Just how exclusive is RSSC?

My wife and I are in our mid-thirties and have two children ages eight and nine. We are neither well traveled nor do we have terribly interesting careers. However, we are able to afford a seven-day Alaska RSSC cruise and were wondering if we would be totally out of place. We are quiet and generally unpretentious, but enjoy fine food and pampering on occasion.

I've heard a few people comment on how wonderful RSSC is, but I've also heard comments about the luxury lines that indicate that maybe the atmosphere is just a little too rarefied for my family.

Any advice??

Justin

Et introibo ad altare Dei: ad Deum qui laetificat juventutem meam.

Gather up your family and go, Justin! If the itinerary and Radisson's style appeal to you, you should have a fine time.

Your main goal in taking a cruise is undoubtedly to spend time with and enjoy your wife and children. You owe your fellow passengers good manners, but you do not have to have a fascinating life story (and I bet yours is more interesting than you're letting on) to be fun to travel with. You can focus on your loved ones and enjoy any like-minded passengers you happen to meet.

Just my opinion, but there are pretentious people and unpretentious people everywhere. If you want to go, go and let the others worry about fitting in with you

Every well traveled person had a first trip. Bon voyage if this is yours!

MarnaLou

My recommendation would be GO FOR RSSC. Your experience will be of the highest quality. We don't like stuffy formality and didn't find a hint of it on our 2003 trip on Voyager. But we do enjoy great food, special attention, and an absence of lines. We got all that on Voyager and then some.

We did Alaska years ago on Princess and had a wonderful time. Now that we've experienced RSSC, Princess would be a painful step down.

Patrick

Well said, Marna Lou.

Justin, You and your family will have a great time. Alaska is a great cruise for children. They will love the Mariner. You may want to look into the Club Marnier program for them. It seems to offer fun activities for children.

Beth

Originally posted by MarnaLou:

Every well traveled person had a first trip. Bon voyage if this is yours!

Hi Justin. I won a cruise on any RSSC cruise ship. I too worried that we would be like the Beverly Hillbillies cruising on the RSSC. We go on the June 23 cruise to Alaska and hopefully will find many people like ourselves..just out to be pampered and enjoy the scenery! ENJOY!!!

There's no need to worry, whatsoever; go and just ENJOY! Just be prepared; you won't want to ever go another line, once you have experienced RSSC.

The staff always greets you with a smile, heaven forbid that you should carry your own plate at a buffet, it's simply the best cruise experience you could ever imagine.

Again, enjoy!

I admit that I had some minor concerns about feeling out of place. We tend to treat our vacations as our "splurge" where others spend elsewhere. I'm not as anxious as I was when I first made my reservations for our upcoming RSSC cruise. The people on this board have been anything but snooty. If thats any indication I think we're both in for a great time. However, I agree with the other commenter that you will find elitists everywhere you go. Manners and being polite should be a rule everywhere, but knowing that is a pipedream I'm hoping that this cruise will offer more experiences of people being mannerly than the other mainstream cruises.

Justin,

The only thing you need to worry about is being spoiled for life after your first RSSC cruise!!

You'll have a wonderful time. Alaska is such a great place to visit, too. Enjoy!

I have found that RSSC is not really any different than other cruise lines except

1. You never have a hugh group of people making you wait in lines.

2. The service at dinner seems to be a little more professional and knowledgeable than others.

3. The passengers are the same just not as many.

4. The wine steward really DOES know what they are talking about!!

5. GO! Have a good time. You will be spoiled and will want to cruise RSSC all the time.

I agree with the above but ... It depends on what your expectations are for your kids.

Ok everybody yell at me but ....

There are not as many kids and depending on the cruise depends on the Kids Program. Even if there is a Kids Program, your kids are not entertained 24/7. So if you are expecting to have a lot of time without them, you might be disappointed. You know your kids. My son would have hated it. He loved Royal Carribbean with the Rock Climbing Wall etc.

That being said, it is the best and once you go on one you will never go back to the Mass Market Cruise lines.

We home-school and live in the country, so my children really are used to making their own fun. Also, getting them out from under foot is almost never a priority with us. Where we go, they go. (Within reason) They'd be content with whatever is at hand. Including us. We seem to be the most used toys around. icon_wink.gif

I realize that RSSC is mostly an adult line, that is why I was looking for a cruise when the Club Mariner program would be available. I didn't want to stick out too much.

