How much Yen should we get?

travellovers2

All our shore excursions say that only the Yen is accepted in the places we will be visiting. How much Yen should we take with us from the US? We also read that most ATM's do not accept foreign cards. We are staying in Tokyo 3 days pre-cruise and in Kyoto 3 days post-cruise. We want to have enough cash with us. Thank you.

Yes, the ATM machines at 7-11 stores and the post offices will allow you to use foreign ATM cards. I cannot speak from personal experience, but I've read several posts on this board about people using their ATM cards at branches of Citibank in Japan, also.

Perhaps $1000 USD worth of Yen. Small shops take only Yen, so keep that in mind.

It really depends on what you do, where you'll eat, how much transportation you'll use (taxis, trains, subways), what kind of souvenirs you'll purchase.

In department stores you can use your credit card.

We found Japan to be very safe - so no problem carrying around cash.

Cheers.

Our biggest concern is going to be transportation. We have to take several trains and plan to take the subway to go around in Tokyo, plus taxis in other areas. It is easy to order them from our bank online so we went ahead and got $1200.

I wouldn't use my ATM at 7-eleven in the US, so I'm not sure I would do that anywhere else. LOL. :D Thank you for your replies.

A Japanese 7-11 is rather different to those in the US http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2071.html

You can calculate train fares (and routes) here: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

A Japan Rail Pass can save you money on a Tokyo-Kyoto round trip. You have to buy this (actually a voucher which you then exchange in Japan) outside Japan: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

Buying individual subway tickets is a hassle. It's usually best to get a Suica or similar card (like an Oyster in London, or Octopus in Hong Kong): http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

A Japanese 7-11 is rather different to those in the US http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2071.html

You can calculate train fares (and routes) here: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

A Japan Rail Pass can save you money on a Tokyo-Kyoto round trip. You have to buy this (actually a voucher which you then exchange in Japan) outside Japan: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

Buying individual subway tickets is a hassle. It's usually best to get a Suica or similar card (like an Oyster in London, or Octopus in Hong Kong): http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

Thank you for the links. I read the page for the pass, but it applies to days instead of usage. We will be on a 10 days cruise before we go from Yokohama to Kyoto then three days in Kyoto before we go to Narita airport. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy each trip individually?

You'd activate the pass the day you go to Kyoto, so you'd only get 4 or 5 days use out of it, but it could still be slightly cheaper than regular tickets (you'd need to price them out). OTOH you cannot use the Nozomi (fastest) trains with a pass and I agree that any saving in your case is likely to be small.

Hi there,

I have just got back from Japan in July (was on Diamond Princess).

If you are sticking to Tokyo for 3 days and first timer, its better to buy the day pass for 3 days. Because going in and out of the subway if you make a mistake will cost you dearly. Using day pass, you will be able to learn how to use the subway and train as it is more forgiving. You can miss a station and come back again using the return line.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

go look at the link above about Tokyo Subway Ticket. However you need to buy the ticket at the Airport first before proceeding to Tokyo. Also you will need to show your passport in order to purchase this ticket.

The ticket will start its countdown (by days) once you used it on the subway. So you can actually buy and keep for 2 weeks (ask them for the expiry date) before using when you return to Tokyo.

3 days pass cost is $1500 yen. Cost of Food depends on where you eat. most high end resturant accept Credit cards but the small shops doesn't. So if you want to spend less on food, you need to carry more cash. Budget meals cost about 1000 yen to 2000 yen per person. High end places can go up to 10000 yen if you are not careful (Kobe beef is expensive and Sushi sometimes). If you go to the outskirts of Tokyo, food is cheaper but require cash only.

Shopping in Department stores, you can use credit cards. However buying from smaller shops requires cash. Most of the tourist attraction entrance fee accept cash only.

http://tokyo.digi-joho.com/travel-living-tips/99-outlet-shopping-malls-tokyo.html

Here is a link for some Outlet Malls, if you are interested.

Have fun and bye.

Regards

Asing1cruise

ASing1Cruise.

Can you buy the 3 day pass online before you leave home or do you buy it once you arrive into Tokyo?

We will be on the Diamond Princess in October and have one full day in Tokyo before the cruise and 4 full days at the end of the cruise. Is the 3 day the best pass or is there a pass that will cover the 5 days though we will be missing for 9 days in the middle when we are on the ship.

Also, did you use the taxis on the pier to return you back to Tokyo or use the train? We are not prepared to use the train when disembarking so am trying to find out about taxis or private cars.

Jennie

Hi AussieGal,

Tokyo Metro Open Ticket (1-day: 600 or 710 yen; 2-day: 980 yen)

Unlimited use of the nine Tokyo Metro subway lines, but not the four Toei subway lines and JR trains. A regular one day pass costs 710 yen, while a tourist version is available for 600 yen (one day) and 980 yen (two consecutive days). The tourist version is only available to foreign tourists at Narita Airport and Haneda Airport, while the regular version is available at ticket machines at Tokyo Metro stations.

