Sewer Smell on Monarch?

Guest OBAYbee

I posted this last week.... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=217079

Smell raw sewage? Holland Cruise Line steps up to the plate.

There is a very interesting article in USA Today. It concerns Holland cruise lines and it addresses the complaints of 4 separate cabins and the passengers in them that endured the smell of raw sewage during their cruise. They have offered these 4 $1,000 compensation. They have been unable to locate the 4th cabin passengers and there is an address there you can use if it is you to contact them........

Read the rest here: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/columnist/burbank/2005-08-09-column_x.htm

I was in a JS deck 9 last Feb, and again 2 weeks ago in OV deck 4.

In February there was no bad odor at all.

However...two weeks ago, we did not have any sewage smell...until....we docked in Ensenada. At first I thought it was just in our cabin, but then realized that the whole ship had this terrible odor (although it was worse in our cabins). It was like that all day while docked in Ensenada. (I was only ashore for about 2 hours.)

As soon as we set sail from Ensenada the smell was gone and all was well again.:)

we were on the Monarch in May on deck 8. one morning we woke up with a yellowish fluid on the floor by the drain/shower. one would have guess DH missed in the middle of the night had it been by the toilet instead of where is was. I don't remember how far into our cruise this occured. cleaned up by room steward when our room was cleaned that morning. only timed it happened. we were more concerned over the booming bass, music, etc every night than the sewer stuff. no early nights turning in for us. had to wait till Boleros was finished with their live performers :( oh well, we're easy going and ya know, we were on vacation on a cruise :) why sweat the small stuff!!

I was in a JS deck 9 last Feb, and again 2 weeks ago in OV deck 4.

In February there was no bad odor at all.

However...two weeks ago, we did not have any sewage smell...until....we docked in Ensenada. At first I thought it was just in our cabin, but then realized that the whole ship had this terrible odor (although it was worse in our cabins). It was like that all day while docked in Ensenada. (I was only ashore for about 2 hours.)

As soon as we set sail from Ensenada the smell was gone and all was well again.:)

Oh...and by the way....we are booked on the Monarch again in October. In other words, I'm not going to let a few hours of odor make me cancel that cruise.

The reason for the smells, fellow cruisers try to flush everything they can and then some. The cabins are modular construction or in groups and when your neighbor tries to flush the wrong things it affects a group of cabins.

The reason for the smells, fellow cruisers try to flush everything they can and then some. The cabins are modular construction or in groups and when your neighbor tries to flush the wrong things it affects a group of cabins.

In our case then, a heck of a lot of people were flushing the wrong things because the odor was ship wide.

MszKitty, you made me laugh! Tell me, is that boat still half-sunk in the harbor next to the cruise ship? The last time we were there, quite a few sea mammals were hanging out on it.

We were in San Diego for the week last week and got very close to the border. It's amazing how a certain smell permeates the whole area, I don't know if it is cooking odors, industrial odors, a mixture, or what, but it's nasty. We turned around and headed north, within a mile the smell was gone. We smell the same odor in Ensenada.

MszKitty, you made me laugh! Tell me, is that boat still half-sunk in the harbor next to the cruise ship? The last time we were there, quite a few sea mammals were hanging out on it.

Yes its still there....still sea lions and others hanging out there.

We were in San Diego for the week last week and got very close to the border. It's amazing how a certain smell permeates the whole area, I don't know if it is cooking odors, industrial odors, a mixture, or what, but it's nasty. We turned around and headed north, within a mile the smell was gone. We smell the same odor in Ensenada.

Our first cruise to Ensenada was in the early '80's and we took an organized city tour. One of the things the guide joked about was "Ensenada means "port of many smells"....LOL Now of course, that isn't the real translation of the word Ensenada, but to this day, every time we pull into Ensenada (and we've done it about 8 times), my husband always says..."Welcome to Ensenada, port of many smells". Its almost become a tradition for him.

However....I don't think it smells as much as it did in the 1980's. This last smell was on the ship...not in Ensenada.

Kitty, you are right, and sometimes the problems are there from the cruise before ( the crew has not pinpointed the stoppages) and then a new group comes on and then they start flushing the wrong things. I have even seen the crew put bypass pipe in the hall (temp fix) and put fans in the hall to move the smell. With a constant flow of pax every week sometimes it is hard to get these things solved and be descrect (you know,when the crew has to work in the halls some pax always wants a refund because of construction) but almost ALL of these sewer/smell problems are the direct result of improper flushing-LOL.

Archived