Justin

Justin

Justin we've taken our teens cruising on one of Celebrity's big ships and on one of Radisson's much smaller ships. They both preferred Radisson hands down so we are taking them on the Diamond this summer. As you say they make their own fun onboard. And FridaysCruiseWinner we won our very first cruise on Radisson and liked it so much we starting doing it on our own. All of you will have a wonderful time!

Sue

Hi:

I just returned from a Bermuda cruise with an 8-year-old daughter. On this particular cruise there were less than 5 people under twenty. If your children are used to entertaining themselves, it will be fine and the extra room in the cabins is worth the extra price. The cabins each have a vcr and the library offers free videos for rainy days.

I believe the Club Mariner program runs during the summer on most Alaska cruises. At times there are as many as 40 children on board so the staff plans many activities for them to enjoy such as behind-the-stage tours etc. The difference between Radisson and other cruise lines is that they don't allow children to run wild around the ship unsupervised. Personally, I think this is a good thing because accidents can happen or worse. They only allow children over the age of 14 to sign themselves out of the children's program whereas other lines sometimes allow children as young as eight to do this.

Have fun!

To the contrary of your fears, you will find Radisson's Alaska cruises to be quite informal. For dinners, some will be casual (shirts and slacks for men) and some will be informal (just add a jacket), and there will be no formal nights. Onboard, you will meet a nice mix of fellow guests, who are even nicer because they aren't stressed out by lines and crowds and fixed time dinners. If you book the cheapest accomodations,you'll have a balcony suite that would be many upgrades on other lines, and you may even pay less for it. Then consider all of Radisson's inclusions and lack of nickel and diming, you'll probably find what many other s have. If you want a nice suite for your cruise, Radisson is often less expensive than the mass market lines.

Thanks,

Richard icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

CajunLiner,

My wife and I took a Caribbean cruise on the Diamond just this past April. We are in our early 40s and this was a concern of ours as well as we are generally pretty low-key people. It turned out that there was nothing to be concerned about as we fit in very well with the clientele on this particulary cruise.

In fact we enjoyed this cruise so much that we immediately booked an Alaska cruise this year for our whole family which includes three children and two grandmothers. I think that you will feel very comfortable on RSSC.

Just go!

In the classroom we use pictures, books, videos, what ever we can find to teach meaningful lessons about our largest State. Nothing will teach your children more about Alaska than seeing it from the deck or Observation Lounge of a small Radisson ship. The ports will amaze you all. Just take advantage of everything and it will be the experience of all of your life times.

All of the social issues have been addressed before my post and its all true.

Babs (Retired Educator)

cajun

Curious - have looked at the cabins and categories. I am not familiar at all with rssc but am in a similiar situation - in our forties with 2 daughters who have traveling with us since they were 2 1/2. The thought of a radisson cruise sounds great but the deck plans appear if the cabins only accomodate 3. we have sailed hal 2x and are booked for a 3rd sailing next year. Celebrity we liked but are going back to hal - but would love t try rssc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob/Martha:

cajun

Curious - have looked at the cabins and categories. I am not familiar at all with rssc but am in a similiar situation - in our forties with 2 daughters who have traveling with us since they were 2 1/2. The thought of a radisson cruise sounds great but the deck plans appear if the cabins only accomodate 3. we have sailed hal 2x and are booked for a 3rd sailing next year. Celebrity we liked but are going back to hal - but would love t try rssc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. I had noticed that myself. Does anyone know what options, other than booking two suites, are available for a family with two elementary age children?

Justin

I'm curious about a cabin for 4 also. We were just on the Navigator to Bermuda in a Navigator suite which accompanied three. The suite had a king size bed and a sofa which made into a full(not queen size bed). If the 4th passenger is sharing the sofa bed, it's going to be crowded.

Maybe they bring in a cot?

Regarding the fourth passenger in each room, we just went through this with RSSC for our Alaska trip. They will allow a fourth person in one of the three passenger rooms if they are under six years old and at least from my experience with this, they are very rigid in this policy.

Archived