Is 8 ships in port way too crowded???

benjidog

I just discovered a web site that shows how many ships will be in port with you. The day we go to Georgetown there will be 8. And I've read that Georgetown in a tender port and sometimes takes very long. We are there from 8 to 5. We had hoped to go to stingray city (but see them from a boat, not snorkel) and do a glass bottom boat ride. At this point, I think I'd only book excursions from the cruise company. I'm too afraid of being left in a foreign country. I'm sure we won't be able to do both excursions. They have a stingray city and city tour that is 3 1/2 hours. Would we even have enough time for that???? The glass bottom boat is only an hour. If we do that, is there enough shopping to do near the dock? Thanks in advance for all your help.

I wouldn't sweat it. We booked with Nativeway Watersports, and they were very cognizant of the cruise line schedules...and if there are 8 ships in port on your day, there are 8 ships in port every week on that day, so they understand the timing. The tender lines can be very long coming back, but I can't imagine anyone in line would be left behind. And unless you're physically unable....get in there with the stingrays. The water is only waist deep so you don't need to snorkel or even swim to enjoy them...and they really are amazing.

Thanks for the link... I think! :)

I just found out that there are 11 ships in port the day we are in Cozumel... wow that's a lot of people! At least knowing what to expect ahead of time means that I can "mentally prepare" myself for huge crowds... then if it's not as bad as I imagine I'll be pleasantly surprised... right?

Honestly, I'll be in the Caribbean in January... what's to complain about, huh?;)

I wouldn't sweat it. We booked with Nativeway Watersports, and they were very cognizant of the cruise line schedules...and if there are 8 ships in port on your day, there are 8 ships in port every week on that day, so they understand the timing.

Because there are 8 ships in port on a given day doesn't not mean there will be 8 ships in port every week on that day. There are many 10 day cruises. These ships will not be in the a port on the same day every cruise. Different times of the year also play apart in this.

Take a look at Grand Cayman on cruisecal.com. Select 2 or 3 months, sort it by date you will see. :)

I think 11 ships in Cozumel won't be so bad. This is my first cruise, but I understand that at Cozumel they dock. At Georgetown they use tenders. And I've read that if the port is really busy that they anchor way out and the tenders take a long time. I guess we'll just wait and see. But I do think this means we need to book excurtions plenty of time in advance for both ports.

Yeah, they dock at Cozumel, and there is more than one port. But with 11 ships, it will probably be a case of having the early ships dock, unloading passengers, then moving out so that others can dock. Returning to the ship might require tendering.

For the Thursday we're in Gr Cayman in Nov, cruisecal has listed 10-11 ships!!!

Check also "caymanport.com" (Port Authority of Grand Cayman website) and click on cruise ship schedule -- then view by month of your travel. Today their schedule for our date (Nov 17) lists only 9 ships. So things are looking better!!!!

For Nov 17 -- cruisecal list has 2 more ships not on port authority list, and cruisecal does not have 1 ship that port authority has on it's list!!!!

I would think that the port authority's list would be more accurate!

For the Thursday we're in Gr Cayman in Nov, cruisecal has listed 10-11 ships!!!

Check also "caymanport.com" (Port Authority of Grand Cayman website) and click on cruise ship schedule -- then view by month of your travel. Today their schedule for our date (Nov 17) lists only 9 ships. So things are looking better!!!!

For Nov 17 -- cruisecal list has 2 more ships not on port authority list, and cruisecal does not have 1 ship that port authority has on it's list!!!!

I would think that the port authority's list would be more accurate!

Okay, I just did a comparison for our day.

Cruisecal shows the Celebrity Zenith and NCL Jewel in port, Cayman does not. However, Celebrity's itinerary for the Zenith DOES show them in - NCL's Jewel is actually in the day before.

Cayman shows the Holiday Dream in port, Cruisecal does not. Most of Pullmantur's sites are in Spanish so I didn't bother verifying - I'll just assume it is in port. That puts us back to 10.... 10 - 2 + 1 + 1.

Sigh.

I'm the webmaster of cruisecal.com. I update my site monthly with information provided by the cruise lines. Sometimes they change itineraries between my updates. If I have a different itinerary and someone brings it to my attention, I try to change it promptly. There are also some lines I have not added... yet. I try to do that as I find them.

The Port Authority does sometimes have different information than my site because they have to deal directly with all the lines and schedule accordingly.

I know my site isn't 100% accurate but, it is close!:)

Brian

CruiseCal.com

I checked the port authority web site for Grand Cayman and I'm down to 7. But I'm sure that changes a lot. My trip is in January, but I did notice that Thursday is there busiest day. I think we'll book through the ship just to make sure we don't have a problem with our excursion.

And Brian, thanks for your web site. I haven't had a chance to check out the web cams yet, but I will.

"Yeah, they dock at Cozumel, and there is more than one port. But with 11 ships, it will probably be a case of having the early ships dock, unloading passengers, then moving out so that others can dock. Returning to the ship might require tendering."

There are three piers that I know of and they handle a couple of ships each.

Other ships can anchor offshore and tender in. The ships docked at the piers do not leave and make room for others while their passengers are on shore.

We sailed the Triumph in March 2003 and tendered in GC with 10 other ships. It was packed! We were taking a ship sponsored tour and we could barely get through people to find our tour. It is very crowded and shopping was difficult. Maybe it was just the day but with 20,000 extra people (??) it was very congested. I don't think you need to worry about a 3 1/2 tour since you'll have plenty of time before and after. Just be prepared for lots of people!

Hi somewhere in the sun,

I didn't have time to go back and read my posts, but yes we are booked for 1-8 on Radiance of the Seas. We're doing the Elvis thing on the cruise (I assume since you said "his cruise" that that's what you mean). I know I wrote about Elvis, but I think it was on another thread. From what our TA told us, you can only do the Elvis events if you book through her. I don't know if I quite believe that, and she was about $60 higher pp then RC web site. My DH really wanted to go on this cruise, so I bit the bullet and booked it at her price.

Sue

Archived