Paying bill in dollars at end of Cruise from UK

For sailing from Southampton back to Southampton, I'm sure last year we exchanged pounds to dollars before the holiday and then paid our bill at the end in dollars on the ship. I can't remember why we did this, I presume it was more cost effective - is this because the exchange rate is high on board?

This issue is not cruise line specific. Any product not paid in the 'home' currency will result in an unfavorable rate with any company.

Even on credit card transactions when traveling it is best to choose the home currency and allow your bank to do the currency conversion at bank rates.

Adayatatime, we are UK Cruisers and how we deal with the Bill is a little different, On the embarkation day we visit the Pursers Desk and deposit a sum of Dollars behind the desk, We then keep a check and top up as required, then on the eve of the last day when settling up I collect the outstanding balance. Its like the Slot Pull I always win on the last Roll :D:D

For sailing from Southampton back to Southampton, I'm sure last year we exchanged pounds to dollars before the holiday and then paid our bill at the end in dollars on the ship. I can't remember why we did this, I presume it was more cost effective - is this because the exchange rate is high on board?

When you complete "on line check in" you are required to give a credit card number and are then asked if you wish to use RCI's exchange rates or if you wish your own credit card company to provide a currency exchange. We use our credit card company to provide the currency exchange from dollars to pounds as they do not charge a fee, also the exchange rate is the bank rate which is cheaper than having to buy dollars prior to travelling. We have done this on every cruise.

Last sentence is on the dot...Royal's exchange rate is robbery.

Its not rci's rate.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=5508&faqSubjectId=472&faqSubjectName=Foreign+Currency&faqType=faq

They do charge a fee though, just like the banks that cc's are tied to

You can get credit cards in UK that do not charge a fee if you bank with them.

We have just finished our cruise on The Independence yesterday, and we paid our bill with a pre-loaded travel money card. We have one for Euros for going ashore, and one for Dollars for onboard. The benefit is that you can pre-load them at any point up to your cruise, when the exchange rate is at it's best for you. (I managed to get $1.69 to the pound before we went.)

I don't know what the exchange rate is onboard, but I do know we nearly used the onboard cash machine for Euros but then discovered there was a $6 charge. We used a bank onshore instead :)

We have just finished our cruise on The Independence yesterday, and we paid our bill with a pre-loaded travel money card. We have one for Euros for going ashore, and one for Dollars for onboard. The benefit is that you can pre-load them at any point up to your cruise, when the exchange rate is at it's best for you. (I managed to get $1.69 to the pound before we went.)

I don't know what the exchange rate is onboard, but I do know we nearly used the onboard cash machine for Euros but then discovered there was a $6 charge. We used a bank onshore instead :)

Interesting with regard to using the pre-loaded currency card because previously RCI have advised that they do not accept them Did you set up a cash account and pay the balance as a one-off transaction using your pre-loaded card?

Interesting with regard to using the pre-loaded currency card because previously RCI have advised that they do not accept them Did you set up a cash account and pay the balance as a one-off transaction using your pre-loaded card?

We just registered our card when we went though check-in at Southampton. They lady did double check with someone else, but all was fine. Ours was a well known travel card from a well known comparison website, but it also had Mastercard on it, but it is definitely a Travel Money Card and not a Mastercard. (Really trying hard here not to mention any name through fear of being accused of promoting anything :eek:) An old travel card that we had, which has now expired, only had the name of the holiday company on it. There was no Mastercard/Visa on it, so that may be the difference?

We then just loaded it with $ every time the rate was favourable. When we got free wifi onshore, we did check the balance, and you can see how RC are putting a hold on the funds on a daily basis. A long seasoned RC cruiser told us that RC do this with credit cards as well. They supposedly do it on a nightly basis with all bank/credit/travel/cards, to ensure people have sufficient funds or credit limits, and don't get to the end of the cruise and have nothing to pay their bill with. Not sure how true that is, but it makes sense :).