Wireless internet access?

Hikini

I know this has been talked about before, but I couldn't find the old thread(s). And since technology marches on, maybe things have changed since I last read about it.

We are sailing on the Spirit in September. Does the ship have wireless internet access, and if so, do you know what the charge is? Do you have to access only from certain areas?

Any information you can give is helpful. Also, if you know, what places in the different ports have wifi?

Thanks!

Hikini:D

I know this has been talked about before, but I couldn't find the old thread(s). And since technology marches on, maybe things have changed since I last read about it.

We are sailing on the Spirit in September. Does the ship have wireless internet access, and if so, do you know what the charge is? Do you have to access only from certain areas?

Any information you can give is helpful. Also, if you know, what places in the different ports have wifi?

Thanks!

Yes there is wireless access in the internet cafe and the main lobby.

You do pay less for wireless I think it was 5 cent a minute less .

3dblouder :)

Here is wireless infor for the Spirit:

WIRELESS PRICING:

250 minutes for $100.00 (only $0.40 per minute!)

100 minutes for $55.00 (only $0.55 per minute)

33 minutes for $25.00 ($0.75 per minute)

Laptop Rental $20 per day. Wireless Radio Card Rental $10 per day (rental insurance optional)

Locations:

Internet Café, Library, Galaxy of Stars Lounge, Deck 12 pool area, Decks 7 & 8 Atrium Area, Conference Rooms, Karaoke Rooms, Ruffles Restaurant

Locations:

Internet Café, Library, Galaxy of Stars Lounge, Deck 12 pool area, Decks 7 & 8 Atrium Area, Conference Rooms, Karaoke Rooms, Ruffles Restaurant

Does this mean no wireless access from our cabin? Is there hard-wired access in the cabins?

Does this mean no wireless access from our cabin? Is there hard-wired access in the cabins?

Most cabins (ie normal cabins, not penthouses and upper level suites) have no wireless or wired internet access. Only public areas are wi-fi hot spots.

Thanks for the information. I see it's no savings at all to use your laptop, vs. using their PC's. I'm taking the laptop but will wait until I get to port to find wifi.

I can have my pictures edited and ready to go.....

Thanks again for replying.

Would that mean the new ships like the Jewel should also have WiFi? We'll be on here at Christmas. We enjoyed having wi-fi on the Golden last month.

As they now have wi-fi on mostly all of the NCL ships, I think you can assume it will be on the Jewel. :)

Yeah.......another non geek here. My dh wants to know if the Jewel has wireless internet access in the rooms, how will they know we're online? I have a router in my house and I have no idea when my dh's laptop or my bil is online.

I haven't been on my cruise yet, but I would think that the wireless network is password protected. You probably sign the agreement to buy "x" of Internet minutes and then they will give you a userid and password to log on the network.

JR

Yeah.......another non geek here. My dh wants to know if the Jewel has wireless internet access in the rooms, how will they know we're online? I have a router in my house and I have no idea when my dh's laptop or my bil is online.

You will need to logon every time you connect before you can access the internet.

I have an Ipaq PDA with wireless internet and bluetooth technology -- would this work on the Dawn's wi-fi network? Would I need to "add" anything to make it work?

Assuming the ipaq has a fully compliant web browser and the pda also supports 802.11 internet standards and not just blue tooth, you should be able to connect..

Does the ipaq use internet explorer or another variant?

On another note.. One advantage of using your own laptop, is that you can do many things offline and jump online to send them. So instead of being billed for the time it took to compose an e-mail or a daily update on cruise critic you can write them in a word processor, then jump online and send them quickly.

Chris:

My Ipaq uses internet explorer and 802.11 wireless. So then all I'd have to pay is the per minute rate? Sure would beat going to the internet cafe, plus I could compose e-mails prior to logging on -- and send pictures if I wanted by putting my memory card from my digital camera into the PDA.

Archived