Coral Princess vs Zuiderdam

Koshlong

I'd like to do a partial Panama Canal transit next year and have narrowed the choice to Coral Princess or Zuiderdam. I've been on the Z in Alaska.

Can anyone give me some comparisons between these two ships? They seem to be about the same size and only a few years different in age.

Thanks. I hope!

I've been on both on a Panama Canal cruise and there are similarities. I had an aft superior verandah on the Zuiderdam and spent all of my time on my balcony while going through the Canal. If I'd had any other cabin, I wouldn't have.

I've been on both the Coral and Island through the Canal. Both have open public decks both forward and aft for great Canal viewing.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with either ship. My personal choice would be the Coral but that's because I like the ship better than the Zuiderdam. She has more amenities.

For sailing through the Canal, I'd go with the Coral Princess. I have sailed on both ships and while I liked the Zuiderdam very much, the Coral is great for the Canal (which is what I sailed the Canal on in 2009) and it just fits.

The things I'll mention are probably subjective, someone else might think its opposite.

You know what the food is like on the Zuiderdam. Its not as good on the Coral.

The entertainment sucks on the Zuiderdam. Its way better on the Coral.

Everything else is very similar when it comes to service from the room attendants, dining room staff, etc. The Coral has a few extra features that the Zuiderdam doesn't have, like the sanctuary and movies under the stars, which may or may not be dealbreakers depends if you plan to use them.

For me it would probably come down to the price and maybe the ports of call which are similar anyway. I'd go with the better deal.

If everything was equal I'd probably go with the Coral. And that's partly because the Zuiderdam keeps getting dogged with air conditioning and plumbing issues on this itinerary. I've only been on the Zuiderdam twice and I didn't have any problems. You might not have either, but usually people cruising to Alaska aren't complaining about the air conditioning unless its working a little too well!

Either way you're going to the Panama Canal. How could it not be a great cruise!

Actually the Sanctuary and MUTS don't particularly interest me........ I'd like to hear more about the dining options and the entertainment. I agree that the entertainment on the Z is pretty weak, although I have to admit a sneaking fondness the the crew talent shows.

Thanks for all the input!

Edited by Koshlong

The Coral has two dining rooms, one for fixed/Traditional dining, one for Anytime. IMHO, I think HAL does a better job of managing Open/Anytime dining.

The Coral has two specialty restaurants, the Bayou and Sabatini's. The Bayou is a New Orleans style restaurant, Sabatini's is a fine dining Italian restaurant. She also has a small International Cafe with salads, pastries, and other goodies. I prefer the buffet on Princess over HAL in that it's open continuously from 6am-11pm so you can get a full breakfast at 10:30am or a full lunch after 2pm. Or, a late dinner or snack.

Food is subjective but in my experience (I'm a 3-star Mariner on HAL), Princess food and service is better than on HAL. Princess is very flexible if you want to modify an entree, order something off-menu or whatever. Princess pizza is the best at sea as is it's Italian dishes.

Entertainment in the evening is varied with a number of options every hour, from an act such as a magician or comedian to a production show to a game show.

Princess does not offer full menu room service the way HAL does. Just a different way of doing things since the buffet is open all day and evening. The IC is open 24/7.

I'd like to do a partial Panama Canal transit next year and have narrowed the choice to Coral Princess or Zuiderdam. I've been on the Z in Alaska.

Can anyone give me some comparisons between these two ships? They seem to be about the same size and only a few years different in age.

Thanks. I hope!

I am in the same situation. What appeals to me most between the two ships is that the HAL itinerary is more interesting, but we would get more OBC as repeat cruisers on Princess.

That's it exactly, Seafoam. I'm used to HAL and I'm surprised at how hard it is to step out of the "envelope".

Pam, thanks for the info. That's just the sort of information I'm looking for.

I wish the Coral Princess itinerary included Princess Cays. I'm really a sucker for private islands.

I can't comment on HAL as I haven't sailed them. But my husband and I sailed on Coral last year for the full Panama Canal transit and loved her! We especially enjoyed the onboard lecturers and attended almost everyone of the lectures on sea days. One lecturer spoke extensively on the history of the Panama Canal and history about some of our ports of call and the other lecturer was an astronomer spoke about stars, planets, comets etc.