Emergency drill

PurpleMoonlight

What is the capacity of this Marin Ark system. What is the life expectancy of a person in Arctic waters. isn't it better to go quickly.

They vary - can't recall Aurora's although I suspect it is predominantly for crew. Celebrity Eclipse uses them as do many other cruise ships and in fact you are far less likely to fall in the water using this system so I would guess in the Arctic it is far better - also the rafts are fully enclosed - doesn't the muster drill tell you to go put on warm clothing and a head covering?? :)

Edited by Host Sharon

Why do cruise passengers always associate muster drills with evacuating the ship by taking to the survival craft. That's the very last thing that you would ever do, an absolute last resort.

Having had some experience of survival craft I can tell you that I for one will would be more than happy to stick to the safety of the passenger lounge until there is no alternative. A trip in a "lifeboat" for real will not be like when the same craft are used for tendering purposes.

Most emergencies can be safely dealt with by the crew while the passengers are safely ensconced in their relevant assembly points (muster stations). The last thing that they would need in an emergency situation is passengers doing their own thing and wandering around the ship.

The first thing said? In the unlikely event of an emergency.

Unlikely. Really unlikely. Thank heavens.

Unlikely but not totally rare. My out-laws have been on two cruises where fires have occurred on board and it was necessary for the passengers to move to muster stations. I have been on one cruise where the ship passed a ferry off Italy that had caught fire and we could see the survival rafts in the water from our lunch table in the dining room. The ships photographers had a bit of a run on photographs for that one, so even a disaster for some has benefits for others.

What does surprise me is that the shipping company goes to a great deal of trouble to limit risks and the likelihood of fire in passenger cabins yet some still insist on taking travel irons and multi-gang electrical adapters on board with them.

On Oriana in March this year a couple on our dining table didn't go to muster. They said nobody checked their cabin but later that evening they had a letter telling them they had to attend a safety briefing the next morning as they hadn't attended muster. They were the only ones and made to feel very uncomfortable. So somehow it was known they hadn't attended. Daft of them not to go as it was their first cruise for a long time and he was disabled.

Tilly27

It is really not long since the Concordia and with the remains of that ship only recently being removed from the sea bed to Genoa it is difficult to believe that people would not take the muster drill seriously. :confused: of course a sinking is an unlikely event but whilst the risks are low, the impact can be catastrophic so seems like a small imposition to spend 1/2 hour or so away from the bar, or unpacking your cases when it might just save your life.

There are a number of passengers on any cruise/flight who take the view that the laid down rules/regulations only apply to others and not them, and when their non-compliance is pointed out to them they take exception.I suppose that is human nature.

You are right, but I wouldnt limit it to flights and cruises, I would say everyday life!

There are a number of passengers on any cruise/flight who take the view that the laid down rules/regulations only apply to others and not them, and when their non-compliance is pointed out to them they take exception.I suppose that is human nature.

No they take GREAT exception. After all rules are for other people to comply with and not for them. However I bet that they are usually the first to quote rules and regulations when it suits them.

Crew have many more safety briefings/drills than any passenger. This is to ensure that they are well trained in securing our safety (and their own) in the unlikely event of an emergency. If they don't attend a safety briefing, they can be fired on the spot and sent home at the next port of call. Most cruise lines take passenger safety very seriously indeed; why can't passengers reciprocate, just for a half hour or so? It beggars belief that some people think they can survive any disaster at sea just by being able to swim. IMO, they are, quite simply, arrogant fools.

I refer you to Sir Douglas Bader regarding "rules".

Douglas Bader had some very admirable qualities, in fact he was my hero for many years, but he was also human and also had some unfortunate traits that on occasions made him not a very nice man at all. He was quite selfish at times and often unreasonable from what I have heard and read. There again it is often said that the unreasonable man makes progress.