What do you do on a long flight?

repeater

In addition to a tablet, a smartphone can be your friend. For our Med cruise last June, I downloaded and installed the World Travel Guide, and Rick Steve's audio guide. I then downloaded the various countries we were visiting (for the first app), and many of Rick Steve's audio casts. Make sure you turn off your data plan before leaving the US. Mine are all Android but I believe you can also get them for iPhone - see your app store.

Our flight (US Airways) had a movie screen built into each seatback, and very new movies, so I watched about 3 each way (just can't sleep on flights, not more than an hour or so). If your phone charges off of a USB port/cord, bring it in case your seat has a USB port.

Also, for good reading on your tablet or phone, visit TomsPortGuides.com and download his free guides for the cities you'll be visiting - they're chock full of great information for cruisers.

I bring along all sorts of 'stuff' but my goal is to try and sleep on those overnight flights - but unfortunately I am NOT a good airplane snoozer - so I try to 'rest' with eyes closed wishing I could fall asleep.

I have heard of, and have some, no jet lag pills - I have read some good reports - but I remember something about have to take them every 2 hrs or something? Or before/during flights? Which precludes sleeping if you need to take the pills every few hours? LOL (unless you just lie there like I do trying NOT to look at that map on the screen showing how 'far away' we still are).

Has anyone ever tried adjusting their body clock before they leave? I know some travellers who start about a week out - moving their bedtime and wakeup times a few hours in the days preceding travel - so that they are better adjusted to the time change.

Wish I could try that but since I work this does not seem convenient or doable at this time....but sounds like not a bad idea if you are retired or at home and can 'fool' your body into getting into a different time zone quite gradually?

Edited by Froufie