European mini cruises

wineoclock

I need it get my cruise fix this year & are looking at the mini cruises in November or December. Does anyone know what the crossing may be like? I'm going with a friend who says she won't go if it's likely to be rough.

Also I need an accessible cabin; do the non suite cabins have a walk in shower or is it shower over bath configuration?

Thanks

I've done three TAs... The one in January got a little rugged... The two this summer were pretty much smooth as silk! I've been told to expect some rough weather in the winter...

As for room/bath configurations... Only in Grills have I seen tubs with showers. In Britannia Club - deck 12 - it was a small walk-in shower.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I need it get my cruise fix this year & are looking at the mini cruises in November or December. Does anyone know what the crossing may be like? I'm going with a friend who says she won't go if it's likely to be rough.

Also I need an accessible cabin; do the non suite cabins have a walk in shower or is it shower over bath configuration?

Thanks

First the shower. All the non suite cabins have a walk in shower. It is not very large and has a curtain not a sliding door. It has a pull out washing line attached high up on the wall, I use this almost every night when washing my underwear, most dry overnight. It is very easy.

Mini cruises. I was on the "horrible "July 13-21 mini cruises 2/4/2 days as it was sold in Germany, though in USA/Canada this was sold only as a 8 day cruise for full price.

The experience would not persuade anyone to book Cunard (QM2) for a longer cruise. The bad behavior of the mini cruisers was really bad, pushing , shoving, abusing staff, even the Maitre D", ignoring his table allocation, they just pushed in and chose which ever table they wanted. often smoking in the theatre, talking so loud they drowned out the performers.

As for Kings Court, you would have thought they had been starved , they piled their plates so high the food just vanished like snow in 90 degree heat.- and the stations were not replenished.

There were 2,000 mini cruisers on board , one lot for a 2 day cruise, another for the 4 day , and a third bunch for the second 2 day. Total with changes of 6,000 people !!!!

They dressed as though going to clean out the house gutters. Who packs any formal or semi formal wear for just short trips.?

Only do a mini cruise if you feel you must get away, better IMO to save the money and do a normal cruise another time.

Thanks

A crossing is a Voyage across the Atlantic & a European Mini Cruise is something completely different.

The title of the thread is European mini cruise so presumably the OP means crossing the English Channel/North Sea.

One of these cruises:

QE:

Dec 16 2014 - 3 Days Europe

Southampton, Zeebrugge, Southampton

Dec 19 2014 - 4 Days Europe

Southampton, Amsterdam, Southampton

QV

Dec 29 2014 - 5 Days Europe

Southampton, Amsterdam, Zeebrugge, Southampton

QM2

Nov 26 2014 - 4 Days Europe

Southampton, Le Havre, Zeebrugge, Southampton

Dec 12 2014 - 3 Days Europe

Southampton, Zeebrugge, Southampton

A photo of an accessible cabin on the QE:

hx7nt3.jpg

Thank you ray. Yes I had meant crossing the channel. I didn't know crossing only meant the Atlantic! You learn something new every day. The photo of the accessible cabin is great, it means I know what to expect.

Jimsgirl- I had wondered whether people in a mini cruise behave differently than to longer cruises & it seems they do.

Lots to think about....

I've been on 4 mini cruises (3 x 4 days and 1 x 5 days) and none of them were "booze cruises".

No problems with choppy seas on any of those but I've crossed the North Sea on a ferry in April which was calm one way but very choppy coming back the next day. And I've crossed the Channel in a November which was calm and in a July choppy.

Thank you ray. Yes I had meant crossing the channel. I didn't know crossing only meant the Atlantic! You learn something new every day. The photo of the accessible cabin is great, it means I know what to expect.

Jimsgirl- I had wondered whether people in a mini cruise behave differently than to longer cruises & it seems they do.

Lots to think about....

Pack your tux if a formal night is indicated, you'll be in good company.

