Afternoon Tea

jessca3

Princess does a great job with afternoon tea. I always try to make it. Not to be missed! I will warn those who have early, traditional dining that if you go to afternoon tea, you will have a hard time eating dinner. So many nummy things are served. Happy teatime:D

I think it depends on which ship you are on as to exactly what the do in regard to afternoon tea, if some ships are having it every day in the dining room. Our experience has been that there is an elegant or formal afternoon tea on the sea days in one of the dining rooms and on the other days the tea is served in the Horizon Buffet, like a self-serve type operation.

It's lucky they didn't know I had my swimsuit on under my long, summer cover-up dress. :p I go in right from where I've been lounging out near the pool. I love their scones with whipped cream and jam. And, I've also aquired a taste for tea with a splash of milk and Sweet & Low since cruising on Princess. :)

Dress code is standard breakfast or lunch apparel - no swimsuits!

Ron

It's lucky they didn't know I had my swimsuit on under my long, summer cover-up dress. :p I go in right from where I've been lounging out near the pool. I love their scones with whipped cream and jam. And, I've also aquired a taste for tea with a splash of milk and Sweet & Low since cruising on Princess. :)

Ditto on all you have said here. Sounds like we'd be good cruising friends; I'll meet you at afternoon tea. :D :D

LaShon/Suzie

Afternoon tea - usually served in dining room, midafternoon, with scones, little open faced sandwiches and cookies, by white-gloved waiters. Very British in origin - a midafternoon pickmeup to quell peckishness before supper.

I can't describe clotted cream, except to say it is thick like sour cream but sweet, and spread on scones and biscuits.

Princess does not have a true clotted cream on Princess, we have been at the Princess teas and it is more of a whipped cream.

Although not cheap if you are in Victoria go to the Empress for Tea. They have great scones and real clotted cream. Since theirs come from Jersey cows, they call it jersey cream. I love the real clotted cream and do not like what they serve at Princess teas. Even the waiters have said it is not clotted cream. A real clotted cream tastes and spreads almost like butter.

I had afternoon tea on the Grand a couple of weeks ago. The cream wasn't 'clotted cream' as I know it here in the UK. The scones were served warm with jam and whipped cream. The only thing that surprised me was that I expected there would be a platter of dainty sandwiches (crusts cut off) but instead we were offered mini savoury filled rolls and croissants. They also gave everyone a selection of biscuits (mouth sized bites). Yummy.

Laura

If you ever have the opportunity, try some clotted cream (or Devonshire cream). You can get a hermetically sealed version on igourmet.com.

I love tea (have hosted many) and it's even better when it's all served and arranged and best of all prepared by someone else!

I look forward to it on CB in the next two weeks.

As other posters said, there are a lot of yummy things that can be served at tea, but keep in mind that you are suppose to feel hungry as it's traditionally just to tide you over (till dinner) and be a short social event.

As other posters said, there are a lot of yummy things that can be served at tea, but keep in mind that you are suppose to feel hungry as it's traditionally just to tide you over (till dinner) and be a short social event.

Easier said than done. I'll have another scone, please.:D :D

hmmm...maybe I can talk our group of ladies into bringing pretty dresses and dressing up for tea one day....would we look weird if we did that? I guess it would be ok if they did tea in the dining room - anyone know where they do tea on the Regal on Alaska cruises? (I'm going with at least 4 other single ladies on a group cruise) :)

hmmm...maybe I can talk our group of ladies into bringing pretty dresses and dressing up for tea one day....would we look weird if we did that? I guess it would be ok if they did tea in the dining room - anyone know where they do tea on the Regal on Alaska cruises? (I'm going with at least 4 other single ladies on a group cruise) :)

I have been to tea on my cruises on Royal and CArnival and majority of the people only wore shorts and day time apparal. I don tthink dresses would have been out of place. Tea was not held in the dining room but a lounge that was all dressed up- with cloth napkins and little tabble clothes on the coffee tables.

I never been on Princess so look forward to tea there. I am sure it is not much different. Its a nice time for family and friends to get together to rehash their cruise and relax.

Archived