Viking Rhine Getaway - Our photo intensive review on the Viking Ingvi, Summer 2014

cruisinskier

Hi Kath. It does look like the 2016 river cruises have not yet been released but they should be out shortly. We already have a 2016 Greek Islands cruise booked on Azamara so some cruises have been released.

We booked the river cruise through a TA and got some nice OBC. For flights, given we were doing extended pre and post cruise adventures, I wanted control of my dates / times so I booked myself (the control freak in me always wants to maintain that control). Most search engines will let you pick multiple destinations for your flights. Also, sometimes two one-way flights actually provide different fare options so try that as well.

Good luck with your planning!

Jerry

As soon as I see those 2016 dates, we will be picking one! I'm somewhat of a control freak myself, so I do like the control. I haven't decided whether to just book the whole trip through Viking (my husband's preference) or to find a good River Cruise TA. I still have some time to check out options.

I will be making good use of your research links - thanks for including them.

A Luxury Travel Agency (Google it that way) specializing in Lux cruises will give you valuable $$$ off the bottom line of your trip.... They also help with "unfortunate" situations.

Bottom line, DO NOT book directly thru the Cruiseline, not Viking, not AMA, not Uniworld.... You get the idea! You need an advocate for when things don't go according to plan...

JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A Luxury Travel Agency (Google it that way) specializing in Lux cruises will give you valuable $$$ off the bottom line of your trip.... They also help with "unfortunate" situations.

Bottom line, DO NOT book directly thru the Cruiseline, not Viking, not AMA, not Uniworld.... You get the idea! You need an advocate for when things don't go according to plan...

JMHO

Thanks! That's what I was thinking.

We booked the river cruise through a TA and got some nice OBC.

I know you're not allowed to recommend TA's in this forum, but can you tell me if you used a local brick and mortar TA or an internet based one. If I'm going with a TA - I need to find one :)

I know you're not allowed to recommend TA's in this forum, but can you tell me if you used a local brick and mortar TA or an internet based one. If I'm going with a TA - I need to find one :)

Hi Kath, we did use a local brick & mortar TA who we have used for years. I know lots of people of here have suggestions for online agencies if you choose to go with that option.

Jerry

Hi Kath, we did use a local brick & mortar TA who we have used for years. I know lots of people of here have suggestions for online agencies if you choose to go with that option.

Jerry

Thanks! I haven't decided. I might ask around locally and see if anyone has a TA they've done business with. I know a cruise page where a lot of TAs hang out. I thought of asking there - but they are all looking for business, so it's not easy to pick a good one :) I figure I'll start getting my ducks in a row while I wait for Viking to release the 2016 dates.

My local TA gave me a $50 OBC once and acted like it was a gift from heaven. That was after 20 yrs of very expensive cruises and 5 star resorts.

My new TA gave us $1200 per person off the price of my last booked trip. Plus some other goodies. She is responsive, if she is not available there is always a back up....

I do all the planning and usually just transfer the booking... I don't know but I feel like an idiot that I did not figure it out sooner ;)

My new TA is NOT a brick and mortar outfit.....

Edited by nana541

We were on this trip August 22 to 29. We did the 3 day prestay in A, sterdam and we stayed at the Moevenpick Hotel. Easy walk to town center and Central Station from there. Beautiful hotel with great service and free breakfast. Viking had a desk manned for help and information. They had a walking tour on our 2nd day and we opted not to do it and were glad we didn't. It lasted 7 hours. Amsterdam is a fantastically easy town to get around on your own and we saw way more than I had even hoped to see.

