Radiance - compare to Zui?

mmacdcc

We took our first cruise last winter, Zuiderdam/Eastern Caribbean. We just loved it. Now we're looking to take another cruise for our anniversary.

We've narrowed it down to either the Radiance/West Carib (1/8/06) or the Veendam/West Carib (2/4/06).

Anybody been on both? If so, how do they compare, and how do they compare to the Zuiderdam?

Thanks!

Having been on all 3 ships you mentioned... here's my opinion(s):

Radiance is a much nice ship than the Veendam and larger as well so you'll have more amenities and public areas. I also prefer the Radiance to the Zuiderdam as the Radiance is a more classy, beautiful ship.

Radiance has a lot more windows and exterior glass than the 2 mentioned HAL ships. I also felt the food was better on RCI.

RCI crew seem to be more "happy" and interactive with the passengers than the HAL crew, although the HAL crew are very good but more shy and reserved.

RCI gets a wider mix of ages while HAL, especially Veendam seem to attract an older older group.

I hope this helps.

It helps a lot, especially about the appearance/food/crew. I thought the food and crew on the Z were great, if the Radiance is as good I'll be thrilled!

It's looking like the Radiance, especially since it's a little cheaper than the Veendam.

Last time we went out of Ft. Lauderdale, how does Miami compare? I've been hunting for hotels, and reading the comments on Miami hotels on other threads, which is a HUGE help (and it sure was last year, too!).

I like to fly down the day before, just so we have time to relax a little before we leave.

I want to make a decision in the next few days, because airfare is likely to go up and I want to book flights before it does.

I find Miami is as easy a place to emabrk as FLL. The only difference with MIA is, most of the hotels close to the port are downtown and are a bit more pricey than those in FLL. Each time I need a pre-cruise hotel, I use the Hyatt Regency downtown Miami and have always been happy with the rooms and service. You can go on Priceline and put in a bit for MIA hotels but make sure you request at least a 4 star property and select "downtown" as your location. You can also walk from the Hyatt to Bayside for dinner/shopping/drinks etc the night before your cruise. A cab ride from hotel to ship will only cost around $5.00 and takes minutes.

As far as embarkation is concerned. RCI has this down to a science. I've embarked in a wide variety of cities with them and have never had a bad experience. They usually begin boarding around 11am, barring any delays from Customs/Immigration on the inbound cruise.

Happy Sailing

Archived