QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

My first posting on this forum!

I have now done four crossings on Queen Elizabeth 2. My first was in September 2003, when I fell in love with the ship. I took my then fiancee (and now wife) on the westbound April 2004 crossing (the one with the storm!) and the return tandem crossing immediately afterwards. We then did another crossing at the end of the Canadian Crossing trip in August/September.

There has never been a casual night on any of the four crossings.

The storm in April 2004 was quite something. Bathroom cabinets taped up, vases containing flowers in the waste bins and so on. Those on board will recall the bridge camera being regularly engulfed! Indeed there was at least on wave that broke completely over the bridge!

The North Atlantic is definitely where this magnificent ship belongs. There is of course a transatlantic at the beginning of the equivalent cruise to the "Canadian Crossing".

Someone mentioned Captain Christopher Rynd. I found him a singularly unhumerous man, who was obsessed with bells instead of the noon whistle. I gather he comes from P & O and I was always just a little worried that we might mysteriously land up at Calais instead of Canada. When Nick Bates took over in New York I was very pleased.

This is becoming a neat gathering!

I should get off my duff and book this crossing soon.

(Wonder if I'll make it by waiting some more --- end of November)

Only time will tell ..

:rolleyes:

And if I DO make it , a round on me in the Chart Room!

:D

but you'll have to refresh my memory re. "the secret of the staircase." I'm intrigued. I do vividly recall that I had the upper bunk in a 2nd-class stateroom on C-deck, in the stern of the ship (port side).

Amazing that you remember the location of your cabin in such detail!

While crossing the Atlantic with my family on the Rotterdam in the mid-1960's , one day I was on my way to one of the activities scheduled for children when I noticed a steward entering the landing of the stairwell from something which did not have the appearance of a door. (It was more like a panel on hinges and lacked a door knob). When no one was looking I tried it myself. On the other side, it looked different and unfamiliar. I explored just a bit and soon found myself out on a deck, sunning with the First Class passengers. My mother recalls looking up from her book to see me waving to her from the deck above. I then enjoyed several forays into First Class during that voyage.

It was only recently that I read about the intriguing design of the staircase which was patterned after a chateau in France. In the chateau people ascending were unable to see or hear people descending. The Rotterdam's grand staircase has two sets of stairs, one designated for First and the other for Cabin class. Someone using the First Class stairs is unaware that the Cabin class passengers are using an identical grand staircase a few feet away.

A better description of the "Secret Staircase" can be seen at this website.

http://unofficial.net/hal/rotter.html

Although some people cite the "class system" of the Cunard fleet as a reason to not sail on them, it is almost non-existant as compared with that found on previous ships.

I'm wondering: do these slashed prices include airfare? If not, what's the add on? Chris

Chris, no but you can (generally) get one-way air for around $225 (not from Cunard) - though getting it on Jan 2nd might be more of a challenge - tho if you wanted to spend a few days in London pre-crossing there's still availability.

Peter

My DH looks absolutely fabulous in his white dinner jacket. However, with this being a winter crossing, would the dinner jacket be OK? He also has the tux. I am not going to drag both along if there is no need. Thanks

Gina

My DH looks absolutely fabulous in his white dinner jacket. However, with this being a winter crossing, would the dinner jacket be OK? He also has the tux. I am not going to drag both along if there is no need. Thanks

Gina

Generally a white dinner jacket is worn in the tropics or during summer months, so he'd certainly stand out on a winter crossing!

Peter

I'm wondering: do these slashed prices include airfare? If not, what's the add on?

Chris

I'm not sure what the "slashed prices" are, but your rate will depend on which side of the pond you are booking from.

In the US, the rates have been steady for about a month now. Providing you have sailed with Cunard before, or have received a special mailing, you can expect the following (and yes, these rates *include* one-way air from most US East Coast cities to London, and also the transfer from London to Southampton).

Rates are "per person".

M7 - Waitlist

M6 - $724

M3 - $899

M2 - $949

M1 - $999

C6 -Waitlist

C5 - $1174

P4 - $2499

P3 - $2849

Q4 - $3499

Q3 - $3899

No other categories are being offered at this promo rate. All cabins booked are on a guarantee basis. Taxes will vary depending on your air city, but expect around $35 per person.

Ernie

Regarding transportation from London area to Southampton, from Heathrow, Southwest Trains runs an hourly service. It's bus to Woking and then train to Southampton. The same company also runs almost half hourly train service to Southampton from Waterloo. I took this last December when making the crossing and had no problems with space for luggage. The train was not that full. Go to www.trainsfares.co.uk for all the times and schedules. Im looking forward to the trip. Called Cunard this morning, but have still not been assigned a cabin. I look forward to meeting everyone and take solice that I am not the only "crazy" person doing this. But I do love it!