The statue of the 8 Kings in the Park on the way to Speyer has another small statue to it of a Ferryman. The story is the Ferryman heard the horsemen coming...they paid him in bright shinny gold to take thwm to the far side of the river...he did. Then heheard them on retuen and they paid him again to take them back to Speyer. He thought he would follow them to see where they went. They went ro monestary and disappeared. He went inside and found out fro the monks that they were the spirits of 8 dead kings from Speyer that wander the area.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Elsie Eisle

We were on this trip August 22 to 29. We did the 3 day prestay in A, sterdam and we stayed at the Moevenpick Hotel. Easy walk to town center and Central Station from there. Beautiful hotel with great service and free breakfast. Viking had a desk manned for help and information. They had a walking tour on our 2nd day and we opted not to do it and were glad we didn't. It lasted 7 hours.

Re: the "seven hour tour..." No way! As I wrote in an earlier post, we too opted for the Viking stay in Amsterdam at the Moevenpick. I agree with Elsie's post about the nice hotel, etc, but I absolutely can't imagine the walking tour of seven hours! We did do the Viking walking tour and it lasted about two hours and we learned so much--not only history but also some tips that we used during our stay. I beg to differ, but as someone who actually took the tour, I think it was well worth it and it sure didn't last seven hours!

First I want to say you did a magnificent job posting this, your puctures were wonderful, your description s were spot on, and your quips and quotes were great. We did the optional Cologne Beer Culture . We left at about 8:00 pm and went to four local beer gardens. We were served that particular Kolsch and it was very good and very cold. A ot of fun as well.

We did do the free optional walking tour of Speyer and Barbara ( our concierge) led that tour. She is studying to get her PhD in History and very knowlegable.

We did the black forest tour that began with a drive through the Rhine Valley. It was much larger and flatter than I thought it would be. Our first stop was in a small town that housed a monestary, St Peter of the Black Forest. It was without a doubt the most gorgeous and ornate church on our entire trip. I highly recommend going.

We also did that afternoon optional tour to Colmar and it was fabulous as well. Our friends went on the optioal tour to the World War II Colmar Pocket Museum and WWII sites. They said it was very emotional to see where Audy Murphy saved his platoon.

This being my first trip to Europe, I was amazed at how many Europeans spoke nearly perfect Engish. Any time we asked for directions or foe an explanation of something, there was no problem. The guides we had notonly spoke clear flawless English, but were also extremely knowlegable of the area and content of the subjects and areas we were visiting. They were all friendly, cheerful, and helpful.

Overall we had a delightful trip, saw way more than I had even hoped to see, and met very interesting, kind, and helpful people everywhere. We always felt safe, the areas were clean, and there was an abundance of wonderful flowers everywhere. The river banks were almost entirely well manicured and totally litter free.

Thank you again for a great review of your trip.

I do all the planning and usually just transfer the booking... I don't know but I feel like an idiot that I did not figure it out sooner ;)

My new TA is NOT a brick and mortar outfit.....

I've never done anything like transferring a booking. Would you mind sharing your secret? ;) My email is cyberkath at the google mail dot com place!

Oh my, our excitement only grows. What a review and your photos - priceless! Thank you so much. Usually the reviews are in the Basel-Amsterdam direction and we are going your direction with Viking next month. The daily time schedules are really helpful for planning.

Can you tell us a little more about the Marksburg castle. We've passed on that twice now (on other tours with Viking) because they tell us about lots of stairs without rails, etc. How did you find it?

Now I'll spend the next month going back and taking little glimpses and read a little more so we don't miss something important. Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Oh my, our excitement only grows. What a review and your photos - priceless! Thank you so much. Usually the reviews are in the Basel-Amsterdam direction and we are going your direction with Viking next month. The daily time schedules are really helpful for planning.

Can you tell us a little more about the Marksburg castle. We've passed on that twice now (on other tours with Viking) because they tell us about lots of stairs without rails, etc. How did you find it?

