Intinerary Ideas

TardisDance

I have less than a month to my cruise and I'm not only a first time cruiser, it's also my first trip to Bermuda. Here's my tentative plan of what to do for 2.5 days. Does this sound feasible? I hope I'm not packing in too much. I'm not much of a beach person, so I probably won't spend much time in the sand (more just for view and pictures). I'd like to devote most of my time to hikes/leisure walks. Also, I will get a 2 day ferry/bus pass so getting around isn't an issue from the royal naval dock. Any advice would be appreciated!

Day 1 - Take ferry to Hamilton

1) Crystal and Fantasy Caves

2) Go to Swizzle inn either before or after for lunch

3) Go to Blue Point Park - according to map, it's right near the caves. What's the best way to enter? I've heardabout this Tom Moore's jungle but I don't know much about it.

4) Go to Spittal Pond if there's time

5) Visit botanical gardens.

Would it make more sense to return via the ferry or by bus only?

Day 2 - I think this all involves #7 bus

1) Stop by Glass bottom beach

2) Visit either horseshoe bay beach or Warwick beach

3) Visit Gibbons Hill lighthouse

If there's anything worth visiting on this route, I'd love tips.

Day 3

(Since the ship leaves at 5, I'm going to stick to docks mostly)

1) Try the railway trail

2) Lunch at frog & onion

3) Drop by glassworks and rum cake place (forget names)

4)Visit the maritime museum

I'm not much of a history buff, so I was planning on skipping St George on this trip.

I have less than a month to my cruise and I'm not only a first time cruiser, it's also my first trip to Bermuda. Here's my tentative plan of what to do for 2.5 days. Does this sound feasible? I hope I'm not packing in too much. I'm not much of a beach person, so I probably won't spend much time in the sand (more just for view and pictures). I'd like to devote most of my time to hikes/leisure walks. Also, I will get a 2 day ferry/bus pass so getting around isn't an issue from the royal naval dock. Any advice would be appreciated!

Day 1 - Take ferry to Hamilton

1) Crystal and Fantasy Caves

2) Go to Swizzle inn either before or after for lunch

3) Go to Blue Point Park - according to map, it's right near the caves. What's the best way to enter? I've heardabout this Tom Moore's jungle but I don't know much about it.

4) Go to Spittal Pond if there's time

5) Visit botanical gardens.

Would it make more sense to return via the ferry or by bus only?

Day 3

1) Try the railway trail

2) Lunch at frog & onion

I'm not much of a history buff, so I was planning on skipping St George on this trip.

Also, I wanted to add, I'm not sure if makes better sense to see the botanical gardens on day 2 instead. I don't believe the #7 goes there.

.....you are packing an awful lot into this trip. We try to do 1 excursion a day. Wednesday we are renting a boat for half a day and Thursday we have the day at Coco Reef. Not sure where everything is in location to each other but I wish you luck.

I remember when I cruised to Alaska we tried to do 2 excursion a day. By the third port day we were spent. We had 2 things left to do, a train ridr up the gold rush trail or a hiking, canoeing bicycle adventure.

Needless to say, laziness won out and we took the train ride.

Had a great time.

Only 25 days and some odd hours till departure. I'm going to have to talk to my dog and ask him how the hell he sleeps 22 hours a day. If I could do that the cruise would come in no time.

Talk to you on the roll call.

;)

wasiii

Yeah, looking over my list, it does seem like a lot! So many places to see, so little time! I reread my op and realized I typed "glass bottom.beach." I was looking at glass bottom boat tours and meant sea glass beach. Sure a glass bottom beach would be quite a sight though! I may skip this since sea glass is confiscated anyway.

Hi,

See my suggestions in red below:

Day 1 - Take ferry to Hamilton Since you are on the Breakaway, why not take the 9:30am ferry to St-George ( 40 min ) Then bus to Caves ( 20 minutes )

1) Crystal and Fantasy Caves I really suggest to do only the Crystal cave ( 30 min ) if not, expect to spend about 75 min there.

2) Go to Swizzle inn either before or after for lunch Great idea after the Caves

Ok, now it should be around 12:30 or 13:15 if you did both caves.

3) Go to Blue Point Park - according to map, it's right near the caves. What's the best way to enter? I've heardabout this Tom Moore's jungle but I don't know much about it. I bet you mean "Blue HOLE Park ;) , it's about a 15 minute walk from the caves to reach Tom Moore's Tavern. Now this is where you want to plan how much time you want to stay there...if you want to visit the other places.

4) Go to Spittal Pond if there's time By bus ( #1 or #3 ) expect a 10 minutes ride. Again plan how much time you want to spend there...

5) Visit botanical gardens. Via bus #1 only, expect a short 10 minute ride. Again...plan the length of your visit...

Bus #1 to Hamilton and 20 min ferry to Dockyard.

That way you will see a little of St-George AND Hamilton on the same trip.

Would it make more sense to return via the ferry or by bus only? Ferry is only 20 minute...do it by ferry )

I would start with bus#7 to Horseshoe and I would walk the path that leads to the other beaches and ends at Warwick...it's a short walk and you will have splendid beaches along the way.

Then bus#7 back to Gibb's Hill Lighthouse, expect a small walk to actually reach the Lighthouse. IT IS WORTH IT ! The view is great from up there.

Bus #7 to head back to Glass beach. And finally reach Dockyard.

I would start with Horseshoe because it can get crowded on the beach AND on the bus to reach it...better early than wasting long waits to get on the bus...

Day 3

1) Try the railway trail

2) Lunch at frog & onion

That's what most of the passengers do!

By starting Day 1 in St-George, you will have the opportunity to see a little of the town...no need to visit actual attractions if you are not into it...just have a glance and feel of the town while getting to the bus from the ferry :)

Day One is well packed...but doable IF you manage the time you want to spend at each places.

Have a look at this website, it's easy to find all the details about the attractions on the Island : http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/

Have fun !

Thanks for the tips! I may skip Spittal Pond entirely on this trip and focus on Blue Hole since it's relatively close to the caves. There's apparently plenty of birds there too for photos which is why I wanted to see the pond. Also, I'm might see the botanical gardens on the second day after the lighthouse. It does look like it's accessible by the #7 bus.

I might just be sleeping well just from exhaustion on the 1st day ;)

Thanks for the tips! I may skip Spittal Pond entirely on this trip and focus on Blue Hole since it's relatively close to the caves. There's apparently plenty of birds there too for photos which is why I wanted to see the pond. Also, I'm might see the botanical gardens on the second day after the lighthouse. It does look like it's accessible by the #7 bus.

I might just be sleeping well just from exhaustion on the 1st day ;)

The Botanical Garden is accessible by bus #7. The stop is about 1/2 mile from the Garden.

I don't know if you found this map : http://www.mappery.com/map-of/Bermuda-Public-Transport-Map , it's helpful !

Have fun !

Please, please ignore the ferry schedules on that map...the map was created in 2006.

I posted that to show the bus stops...not the schedule...should have made sure it was clear...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app