Sushi

Pjran

My husband loves sushi and in the past on Celebrity he's enjoyed some at 5pm. I've read that you can sometimes get this in the Vines wine bar.

My questions are;

Do you have to buy a glass of wine?

Can I order a non alcoholic drink or a coffee?

Is there a charge for the sushi?

Thank you.

I can't drink but I do order the non alcoholic drink package. Hubby can drink. He doesn't like too many types of sushi. What if her were to order wine and I ate his sushi? Think I can charm my way into getting it that way? I would really like to try theirs.

My husband loves sushi and in the past on Celebrity he's enjoyed some at 5pm. I've read that you can sometimes get this in the Vines wine bar.

My questions are;

Do you have to buy a glass of wine?

Can I order a non alcoholic drink or a coffee?

Is there a charge for the sushi?

Thank you.

Vines has sushi beginning at 5PM. It's at no cost with the purchase of any drink.

My DH orders Jack Daniels on the rocks. Some people don't drink so they order a virgin drink.

Enjoy the sushi! :)

LuLu

Maybe it depends on the cruise ship but one day at lunchtime on the Island they had a sushi bar in the Horizon Court with crew serving. We love sushi. Unfortunately this was about the worst sushi I've ever had. Think about the sushi you can buy in a package at the grocery store after its been sitting a couple of days. I couldn't eat it - the Island sushi that is, the grocery store sushi might have been better! After asking a few questions we found out they made the rice the day before or at least that's all they would confess to. It's my guess they made the majority of the sushi the day before too. I've eaten sushi on other cruise lines that was fresh, but I'm not sure I'd ever want to try it on Princess again. Well maybe I'd convince my traveling companion to try it first and see if it passes the taste test and then I'd give it a try. It sounds like the specialty sushi restaurants on the above mentioned ships would be the best bet for good sushi on Princess.

Thank you for all your replies.

We will be on the Emerald in October and I will pass the info regarding the sushi to my husband. I will just order a virgin cocktail so he can get his plate of complimentary sushi and enjoy.

When this happens, the rice gets very dry and almost impossible to eat.
That was exactly my experience with the sushi at Vines on Star Princess. But there was a guy next to us who asked for 4 or 5 plates of it, so YMMV :p

Other sushi sightings on board included this crazy colored maki on the buffet one day (looks like they also had smoked salmon nigiri :():

sushi_2_zps9653a39e.jpg

And in the MDR one evening, this "Deep Fried Sushi with Bacardi Wasabi Emulsion and Kimchi, tempura fried vegetable rice rolls and spicy marinated cabbage, winning dish of the 6th annual Bacardi bartender & chef cruise competition":

sushi_1_zps48a1315b.jpg

Thank you for all your replies.

We will be on the Emerald in October and I will pass the info regarding the sushi to my husband. I will just order a virgin cocktail so he can get his plate of complimentary sushi and enjoy.

My post #7 was based on our experience in Vines in January 2014 on Crown and on Emerald the year before.

They had a Sushi Chef who also made tapas. They will bring you a little plate or you can pick out what you want from what he is preparing.

It was a very popular place for senior staff members.

LuLu

My post #7 was based on our experience in Vines in January 2014 on Crown and on Emerald the year before.

They had a Sushi Chef who also made tapas. They will bring you a little plate or you can pick out what you want from what he is preparing.

LuLu

Thank you LuLu.

This will be our first Princess cruise and I'm counting the days. Fortunately I've been granted Elite status and my husband Platinum as we have both cruised with P&O. I'm certainly looking forward to the Elite benefits and my husband will be pleased to taste the sushi. Sushi is not for me, the only rice I enjoy cold is a traditional baked rice pudding.

LuLu

I really liked sushi at Vines on Emerald - but I LOVED their ceviche, it was absolutely amazing!