There is definitely a different atmosphere onboard a mini cruise[let's enjoy ourselves and so pack everything into a very short time] and yes, I'd say a different passenger mix, as in more obvious groups and possibly more trying Cunard for the first time. Whatever, still a very enjoyable few days.

Bearing that in mind, book your mini cruise. You will enjoy it. :)

I've been on 4 mini cruises (3 x 4 days and 1 x 5 days) and none of them were "booze cruises".

No problems with choppy seas on any of those but I've crossed the North Sea on a ferry in April which was calm one way but very choppy coming back the next day. And I've crossed the Channel in a November which was calm and in a July choppy.

Oh well, it's choppy right now...

Lots to think about....

Accessible cabins can only be booked on a Cunard fare . With a Saver fare you have to take the cabin given as you can not chose your cabin.

Lots to think about....

Do people behave differently. The answer has to be yes.

Numerous reasons

1/ Some have never cruised before and do not know the "rights and wrongs", written or "unwritten"

2/ If you are packing for just 2 or 3 days you do not think in terms of Formal, its usually just a back pack or carry on, or wear what you travelled in .

3/ On a 2 or 3 day , everything has to be crammed into the time span, so passengers rush madly from one place to another, or delegate a member of the group to "save a seat", causing irritation to regular cruisers.

4/ The cruise line definitely cuts "life on board", cheaper and smaller menu's , even more expensive price for drinks. More "tacky table sales ", They reduce the experience to the lowest common denominator, they know only a small % of the 2 or 3 day passengers will sail with them again.

5/ Often these type of trips are sold cheaply for "groups" from a local club, a travel agent in the High Street of certain area, a Senior Living Home, Football Fan club, etc. so there are LARGE groups instead of couples , or solo's and people regardless of where they are from -once in a group develop a group mentality. They become noisy, pushy, and sometimes aggressive.

Do people behave differently. The answer has to be yes.

Numerous reasons

1/ Some have never cruised before and do not know the "rights and wrongs", written or "unwritten"

2/ If you are packing for just 2 or 3 days you do not think in terms of Formal, its usually just a back pack or carry on, or wear what you travelled in .

3/ On a 2 or 3 day , everything has to be crammed into the time span, so passengers rush madly from one place to another, or delegate a member of the group to "save a seat", causing irritation to regular cruisers.

4/ The cruise line definitely cuts "life on board", cheaper and smaller menu's , even more expensive price for drinks. More "tacky table sales ", They reduce the experience to the lowest common denominator, they know only a small % of the 2 or 3 day passengers will sail with them again.

5/ Often these type of trips are sold cheaply for "groups" from a local club, a travel agent in the High Street of certain area, a Senior Living Home, Football Fan club, etc. so there are LARGE groups instead of couples , or solo's and people regardless of where they are from -once in a group develop a group mentality. They become noisy, pushy, and sometimes aggressive.

There is an element of truth in what you say but it is well known short/mini cruises are NOT the same as a longer trip, on any cruise line. You weren't aware beforehand of the short stretches you experienced, but they were advertised and sold as such from the cruise brochure.

Yes short cruises are different and yes, there will be large groups and yes, probably first time Cunard passengers.

Yes life is packed into a shorter time and yes, possibly passengers who will only cruise Cunard on the short hops.

This does not make the experience dreadful for the majority, just different for those who are regular Cunard passengers and still very enjoyable.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. I'm sorry your transfers were non existent and I hope you get satisfaction from the company and most of all, I'm really sorry this is colouring your view of Cunard at the moment.

I sincerely hope your next cruise, Cunard or another line, will exceed your expectations.

Thank you all. I've decided to take the plunge, nothing ventured, nothing gained! Just got to persuade my sister in law now!

If we go we will pack our formal wear & go with the flow & use elbows if we have to.

I'll let you all know what I decide.

Wineoclock........we did a lovely 14 day crossing on RCI. We decided to tack on the 4 day trip to France and Belgium rather than hang around SH, waiting for the QM2.