My name, btw, is Chris.

Ernie,

Possibly this TA has inventory they want to shift, but they are advertising 'ocean view brochure $4399' for $799. The 'brochure' $4399 is a C4. I know we can't mention TAs, but this is one you might use to go (on) vacation.....if you get my drift....

Peter

I'm not sure what the "slashed prices" are, but your rate will depend on which side of the pond you are booking from.

In the US, the rates have been steady for about a month now. Providing you have sailed with Cunard before, or have received a special mailing, you can expect the following (and yes, these rates *include* one-way air from most US East Coast cities to London, and also the transfer from London to Southampton).

Rates are "per person".

M7 - Waitlist

M6 - $724

M3 - $899

M2 - $949

M1 - $999

C6 -Waitlist

C5 - $1174

P4 - $2499

P3 - $2849

Q4 - $3499

Q3 - $3899

No other categories are being offered at this promo rate. All cabins booked are on a guarantee basis. Taxes will vary depending on your air city, but expect around $35 per person.

Ernie

We got nowhere close to this price. It was very confusing and I am not sure that any of the agents really knew what they were doing. Got the email, tried to book at those prices, Cunard said no, those offers were no longer valid. Seems there was some real confusion over the crossing offer and the extra two days to FLL offer. I guess the extra two days did NOT include the discount prices for the crossing, with air and transfers.

Called TA, got a little over $1100.00pp for 8 days to FLL C-5 guarantee, NO air, NO transfers. It was an additional $853.00pp for coach air from Phoenix and a little more for the transfers.

By the way, we arrive LHR on Jan 2 about noon. Anyone want to share a limo to Southampton??? We made arrangements to stay in Southampton the night of the 2nd, so will depart directly from the airport.

Gina

Gina:

I agree with Peter, have him bring the tux. It will be perfect for QE2 crossing the North Atlantic in January.

Now to the important topic, what are you bringing to dazzle us with ????

Tom;)

QE2 Winter Crossing Club

January 2006 Crossing

Southampton-NY

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway 2K (Kyle)

* Ken W.

* sfo-john

* transat jon

* guernseyguy (Peter)

* eroller (ernie)

* Cruisin Pup

* Richard Schmidt

* Mr. Murdoch

* Transatlantic Tom (Tom & Jan)

* juliecat (Julia)

* Calliope (Frank)

* Bluenoser

* Confetti (Cheryl)

* transat (Chris)

* sandiegoprincess (Sandi)

* seagreen

* tandemtourer (Rebecca)

* captaintandem (Tom)

* Post Captain (John & Maureen)

* greatam (Dennis & Gina)

* Allis154 (Kyla & Troy)

* Peter B

We got nowhere close to this price. It was very confusing and I am not sure that any of the agents really knew what they were doing.

I completely agree that many of the Cunard agents (or should I say Princess agents) have no clue about the Cunard product or how to price World Cruise segments. I usually call about three times until I finally get the agent that knows what they are doing and quotes me the price I want.

I should also mention those prices I quoted are for the six-day crossing to NY only. I have no idea what the rates or promos are to take QM2 down to Ft. Lauderdale.

Ernie

Ernie:

Would you be so kind as to scan the image, from your '68 deck plans, of cabin 4115 ???

Thank you !!

Tom

Hi Tom,

No problem. Here you are. 4115 looks compact, but I think the location is very good. The cabin is listed as being 138 sq ft.

You are in a mini-corridor that has seven cabins off it! I think that is the most for QE2. No doubt you will get to know your neighbors when coming and going.

Ernie

QE2Cabin4115-vi.jpg?333424

I should also mention those prices I quoted are for the six-day crossing to NY only. I have no idea what the rates or promos are to take QM2 down to Ft. Lauderdale.

The September 2005 Special Value mailing from Cunard lists prices for the 2 additional days to Fort Lauderdale as being $100 more per person for the following categories: Q4, P4, C6, M3 and M7. It lists C6 SH to FLL at $1199, M3 at $999 and M7 as $799. Air is not included.

I completely agree that many of the Cunard agents (or should I say Princess agents) have no clue about the Cunard product or how to price World Cruise segments.

Ernie that is so true: two days before receiving the mailing I telephoned Cunard and the agent and her supervisor were of the opinion that the 8 day segment was not possible.

Ernie:

Thank you very much !!

After being in #5207 (95 sq. ft.) for last December's crossing -and yet being happy with 5207 last trip- this cabin is looking like the Queen Elizabeth or Queen Mary suite to me !!!

Tom

Hey Tom,

My friends were in 5207 during a crossing a few years ago. I was in 5206. You're right about one thing ... 5207 is a SMALL cabin! ;)

Ernie

Archived