Belize NCL catamaran excursion ?

Zeno

Has anyone taken the "Rendevous key" catamaran snorkeling excursion?

If so I have a couple of questions.

How long was the catamaran ride to the key?

Do they pick you up right at the ship?

How smooth was the ride ? (We have a friend who does not handle rough seas on small boats well)

Was the snorkeling suitable for a beginner?

Did they supply belts or snorkeling vests ?

Thanks for any info.

I had a real tough time responding - board is tempermental tonight - so giving it one last go. Well, that worked

The ride out to the key is at least 1/2 hour - maybe longer. It got a little bumpy, but not so bad the rum spilled. :)

When we went, the morning trip picked up at the ship and dropped off at the town dock (longer trip dock tp key than key to ship), afternoon is the reverse. You just have to go to Belize City!

Vests are provided and required. The water was fairly deep, all of our group were good swimmers and experienced snorkelers, I can't really say too much that would guide a "newbie" or poor swimmer. One side of the island is windly and somewhat rough, the other is in the lee and is calm.

Hope this helps.

Joemedic- This is CPT's wife- I think your kids will enjoy this excursion as long as they like swimming and/or playing on the beach. The cay/key is a very small island with a few trees (so some shade). One side has a nice (small) beach area with shallow water for kids to wade, etc. There are foam mats to float in the water or use on the land, plus kayaks (all free). The boat doesn't dock, so you enter the deep water from the boat's back landing- two ladders or jump in. Another option is to ask for a crew member to transfer your family to the island by kayak, so that you can enter the water from the beach. The kids can practice snorkelling in shallower water and can stand up if they're nervous. After a little practice, they can then venture out with the rest of the group. The distance from the boat to the island is not far at all- an easy swim. Also, there are no restrooms on the island, just on the boat- remind your kids before you leave the boat! Sodas were available on board (in addition to the aforementioned rum punch!); crew members were friendly and helpful. This excursion is several hours - you may want to bring some small beach toys- shovel, trucks, boats,whatever- for entertainment if you have several kids at the young end of your 6-13 year range. Don't worry about the drinking; it's only on the ride back and no more than on the ship itself!

For Zeno- I remember that they took novices aside and gave them extra instructions before entering the water. They also had several crew members in kayaks watching us snorkel and asking if anyone needed help. I think this would be a great place to learn to snorkel. Also, as I mentioned above, you have the option of being kayaked to the island first (or swimming right there from the boat).

Thx for the great info. My husband and I are experienced snorklers (although I am not a really strong swimmer) but our friend who will be with us has only done a little off the shore snorkeling - so we want to be sure that she will be comfortable.

One additional question - if one takes the morning snorkel - is it possible to be dropped off at the ship rather than the tender dock?

Thx for the great info. My husband and I are experienced snorklers (although I am not a really strong swimmer) but our friend who will be with us has only done a little off the shore snorkeling - so we want to be sure that she will be comfortable.

One additional question - if one takes the morning snorkel - is it possible to be dropped off at the ship rather than the tender dock?

Sorry - on our cruises they drop everyone off at one place - the town dock. Wander around (inside the customs area as the nearby town is not very interesting), buy a postcard, have a beverage and hit the tender for a late lunch onn board.

You don't need to be a strong swimmer, just comfortable in the water.

Archived