Now I'll spend the next month going back and taking little glimpses and read a little more so we don't miss something important. Thanks for sharing!!! :)

I know you did not ask me but my 2 cents worth is GO. Yes the stairs are narrow and no railings on a few but they are walled in, not open. I loved it. They have the kitchen set up with actual items of the time and ready to cook. They suits of armor from all the time periods of the castle, built in 1285. Wonderful views from way up high and we even watched as the Ingvi moved down river to meet us. This castle was never attacked because it was virtually impenetrable. It does have one area in the beginning (picture was on here) where the rocky ground is uneven. If you use a scooter/wheel chair it is not accessable...if you use a walker for stability, you can do it but might be a challenge. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

First I want to say you did a magnificent job posting this, your puctures were wonderful, your description s were spot on, and your quips and quotes were great. We did the optional Cologne Beer Culture . We left at about 8:00 pm and went to four local beer gardens. We were served that particular Kolsch and it was very good and very cold. A ot of fun as well.

We did do the free optional walking tour of Speyer and Barbara ( our concierge) led that tour. She is studying to get her PhD in History and very knowlegable.

We did the black forest tour that began with a drive through the Rhine Valley. It was much larger and flatter than I thought it would be. Our first stop was in a small town that housed a monestary, St Peter of the Black Forest. It was without a doubt the most gorgeous and ornate church on our entire trip. I highly recommend going.

We also did that afternoon optional tour to Colmar and it was fabulous as well. Our friends went on the optioal tour to the World War II Colmar Pocket Museum and WWII sites. They said it was very emotional to see where Audy Murphy saved his platoon.

This being my first trip to Europe, I was amazed at how many Europeans spoke nearly perfect Engish. Any time we asked for directions or foe an explanation of something, there was no problem. The guides we had notonly spoke clear flawless English, but were also extremely knowlegable of the area and content of the subjects and areas we were visiting. They were all friendly, cheerful, and helpful.

Overall we had a delightful trip, saw way more than I had even hoped to see, and met very interesting, kind, and helpful people everywhere. We always felt safe, the areas were clean, and there was an abundance of wonderful flowers everywhere. The river banks were almost entirely well manicured and totally litter free.

Thank you again for a great review of your trip.

Hi Linda & Jim, thanks for your comments and glad you had a great trip on the Ingvi!! Sounds like you did lots of the optional tours....of the ones we did I agree Colmar was the "don't miss" of the bunch.

With regards to English, we have done 3 different Europe trips and have never had an issue communicating whether it is in Germany, Italy or France.

Glad you had a great trip and happy travels!

Jerry

Hi Riversanddale, glad to hear you found me review useful and that it helped with your planning...that truly was the intent to do this.

With regards to Marksburg, it truly does come down to mobility. While the bus goes part way up the hill, there are numerous switchbacks you must climb to get to the castle. These aren't overly steep but are uphill for maybe 10 minutes (post 179 shows the switchbacks you climb). Then you arrive at the castle and it is built on the rock. The outside areas are uneven (see photos in post 180) so make sure you have good shoes on for this trip. Personally I didn't notice stairs without railings. Once inside the castle it is fairly level except when you are climbing stairs between floors. We did not move overly fast within the castle so if you are good with the climb up the switchbacks, go for it and enjoy!

Have a great trip and I look forward toy your review! Happy planning and safe travels!

Jerry

Hi Linda & Jim, thanks for your comments and glad you had a great trip on the Ingvi!! Sounds like you did lots of the optional tours....of the ones we did I agree Colmar was the "don't miss" of the bunch.

With regards to English, we have done 3 different Europe trips and have never had an issue communicating whether it is in Germany, Italy or France.

Glad you had a great trip and happy travels!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry...same to you.

Edited by Elsie Eisle

Jerry,

Thank you so much for the awesome information in your review! I have enjoyed your pictures and can't wait for our Rhine trip July 2015 the same week that you spent there in 2014. I was a bit concerned about those weather forecast pics you posted, so it will be interesting to see how we fare. I may bring the rain suit!

We are pretty independent travelers and have already booked our own air arrangements and will be staying in Amsterdam pre-cruise and seeing the city on our own.

I wanted to get your opinion on the excursions.

