How is CB different from other Grand-class ships?

calikak

I saw some discussion on another thread that made me wonder about how the Caribbean Princess is similar or different from other Grand-class ships (not Gem-class, just the Grand/Golden/Star). I was under the impression that the design of the CB is nearly identical to the Grand/Golden/Star, with the exception of an extra deck of cabins and a Movies Under the Stars screen. So, I have two sets of questions. The first is purely factual, and the second is mostly about opinion, not facts, because we all know how fun it is to get on our soap boxes around here! :D

1. Are there any other physical differences between the CB and other Grand-class ships that I don't know about?

2. Do the physical differences create a different cruise experience on the CB than other Princess ships? If so, does the Grand (which also has a MUTS screen) offer a CB-like experience, or a Golden/Star-like experience? Do other factors (the target market for the ship?) specific to the CB create a different cruise experience than on other ships?

The primary difference between the Caribbean Princess and other "grand" class ships (I've sailed on Star, Golden, and Grand) is the addition of the Riveria Deck, which accommodates approximately 500 additional passengers. While I would tell you that I didn't notice the extra passengers, some feel that the public areas on the CB tend to be more crowded, longer lines for dinner, embarkation, and disembarkation, more difficulty being seated in Princess Theater, etc. DH and I tend not to sweat the small stuff, so these issues didn't bother us.

I will admit that finding luggage in the terminal following disembarking the ship was a nightmare, but, thanks to this board, I have some ideas about how to rectify this for our second cruise on the CB next January.

Part of the reason that DH and I are doing an encore cruise on the Caribbean Princess is that we absolutely loved the ship and its ambiance. We are in our mid-50s and felt very comfortable with everyone onboard. It was the youngest crowd we'd experienced on any Princess ship, and we enjoyed the energy level and general excitement on this magnificent vessel.

We also need a return visit to take in all the activities that we simply didn't have time for the first time around: never made it to MUTS, didn't eat at Cafe Caribe, missed the production shows (ok, they were crowded), missed the 50s-60s dance party, never had a seat for Bert Stratton, to name a few. We can't wait to embark this fantastic ship again on January 28, 2006.

I think it's safe to say that many passengers on our previous CB cruise were there to "check out" this brand new mega ship, but I believe that most found that the Caribbean Princess provides a wonderful onboard experience. You will absolutely love this ship!

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Yes, there is a Sterlings and Sabatinis on the CB.

The differences between the MUTs on the Grand and the CB seem to fit into two categories: 1. structural--the CB was designed with MUTS and on the Grand it was added. I didn't notice much difference from this--perhaps others did. 2.) way MUTs is operated. On the Grand, reservations not required or given, at least when we went. Because CB has more people, I expect it is necessary. We were always able to find a lounger on the Grand which was available, though. Also, on CB the staff seemed to hang around longer at the MUTS showing and they didn't run out of popcorn or Wizard of Oz stuff. On the Grand, when we went, we were always at MUTs by the start of the feature, but hey always had run out of popcorn by then. They didn't bring enough of the Wizard of Oz bags because they didn't expect that many people--said they would come back with more, but never did. I did think that MUTS was louder on CB than on the Grand, but I think the volume is determined by the CD.

I didn't think that the addition of MUTs caused the ship to be a different cruising experience than the other Grand class ships. I think most differences stem from the additional number of people and the marketing approach.

Chris, I would also be interested in your luggage finding tips. :)

Cruizinchris: Could you share with us what tips you learned about finding your luggage upon disembarkation? We don't cruise til June, but could use any hints given!

Jobro2,

I'd be glad to!

A few people suggested brightly colored ribbons, bows, or yarn for ease in identifying luggage. I plan to purchase some really "loud" fabric or ribbon prior to our cruise and tie this to the handles on all of our bags prior to disembarkation. This should make it a little easier to identify our luggage in the sea of bags in the terminal following disembarkation.

I've noticed that Halloween decorations are coming out now, and I think this might be just the thing to catch my eye following our cruise in January!

Bon Voyage!

Chris

The lounge in the back of the ship, which is the Vista Show Lounge on the Golden, is now re designed and called Club Fusion on the CB.

I liked the Golden with Vista a lot better. Many of the shows that were in the Vista on the Golden were in Exploreres on the CB. Explorers is a lot smaller and it was sometimes difficult to get a seat if you did not arrive 30 minutes or more before the show started. Club Fusion really didn't do it for me...

Other than that, I would have thought I was on the same ship.

Archived