Difference of night and day. Lots of small groups there to simply have fun.....more late nights, partying, and simply way more lively. I met some really nice people and had a good time. On the QM2, if things are too lively for your taste, you will always be able to find quieter areas. Have a wonderful trip.

Victoria2.

It was not possible for me or anyone else looking at the 2014 Brochure (USA version any way) to know about the "mini" cruises. I have checked the brochure again today, not one word about the two 2 day mini trips

As far as I can ascertain these were not sold in the USA.

In the USA July 6-13 sold as 7 day Atlantic, NY/Soton, -then July 13-12 as 8 days Soton-back to Soton, then July21-28 Soton/NY, another 7 days Atlantic .

There was no way people here could expect any thing different to that advertised in the brochure I had.

It is done, Cunard will do the same thing again for next 18 months, I will take great care not to book any cruise that could be used for "cross channel", only B2B Transatlantics.

As for the failures of the meet by Rep and Transport, that too is done, but I do think Cunard need to take more care the promised service is indeed provided when they charge $590 .

In Sept any one wishing to use that service will have to pay $790, that is a great deal of money even if you receive the service.

Victoria2.

It was not possible for me or anyone else looking at the 2014 Brochure (USA version any way) to know about the "mini" cruises. I have checked the brochure again today, not one word about the two 2 day mini trips

As far as I can ascertain these were not sold in the USA.

In the USA July 6-13 sold as 7 day Atlantic, NY/Soton, -then July 13-12 as 8 days Soton-back to Soton, then July21-28 Soton/NY, another 7 days Atlantic .

There was no way people here could expect any thing different to that advertised in the brochure I had.

It is done, Cunard will do the same thing again for next 18 months, I will take great care not to book any cruise that could be used for "cross channel", only B2B Transatlantics.

As for the failures of the meet by Rep and Transport, that too is done, but I do think Cunard need to take more care the promised service is indeed provided when they charge $590 .

In Sept any one wishing to use that service will have to pay $790, that is a great deal of money even if you receive the service.

I was going off this by Blue Riband on your 'Ferry Boat Not Queen' thread

Cunard's US website describes a 2-day Southampton/Hamburg cruise as.. "A charming 2-night break from Southampton to the lovely German city of Hamburg. An excellent introduction to our flagship and Cunard, as well as an opportunity to relax, unwind and enjoy the impeccable service. You’ll sail on Queen Mary 2 to Hamburg before a flight home –." The reports from several posters here indicate that it's anything but that. Bait, then switch.

If it was on the US website, as reported by the other member, I just thought everyone would be party to the information.

Sorry.

Thank you all. I've decided to take the plunge, nothing ventured, nothing gained! Just got to persuade my sister in law now!

If we go we will pack our formal wear & go with the flow & use elbows if we have to.

I'll let you all know what I decide.

wineoclock, I'm glad you have decided to take the plunge. We went on a 3 night short break a couple of years ago, Southampton - Zeebrugge - Southampton and after reading some of the comments on CC I wasn't particularly looking forward to it, I almost didn't pack my evening gown and hubby's dinner suit, but in the end popped them in the case.

The trip was very different from the longer cruises we have taken with Cunard, but it was still a very positive and enjoyable experience. One of the things we noticed was that there was a much younger crowd on our sailing, lots of people new to Cunard who seemed interested and excited about their trip and the ship. It was interesting to see that the majority of passengers were dressed formally for dinner even though there wasn't a formal dress code.

I didn't see any bad behaviour at all, more fun and a bit more partying, but definitely nothing untoward.

I can't recall any big theatre productions or insights speakers, but I assume that the reason for that was there simply wasn't the time. One thing I did notice was the huge queue for afternoon tea in the Queens Room. I expect that this was due to the fact it was available on only two afternoons, and a lot of people wanted to experience it.

I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Denise