We would like to rent bikes, just not sure that is an Amsterdam activity :eek: so I wondered if Kinderdijk would be the best place to ride bikes if we skipped the group tour? :confused:

Your pics of Colmar were lovely, and I must say that trip is definitely now on my To-Do list. Is that trip just an extension of the Black Forest bus trip? We are not huge fans of the bus trips.

Do you think Rudesheim is a must do with the Viking excursion or is this an easy night to enjoy on our own?

And, truly, your gorgeous picture of the Eiffel tower in Paris at night was absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing your photography with us all. :)

Jerry,

Thank you so much for the awesome information in your review! I have enjoyed your pictures and can't wait for our Rhine trip July 2015 the same week that you spent there in 2014. I was a bit concerned about those weather forecast pics you posted, so it will be interesting to see how we fare. I may bring the rain suit!

We are pretty independent travelers and have already booked our own air arrangements and will be staying in Amsterdam pre-cruise and seeing the city on our own.

We would like to rent bikes, just not sure that is an Amsterdam activity :eek: so I wondered if Kinderdijk would be the best place to ride bikes if we skipped the group tour? :confused:

Your pics of Colmar were lovely, and I must say that trip is definitely now on my To-Do list. Is that trip just an extension of the Black Forest bus trip? We are not huge fans of the bus trips.

Do you think Rudesheim is a must do with the Viking excursion or is this an easy night to enjoy on our own?

And, truly, your gorgeous picture of the Eiffel tower in Paris at night was absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing your photography with us all. :)

I am not Jerry but I personally think there is not enough time in Kinderijk for bikes and don't know where you would rent one. It is not a city just a small village. There are loads of places in Amsterdam...I would take a lock. Colmar is an extra tour after you return from the Black Forest. These are just my humble opinions. We LOVED this trip when we did it in August.

Linda

Jerry,

Hi Crewsgirl, thanks for your comments about the review. I do remember reading on these boards of someone who disembarked the boat early in Kinderdijk and biked around the area, saying it was the highlight of their trip. I believe the concierge can assist in guiding you to the local bike rental shop. You may miss going into the windmills but you will definitely see them in the distance as you bike around the area (my Niece actually biked from Leiden to Kinderdijk and back this past summer).

Yes I think think Colmar is a "must-do". It is not a continuation of the Black Forest and is actually in the opposite direction, maybe a 25 minute bus ride each way. Like you, we were not looking forward to a long bus ride so we skipped the Black Forest trip, enjoyed having the boat to ourselves and wandered around Breisach.

With regards to Rudesheim, it is easy to do on your own with a bit of research. We enjoyed the cable cars and had a great dinner in town, right across from where the Viking tour went for a much higher price. But having not done the Viking dinner in Rudesheim, not sure if we missed anything but we were quite happy with our decision.

Enjoy your trip and happy planning!

Jerry

Great thread - we are headed on first trip from US across the great pond in 6/15. Thanks for wonderful information and lots of help on "What to expect".

What about the upgrade wine/beer programs? Did you? Was the "included" wine satisfactory?

Great thread - we are headed on first trip from US across the great pond in 6/15. Thanks for wonderful information and lots of help on "What to expect".

What about the upgrade wine/beer programs? Did you? Was the "included" wine satisfactory?

Hey Glenn, glad you enjoyed the review. We stayed with the regular wine & beer package and found it was fine for our needs...wine was ok, the Reisling on the German night was great, and there were a couple of options with beer. We did bring wine on-board in a few ports and did enjoy a bottle or two with meals or around the ship. There was no issues, no corkage fees and they gladly provided glasses when we asked. Have a great trip and safe travels!

Jerry

Hi all. When I put this photo review together, I figured I could provide some info to help a few folks plan their river cruise, especially for first timers like myself. Never did I expect to get over 50,000 views!

Obviously there are lots of folks planning future river cruises and I am glad to do my little bit to assist with questions. Safe travels all and happy planning!

Jerry