What can i reach on foot

Mary521

Wondering what we can get to by foot. Will be there on Freedom of the Seas, with my son (1yr), nephew (4yr), and niece (2yr). Not sure about using the safari taxi with no way to buckle or use a car seat. So we were hoping to walk somewhere.

Thanks for your help!

Your ship will dock at Havensight. From there you can walk to The Butterfly Garden and Paradise Point. Paradise Point is an aerial tram that takes you to a beautiful look out area. The kids will enjoy the bird show that's offered several.times a day.

There are also stores and restaurants right at the dock.

• 2 weeks later...
You can also ask the taxi dispatcher for a taxi with seat belts and a car seat. Or you can contact VI Taxi Association (google) and reserve one.

You can arrange for one with car seat provided?? That is awesome news.

We are cruising with our almost 3 year old. If we don't bring his seat, what are the taxis like? Cars/vans or open air or busses?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wasn't too sure about Paradise Point when we were preparing to go up but once you see the view it is amazing! Close to the port and just high enough to get some nice views but not so high that everything is miniature. We took what have become some my favourite vacation pictures from the point. We thought it was a bit expensive but you can stay as long as you wish and there is a restaurant and a couple of shops at the top as well.

You can arrange for one with car seat provided?? That is awesome news.

We are cruising with our almost 3 year old. If we don't bring his seat, what are the taxis like? Cars/vans or open air or busses?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most of the taxis in St Thomas are larger vans. There are also some larger open air vehicles with lots of seats going to popular destinations ( presume this is what the OP called a safari) but if you explain you're needs to a dispatcher he'll set you up. Do be aware that with rare exception all taxis will be shared and the drivers will want to get the taxis full or relatively full with people going to the same destination or destinations along the same route. All fares are per person.

Most of the taxis in St Thomas are larger vans. There are also some larger open air vehicles with lots of seats going to popular destinations ( presume this is what the OP called a safari) but if you explain you're needs to a dispatcher he'll set you up. Do be aware that with rare exception all taxis will be shared and the drivers will want to get the taxis full or relatively full with people going to the same destination or destinations along the same route. All fares are per person.

Thanks for responding! We have a group of 5 so we'd be a good start to filling up any taxi. We are in port with 4 other ships so I'm thinking we may be taking an excursion anyway. Still trying to decide.

The safari taxis hold about 14 or so people.

I'm not sure what everyone is calling a Safari Taxi. The ones I'm thinking of usually have 5 rows of seats with each row holding 4 to 5 people although size varies. So that's 20 to 25 people.

DCP_1211bfin.jpg

Most of the regular taxis are large vans. They'll hold up to 10 or 12 people I think.

_wsb_250x187_david_by_van.jpg

Edited by Lsimon

Are the safari, open air ones easy to catch by port? We have small kids, no car seats, wondering if we could take those?

When you get off the ship there is a taxi line that is "relatively" organized with dispatchers sending people to certain cabs. Explain your needs to them be it car seats, desired vehicle, etc and they should be able to help. If you have specific concerns then google St. Thomas taxi and you'll find the numbers of different companies you can phone to ask in advance.

Edited by Lsimon