You will have to buy it at the airport as you have show your passport. Not sure if you can do it online. Check with them if you can buy multiple passes, 1 day pass, then 3 day pass so that you can use first day and the last 3 days. Not sure if they have a 4 days pass, you have to ask them at the information counter (airport). Make sure you do not get mix up with the 1 day and 3 days passes as it activate upon using at the station.

Also if you are getting to Tokyo airport late in the evening, you may not be able to get the ticket (tourist version) as the counter closes. Buying the regular version cost more via vending machine.

For going to the Yokohama pier, I did the Express train (seperate ticket that cost a bit more but reserved seats and have luggage space) from Tokyo to Yokohama station then take a taxi (its about 2200 yen to the pier).Take about 15 mins to 20 mins due to all the traffic lights. To get the reserve ticket check with the JR train information counter in Tokyo station (smaller station do not have English speaking staff). They sell those tickets there.

For returning from Yokohama pier to Tokyo, I am not sure because I caught the YCAT (bus) back to Haneda airport from the Yokohama train station/bus terminal. But my advise is to get a taxi to the main Yokohama station if you have a lot of luggage. The pier Bus (free of charge) to the sub-station (not main Yokohama station) is crowded and hard to get on if you have a lot of stuff. And you need to transfer to train at the main Yokohama station before you go to Tokyo.

I do know some people who went by private car to Tokyo but that would be expensive (high charges of taxi in Tokyo). You have to ask those who have done it.

Hope this helps.

ASing1Cruise

We plan to take a bus from Narita airport that will drop us off in front of our hotel.

Is it better to take the hop-on-hop-off bus in Tokyo instead of the subway? We have taken that in cities all over that world and it's usually the best way to see things and get around.

When we return from our cruise we need to take the train to Kyoto. Do you know if it's close to the Yokohama station?

How did you like your cruise on the Princess Diamond? Did you have good weather?

Thank you for all your help. :D

I wanted to do the Hop on Hop Off bus but it was closed during the day I was there. You need to check with the bus tour.

Weather wasn't great. Had to miss Kobe and Inland Sea because of a Hurricane that was going through there.

Ship went north and then through the Sea of Japan. then continue the rest of our intinery.

I wanted to do the Hop on Hop Off bus but it was closed during the day I was there. You need to check with the bus tour.

Weather wasn't great. Had to miss Kobe and Inland Sea because of a Hurricane that was going through there.

Ship went north and then through the Sea of Japan. then continue the rest of our intinery.

Sorry to hear that. We are hoping for good weather. We chose October thinking it would be a better month, but nowadays nature is all over the place. :rolleyes:

Hi Aussie Gal,

My wife and I were also on the same cruise that missed Kobe. We spent 2 full days in Tokyo pre-cruise and bought the 1 day Combination Ticket from the Vending machine at the Metro Station. It costs 1000 yen per person and is valid for all 13 metro lines. The vending machines are very easy to use and we criss crossed the city using a variety of lines visiting the major sites. Although it's a very comprehensive metro system, we found it very easy to navigate.

Thank you for all the good information. We are on the Diamond Princess in September. and then travel to Kyoto after the cruise. At the pier in Yokohama, did you see a luggage forwarding service? We hope to send our larger suitcase to Kyoto so we can take the Shinkansen without struggling with our big bag.

Do you know approximately what the taxi cost is from the Osanbashi pier to Yokohama station? Other than the weather, how did you enjoy the cruise?

Knippsel:

I'm not sure about the luggage service in Yokohama; although I have heard about it in Tokyo.

We did not take a taxi to Yokohama station - it seemed a very long line to wait for one at the Osanbashi pier and quite slow. Only one taxi car pulled up at a time and had to be loaded, and left, before another came.

We did use the free bus that took us to a station (sorry forgot the name of it; it was not Nihon-Odori, that i know), with 5 suitcases!!! - bought a lot, we don't travel light. From that station, it was I think, one stop to Yokohama Station. Easy enough.

Thank you for all the good information. We are on the Diamond Princess in September. and then travel to Kyoto after the cruise. At the pier in Yokohama, did you see a luggage forwarding service? We hope to send our larger suitcase to Kyoto so we can take the Shinkansen without struggling with our big bag.

Do you know approximately what the taxi cost is from the Osanbashi pier to Yokohama station? Other than the weather, how did you enjoy the cruise?

I didn't use the cab from pier to Yokohama Station, but I did take a cab from Yokohama Station to the Pier. It cost 2200 yen, traffic lights kept turning red. So depending on traffic condition, it is about 1500 to 2200 yen.

I would think its cost the same the other way around.

Knippsel:

I'm not sure about the luggage service in Yokohama; although I have heard about it in Tokyo.

We did not take a taxi to Yokohama station - it seemed a very long line to wait for one at the Osanbashi pier and quite slow. Only one taxi car pulled up at a time and had to be loaded, and left, before another came.

We did use the free bus that took us to a station (sorry forgot the name of it; it was not Nihon-Odori, that i know), with 5 suitcases!!! - bought a lot, we don't travel light. From that station, it was I think, one stop to Yokohama Station. Easy enough.

That's encouraging! Any problems navigating the trains with your luggage?