-Cruz42NJ

Thank you for answering my questions so honestly. I really appreciate it. To be completed honest with you, the reason I asked is that I have an aft cabin on hold on POAM and a regular balcony cabin on Royal Caribbean for a 10 night Radiance of the Seas Hawaii cruise on hold as well. I am driving myself crazy trying to decide -- they both have pros and cons and I change my mind daily! I am almost to the point where I don't want to go anymore! LOL! We'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary and want it to be special which is why I am struggling with the decision. Thank you!!

Boy, do I feel dumb. I answered your questions on Pride of America (PoAm) based on my 7/31 cruise on Pride of Aloha (PoAl). It must be the jet lag. And I was anxious to help since I got so much form this board.

So, your anniversary party may not be Thursday. My other oberservations may help but the Pride of America is a newer ship and might be better.

Good Luck with your decision. Both should be good options.

-Cruz42NJ

No problem -- thanks for the info anyway. It sounds like the anniversary package was worth it and we'll probably go for it if we decide to stick with NCL and not RCCL. It's looking more like NCL is the way for us to go at this point.

Thanks!

Conanc: Royal Caribbean offers similar "romance packages". We purchased one on Explorer of the Seas but it didn't include a champagne/cake party. I highy recommend both the anniversary (NCL) and romance (RCCL) packages. You really get alot for the price.

Archived