Manta, Ecuador

DesertPesce7751

We're going to be in Manta, Ecuador on HAL's Staatendam in November. Want to do something special for my birthday, but the ship's choices seem a bit limited. Anyone have any suggestions? We enjoy nature, seafood, archaeology…not so much into shopping, Spanish history, churches. Any suggestions appreciated!

We stopped there in December 2011. We did an excursion going to a small town away from the port, then back to the port and to a museum. It was good, but Manta doesn't offer a lot compared to Lima. I don't think it is a place to get too far from the port on your own.

We stopped there in December 2011. We did an excursion going to a small town away from the port, then back to the port and to a museum. It was good, but Manta doesn't offer a lot compared to Lima. I don't think it is a place to get too far from the port on your own.

The one that looks the most appealing is a birding tour. We might do that if there's nothing easy to put together privately. What is the area like near the ship?

The one that looks the most appealing is a birding tour. We might do that if there's nothing easy to put together privately. What is the area like near the ship?

We were in Manta in December 2013. The ship docks in an industrial area, which requires a shuttle to the port exit. There truthfully is not much in Manta itself. If you take a right out of the port exit, you can wander a few shops and the beach. It took us maybe 45 minutes to walk the beach until we headed back. Taking a left out of the port, you can go into the main town, which didn't feel particularly appealing or safe. We just went to a grocery store and bought some necessities and headed back to the ship. I would really suggest taking a ship's tour. Even one that doesn't sound very exciting would probably be a better option than trying to wander Manta.

Michael

We were in Manta in 2013. We were on a private excursion that went to a rain forest outside of town full of howler monkeys, Granada where they make panama hats and some museum in town. The town itself is not very appealing. I am sorry but I do not have the name of the tour agency that was used. I would google Manta for independent tour operators. Outside of the gates of the cruise terminal, there are taxis that are more than willing to help. They seemed very aggressive to me. We had to wait for the tour bus (twelve person) to arrive. There was a bit of a miscommunication. Lunch was included. If I find the tour agency, I'll post it.

Bill

We were in Manta in 2013. We were on a private excursion that went to a rain forest outside of town full of howler monkeys, Granada where they make panama hats and some museum in town. The town itself is not very appealing. I am sorry but I do not have the name of the tour agency that was used. I would google Manta for independent tour operators. Outside of the gates of the cruise terminal, there are taxis that are more than willing to help. They seemed very aggressive to me. We had to wait for the tour bus (twelve person) to arrive. There was a bit of a miscommunication. Lunch was included. If I find the tour agency, I'll post it.

Bill

That would be SO great! It would be the perfect birthday adventure. Thank you!

Hi. We were in Manta in May. Our friends organized a tour with Metromanabi Tours. We were picked up at the ship, had an excellent English-speaking guide and air conditioned van. He took us down the coast to an area were the fishing boats came in. We got to see and walk through the goings on of the local fishermen. We went to Pacoche Forest for a walking tour of the rainforest, getting to see many birds, monkeys and plants. We had a wonderful lunch at a local restaurant. We went to a museum in town and did some shopping.

The price was $130pp, with entrance fees and lunch included. Their address is: http://www.metropolitantouring.com.ec, in case you want to check them out.

Hi. We were in Manta in May. Our friends organized a tour with Metromanabi Tours. We were picked up at the ship, had an excellent English-speaking guide and air conditioned van. He took us down the coast to an area were the fishing boats came in. We got to see and walk through the goings on of the local fishermen. We went to Pacoche Forest for a walking tour of the rainforest, getting to see many birds, monkeys and plants. We had a wonderful lunch at a local restaurant. We went to a museum in town and did some shopping.

The price was $130pp, with entrance fees and lunch included. Their address is: http://www.metropolitantouring.com.ec, in case you want to check them out.

Thank you so much! That sounds like EXACTLY what we're looking for. How was your guide's English? I know Italian and some survival Spanish but the rest of our party would really be better off with an English-fluent guide. I didn't see any English versions of their site, so I filled out the form in Spanish. I really hope this works out!

I wish I could remember his name. I thought his English was fine. He carried on casual and "tour-guide" conversations without any problem. I don't know how many guides this company has. Maybe you could request someone with excellent English.

Our guide in the rain forest was a local naturalist. He didn't speak English well, so our guide translated back and forth.

My friend was able to find an English version of their website. The person who arranged the tour was named Maria. She sent us emails with perfect English.

I hope this information helps you.

Agree with poster Katz re: tour company. We had a German lady who spoke excellent English and Spanish. She was some kind of missionary who moonlighted as a tour guide. However, she was very knowledgable. The only problem was the guide at the rain forest. They only speak Spanish and our tour guide translated. She had been there many times and was knowledgable and knew what the guide was saying with no problem. Remember Ecuador uses US dollars as their currency. Have a great trip.

Bill

I wished the guide in the forest was able to speak English. I could see in his eyes how passionate he was about what he was doing, and I think that he wanted to communicate his love of the rainforest with us.

He was able to get us really close to a group of Howler monkeys. I must say that the sounds that come out of those little things is quite scary, but in a good way.

I wished the guide in the forest was able to speak English. I could see in his eyes how passionate he was about what he was doing, and I think that he wanted to communicate his love of the rainforest with us.

He was able to get us really close to a group of Howler monkeys. I must say that the sounds that come out of those little things is quite scary, but in a good way.

Agree totally with your comments. Those little guys can make a lot of noise.

Bill