We don't expect...

davyjones

On the Queen Mary we were seated at a table for 6 with a couple and their very spoiled 8-year old daughter and one empty seat. They spent the entire first evening fussing over their daughter and not conversing with us. We asked to be moved after one night. We moved to a table for 8 with some really funny people and enjoyed them tremendously.

I am still not sure, however, about sitting with the same people every night for two weeks. Even when we travel with friends on Princess and both have anytime dining, we don't eat together every night. Maybe we will be lucky on our upcoming Baltic cruise.

Edited by PunkiC

It's no stereotype that's about correct most everywhere here.

The British are very traditional.

David.

Most definately not the norm in the UK. It may well have been 100 years ago, but even then only amongst the very wealthy.

We didn't love the "push chair" next to us with the invisable one playing with their iPad that was on full volume...or the one screaming thruout dinner...or the family that thought the little ones rule.

Personally, I dont think that this is acceptable behaviour anywhere. Even in McDonalds I would find this very anoying.

I know a number of families with children ranging from todlers to teenagers. I am shocked at how many of them think it acceptable for the child to be fed off a tray in front of the TV, or to play with a phone whilst eating. Let them eat with the parents, use the cutlery correctly and share conversation. This way when you take them on a cruise they will fit in and be accepted by all.

On the Queen Mary we were seated at a table for 6 with a couple and their very spoiled 8-year old daughter and one empty seat. They spent the entire first evening fussing over their daughter and not conversing with us. We asked to be moved after one night. We moved to a table for 8 with some really funny people and enjoyed them tremendously.

I am still not sure, however, about sitting with the same people every night for two weeks. Even when we travel with friends on Princess and both have anytime dining, we don't eat together every night. Maybe we will be lucky on our upcoming Baltic cruise.

On QM2 QG WC2012, S'ton to Capetown we had a couple sitting at a table for 2 next to our table for 6. Every other night they changed their dinner arrangement with their well dressed and well behaving kids (boy and girl, ca 12 years old) who where booked in a standard inside. Never ever had anyone on any other table reason to complain.

We always enjoyed the permanent company of other Grill Guest at the table. They all varied in their provenance and personal social history from a plumber to an Earl.

Most definately not the norm in the UK. It may well have been 100 years ago, but even then only amongst the very wealthy.

Oh I can assure you that most Brits with children have a nanny as well as a ladies maid, valet, butler, chauffeur and cook.

There are of course some who have to manage with a housekeeper only, but most of us have little to with the lower classes.

David.

... Let them eat with the parents, use the cutlery correctly and share conversation. This way when you take them on a cruise they will fit in and be accepted by all.

How true. When our son was very young, we would dress him in a suit and tie when going out to a fine restaurant, albeit not a frequent occurrence. He knew this was a special occasion and his behaviour was impeccable. He was three when we took him on his first Atlantic crossing on the QE2 - in Tourist Class, Mauretania Restaurant - and several people from neighbouring tables came by to say hello and comment on how elegant he looked. Yes, he had plenty of time to enjoy being a child and spent a fair amount of time in the children's room. But for the evening meal he fitted right in with the mostly adult passengers.

As he got a little older we took him on a few cruises on the P&O's Canberra. P&O had a much better children's programme than Cunard did. There was a "children's tea" at five o'clock, but it was not mandatory and he dined with us at first sitting.

Oh I can assure you that most Brits with children have a nanny as well as a ladies maid, valet, butler, chauffeur and cook.

There are of course some who have to manage with a housekeeper only, but most of us have little to with the lower classes.

David.

Where would one be without one's Estate Manager?

That practise ended in 1949.

Times have changed since, please realize this now.

The voyage I described took place Aug l954

It lasted 21 days , I should know , my family were passengers, my children were aged 4 and 6 years respectively. We did not have a Nanny, I had to take them to the children's meals

and arrange for sitters .

Normally my great grandchildren eat with adults , but there are times when they have their own meals apart from the adults, and believe me the adults are "working class" but they still want time without the fussing from children over the food etc.

I realize a great many things, and I have a very , very LONG memory.

The voyage I described took place Aug l954

I realize a great many things, and I have a very , very LONG memory.

Sorry, I forgot to realise that England always kept longer to traditions.

I know someone there who is waiting for 66 years now just to qualify for his job, but his mum is still good enough...

Ah, probably because he sacked the stable master and kept the horse:p

Edited by cunardaddict

I know someone there who is waiting for 66 years now just to qualify for his job, but his mum is still good enough...

/QUOTE]

If I try really hard I can sometimes feel a bit sorry for him.

David.

/QUOTE]

If I try really hard I can sometimes feel a bit sorry for him.

David.

Well, at least he's got the horse.

Btw: Does he dine at mum's table?