LA Airport to Dock: How far and how much

dutrie

I can't tell you cost, since I never use a taxi when in LA....always a rental car.

But, I drive that stretch very often. It seems like a short distance......am guessing right around 20 miles. If you are driving middle of the day (or middle of the night! :D ) when traffic is flowing, it will take you 30+ minutes.

But, I have also gone during busy times of the day (5:30-6:00 am to 9:30 am and 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm or if there is an accident) when it has taken me 90 mins. That's an extreme....but that's LA traffic. :rolleyes:

cheers

Figure on about 30 minute ride and about $50 + for a taxi. Not sure what time of day would cost $30 from LAX to pier area but I'd be happy to only pay that. Traffic in LA area is always an issue, sometimes it is just "moving along" but other times not - always figure on some traffic no matter what time of day/night. If there are more then just two of you it may pay to look into a Limo service or Town Car as those are flat fees.

Just did this itinerary out of San Pedro a few months ago and we paid right around $40 from LGB to our hotel in San Pedro with no traffic. LGB is a bit closer to San Pedro than LAX so I would expect the cab from LAX to cost a bit more.

from last year when Diamond started her Mexican Riviera cruise from San Pedro.

Anyway, that was how we did it last Dec - We flew in a day early and picked up a Hertz rental at LAX - with 5% AAdvantage discount, the compact rental car costed us $22 before gas. We returned the car at Hertz Long Beach City Office (in downtown Long Beach) the following morning. Hertz reimbursed $5.00 cab fee from the final bill, made it $17 for 24 hr rental. Hertz called a cab for us - it costed $14 from Long Beach to San Pedro pier using the most direct route. Almost $2.00 fare were on the circular entrance way outside the Pier. The cab had to make 2 large circular turns before it could pull in front of the terminal.

Having a car meant we did not have to stay at San Pedro - there are a lot more choices and better hotels in Long Beach area. We stayed at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort, which is further south from Long Beach. We used points for a free night, plus the hotel is a very beautiful, 2 years old Spanish Villa type property with a stunning view of Sunset on Huntington Beach. HWY 1 (Pacific Coast HWY) from Long Beach to Huntington Beach to Newport Beach is a very pleasant drive.

When we returned from the cruise, we took Super Shuttle - they were lining up just outside terminal - $12 per person to LAX. We were among the first few groups disembarked. On the way to LAX, there was a traffic accident on the opposite of the freeway. Due to rubbernecking, despite it was a Saturday morning before 8:30am, it still took almost 60 minutes to get to LAX.

nho9504,

We also need transportation from the Sapphire to LAX after our Mexican Riviera cruise. This "Super Shuttle" - you said that they line up outside the terminal? Does that mean you just get on it - 1st come, 1st serve OR do you have to book it ahead of time? We will probably not be off the ship right away as we have our own air and our flight doesn't leave until 4:00 p.m. If we are one of the last groups off - do you think this Super Shuttle will be there or do they just come at the crack of dawn? Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated! It sure sounds a lot cheaper than a cab!

I use Priceline for the hotel. I think I only paid $50/night at the Sheraton. Three star - very nice. Check out Bidding for Travel under San Gabriel/Long Beach and it'll show the hotels in San Pedro.

I did not use Super Shuttle "from the ship to the airport." I used the Princess bus to the airport. Don't remember the price. Super Shuttle has a website and you could call them about the return. I did make reservations from airport to hotel.

Thanks for all the information. Although I would like to arrive a day early, we can't as my wife teaches and her spring break starts on March 25th, the day the cruise leaves.

I am in Wisconsin, and I have found direct flights on two airlines that get into LAX at about 11 AM or a bit later, so I need the transportation to the dock.

The shuttle sounds good, but I can't find any information about cost on-line. Does anyone know what they charge per person?

The shuttle sounds good, but I can't find any information about cost on-line. Does anyone know what they charge per person?
There are two shuttle services and they cost $16 - $17/pp for a shared van. You get the van at the Shared Van island outside the terminal -- it's well-marked and easy to find. You'll find a shuttle dispatcher where they stop. You can either book online or get the van when you get there.

Prime Time Shuttle: http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/SoCal.htm

Super Shuttle: http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/lax.htm

nho9504,

We also need transportation from the Sapphire to LAX after our Mexican Riviera cruise. This "Super Shuttle" - you said that they line up outside the terminal? Does that mean you just get on it - 1st come, 1st serve OR do you have to book it ahead of time? We will probably not be off the ship right away as we have our own air and our flight doesn't leave until 4:00 p.m. If we are one of the last groups off - do you think this Super Shuttle will be there or do they just come at the crack of dawn? Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated! It sure sounds a lot cheaper than a cab!

It is first come first serve - they have several mini vans lining up waiting for passengers. When we boarded the shuttle we found a couple we befriended during the cruise were already in the van - They made a reservation on the web and paid by credit card at the time, but that did not mean they have any priority - same as any other passengers who took the shuttle - and they still needed to wait till the van filled up - we were the last couple boarded the van - they said they waited about 10 min inside the van ...

We got off early, probably within the first 30 min of disembarkation. There were at least 4 Super Shuttles waiting. We were going to LAX to pick up a rental car driving up to Bay Area - while there was no deadline for us but obviously the earlier we could start the better off we would be. I managed to get a priority disembarkation tag from purser desk on the 2nd last day so we could take off early.

Archived