Horseback Swim GRand Cayman

seashinesunshine

We will be in Grand Cayman on Jan 8th. The Carnival Horse excursion looks like it does not do the swim. We have found a horse excursion that will allow us to swim and it is with Grand Cayman Tours. Has anyone used them before? It looks like they pick people up at the hotels in the area, but will they pick us up at the ship?

Any help and advise is appreciated. Both of us are experienced riders. We would look at another tour company if anyone has suggestions, the swim is a must have. :)

There are a few horseback riding operations in Cayman.

Spirit of the West specifically mentions swims. They are located in the Barkers area of West Bay.

Cayman Horseback Rides also mentions swims. They are also located in the Barkers area of West Bay.

Cayman Horse Riding also offers a swim. And they too are in the Barkers area.

and...

Pampered Ponies is the last operation I known of in the Barkers area. They too offer a swim.

Off the beaten path is...

Coral Stone Stables offer a swim. They are located in Bodden Town, well east of the pier and away from most cruise ship traffic.

I can provide the contact, but I'm no rider. I've not heard of an operation named Grand Cayman Tours, but it could be a booking agency. Some small companies prefer such arrangements as the booking agency can take care of front office operations while the small tour provider focuses of providing you a great tour.

There are a few horseback riding operations in Cayman.

Spirit of the West specifically mentions swims. They are located in the Barkers area of West Bay.

Cayman Horseback Rides also mentions swims. They are also located in the Barkers area of West Bay.

Cayman Horse Riding also offers a swim. And they too are in the Barkers area.

and...

Pampered Ponies is the last operation I known of in the Barkers area. They too offer a swim.

Off the beaten path is...

Coral Stone Stables offer a swim. They are located in Bodden Town, well east of the pier and away from most cruise ship traffic.

I can provide the contact, but I'm no rider. I've not heard of an operation named Grand Cayman Tours, but it could be a booking agency. Some small companies prefer such arrangements as the booking agency can take care of front office operations while the small tour provider focuses of providing you a great tour.

Thank you for the information. Yes Grand Cayman Tours is a booking agency, they didn't provide info as to what the stable name is though. This gives me a great start! The rides they offered were 10 and 2. 10 is too early and 2 scares me for getting back to the ship. Hopefully I can find one that is noon. :D

• 2 weeks later...

SeashineSunshine,

I see you are from N Dakota. I just wanted you to be aware that the horses in the Caribbean and not nearly as "fluffly" as our Midwestern horses. I am a very sensitive animal person and was a little saddened by the weight of the horses and by the fact they didn't have beautiful green pastures to live in, but sandy pastures. They horses were by no means malnourished or abused. But I just wanted to make you aware so you are so surprised like I was.

SeashineSunshine,

I see you are from N Dakota. I just wanted you to be aware that the horses in the Caribbean and not nearly as "fluffly" as our Midwestern horses. I am a very sensitive animal person and was a little saddened by the weight of the horses and by the fact they didn't have beautiful green pastures to live in, but sandy pastures. They horses were by no means malnourished or abused. But I just wanted to make you aware so you are so surprised like I was.

Thank you, I have been on a ride in the Caribbean before and made the same observation. It is part of island life, I guess. Can't imagine what a hay bale costs there, but I'm sure it's more than the 2$ we pay. One thing I have noticed there, is how much they love their horses. Even though I have only done one ride, I have been around them there several times and they really do think their horses are special. Not as fluffy like you noticed, but they are loved. They also don't need to bulk up with winter weight like ours do.