Spirit in Dec cruising the Med...

h22lude

For those that have done it, how is the motion? My fiancee just took a short ferry ride and got sea sick. She has been in a Disney cruise and was fine. She has been on some ferries and was OK but others she got sick. We are going to look into meds to bring for her just in case.

Obviously it is tough to say with the way weather and storms are but generally, how is it?

I can't speak as to December in particular, but the Med in general seems to be an order of magnitude calmer than the Caribbean. We did this cruise in June, and didn't even notice the "motion of the ocean" until the reach between Italy and Mykonos, and then only barely. Most of the time the seas were glass-flat.

Penzey's Spices has a little jar of candied ginger - works great but we didn't need it at all (used it to flavor my tea instead).

For those that have done it, how is the motion? My fiancee just took a short ferry ride and got sea sick. She has been in a Disney cruise and was fine. She has been on some ferries and was OK but others she got sick. We are going to look into meds to bring for her just in case.

Obviously it is tough to say with the way weather and storms are but generally, how is it?

I think that in December the Spirit has switched to it's winter itinerary which is more North Atlantic than Med. She sails to Morocco (Africa) and Canary Isles plus Madeira which are both in the Atlantic Ocean and nowhere near the Mediteranean Sea.

The first day at sea is in the med as is the last as the ship sails South down the coast of Spain from Barcelona to the Straits of Gibralter. This is usually quite calm. Once the ship makes that turn into the Straits things can change. A lot. From there on the ship is out of the Med and in the Atlantic.

I have done this particular itinerary 3 times, in Jan, Feb and April. We had calm seas in January and April but our February cruise we had some rough days. Madeira is quite a way out there on it's own in the ocean.

The Spirit handles whatever the weather gods throw her way very well, but having said that, I always bring along my seasickness pills just in case and needed them only once but was glad I brought them along. The weather can be very good and pleasantly warm (not Caribbean warm more 60F+ warm) it can also be chilly, 50F chilly, with winds. Bring clothes for all types of weather as you may well need them.

It is a great cruise on a lovely ship with an amazing crew. Enjoy.

When we sailed into Casablanca last January it felt like the ship was going to capsize. Stuff was flying everywhere in our cabin. In April the Captain had us in very early, like 2 or 3 hours before we were due, and the ship never moved even one inch. Unpredictable.

We were on the Spirit in March and it was a rock and roll ride most of the time. My husband was ill the first morning but he started taking Bonine and did ok after that. We were in a suite at the very front of the ship and had a sliding door that separated the bedroom from the living area as well as a regular door that separated the front hallway from the bedroom. We woke up one night to the slider sliding back and forth in its track. We got up and locked it shut, got back in bed and then the regular door starting swinging back and forth. Had to get up and adjust that too. We had gotten a letter the day before Casablanca warning of rough seas going into port, so we just stayed in bed until that time frame had passed! This was the first cruise where I actually saw some of the staff looking a little green. Pack medication just in case!