Calico Jacks/Public Beach

Paps9027

First time in Grand Cayman. We are just looking to spend couple hours at the beach for a group of 7, kids & adults. Figure on using public transportation at $2.50/person. Is that cash only?

Also, to rent chairs at PB, can use credit card? At Calico Jack's - credit card ok?

Looking for advise.

Is there a better place to consider for a little beach time? Is PB, Calico Jack, Seagrape all the same?

The public buses are cash only.

There are some vendors renting chairs near Calico Jacks. Cash only for those, as far as I know. Calico Jacks will accept credit cards for food and beverages.

Public Beach is immediately adjacent to Calico Jacks, so the beach is effectively the same. SeaGrape is a short distance away and Surfside is the bar/restaurant at that location.

We were at Calico Jacks in March and I don't remember what we paid for the renting the chairs, but it must not have been to bad because there was 6 of us and we are planning on going back in January! The beach was very nice, the service was great. There was a nice little restaurant there that had the BEST mahi mahi sandwich! I can't wait to go back and get another one :) The boys rented snorkeling gear and said snorkeling was ok, but nothing spectacular. Nice, clean beach with restrooms etc. Definetly going back.

• 1 year later...
We've always enjoyed going to Calico Jacks! Not great for snorkeling but is a beautiful beach. I'll second their fish sandwiches -- excellent! :)

LuLu

So when I get onto the public transportation where do I ask them to take me? Public beach or Calico Jacks? Are they the same place?

We were just there between right before New Years Day. I don't know if we were on the "public bus" or in what would be classified as a taxi. We walked out of the terminal to the street, turned left & went about 20 yards. There were a few vans there asking if we wanted a ride to the beach, we loaded up (four in my group, and there were two other couples looking to go, too).

Driver first stopped at Royal Palms, one couple got out there. The rest of us continued down to Calico Jacks (the driver had indicated that it was a little more laid back down further, which was what we wanted). We paid $4 pp for the trip there.

There was a good sized parking lot down near Calico Jacks, along with a little kid playground, a soccer field, and a few sheltered picnic tables that seemed to be first come first serve. Beside them was a guy with a big grill, cooking jerk chicken, jerk pork; the pork was outstanding.

We hung out by (and in) Calico Jacks; had a couple of beers there. Nice, comfortable, casual place.