Uniworld - Portugal/Douro River review

cigloo

I am enjoying your reports. We were in Lisbon on the 10th and 11th. We debarked Sea Dream I, a very small cruise ship, on the 10th in the deluge of rain and in the midst of the subway strike. Not a good day. Cabs from the port were hard to get. Waited and waited! We had been to Lisbon before so with all the rain we just sorta chilled out and rested for our flight home the next day. Sounds like you got to see lots of the great local sights. I like Uniworld, so I am hoping your experience goes well!

Whatnot, we were in Lisbon the day of the strike and it was crazy.

Now for more of the review. First the ship. It is every bit as good as other Uniworld cruises we have been on. We are in a Jr Suite and it is very comfortable for the size of the ship. The ship is small due to the size of the locks. If I were the marine architect designing the ship I would have done a few minor things differently buy nothing important at all.

The hotel staff is super. Very responsive and very professional. We sent laundry out to be cleaned (free) and we got it back the same day. Can't get that at home. Bartenders remember names and drinks after the first day and most importantly, they know how to mix good drinks.

I read earlier complaints about the dining room; staff not good and food not up to par. This is certainly not true on our cruise. The staff is super attentive. You just look at one for a second and he/she is filling your wine glass or bringing you something. All have been very friendly and all speak English. The dining room manager and the chef are literally everywhere during a meal ensuring that the service meets Uniworld standards.

I know that Uniworld and Douro Azul are partnered on this cruise but if we were not told, you wouldn't know. Great ship and great staff.

On the second day of the cruise we had two options for seeing Porto. First was a bus ride around the city which was the "normal" tour. Second was "do as the locals do" which meant a walking tour. About two thirds of the cruisers opted for the walking tour and it was a good choice. First stop was the St Francis church with over 300kg of gold gilt. Then it was a bus ride to the top of one of the hills and a walk down. I would choose this again as I think it is the best option for photographers and people who want to walk off large breakfasts.

That afternoon, we sat on the top deck while we sailed up river. The scenery is spectacular and we were told it would get better. The bartender set up a bar on deck and was making drinks when he looked up, looked around, and ran for the stairs going down. Within seconds, the sky opened up in a torrential rainfall. There is a good cover on the deck so we stayed up there and watched the world go by.

Second day, we went to the Museum of the Douro in the morning. Good briefing on the history of the river and wine making. They have a very good museum store. After that we walked around town and got back to the boat for lunch.

That afternoon we had four options. First, a tour of the Mateus Palace then the special dinner at the quinta. Second, since it is harvest time, grape picking and stomping at the quinta followed by dinner. Third, cruise on the ship then dinner at the quinta, and fourth, stay on the ship and eat on the ship.

We chose the second option and I have to say it was the most fun tour we have taken on any of our nine Uniworld cruises. The owner/manager of the quinta kept the party moving and it was obvious he really liked what he was doing. We picked buckets of grapes and watched as other cruisers got in the huge stone vat to stomp grapes. Kept hoping that one would do a swan dive or a cannonball but none did. The quinta staff kept bringing out food and wine and more wine and everyone was in a good mood for dinner.

Dinner was pretty good but the best part was the accordion and drum band. They got people up and dancing -- hilarious!

Internet is a bit slow and unpredictable. Not a ship problem but a terrain problem. In some areas the slopes are steep and there is no line of site to the satellite.

I'll keep reviewing as I can, but this is a great trip so far. Ercilia has been super keeping things moving along.

Edited by fred111

Scenery in Portugal is beautiful. Green. Grape harvest time. Longest ride was today to Salamanca. 1 hr 45 min but well worth the trip. Other rides have been 10 min to 40 min with 10 to 20 the norm. Buses are large and comfortable. Roads are very narrow so slow driving.

Bus rides have not been a problem at all.

Went to Salamanca today. My favorite city in Spain. I've been here before so we didn't take the guided tour. I became the tour guide for a few of us. Saw the University, Cathedrals, old Roman Bridge and much more. Took friends to the official University book store for matriculation pins.

Ate at an outdoor restaurants and drank cokes in the Plaza Mayor. Great day overall.

Linked up with everyone else to see the Flamenco dancing/singing. Pretty good show. They had food, drinks, and pastry set up for everyone also. They would have had to roll me out if I ate any more.

One note of interest. Everyone was given 15 Euros cash to buy our own lunches in Salamanca. Great idea on Uniworld's part. Much better than a group lunch somewhere or a box lunch.

Portuguese dinner on the ship tonight then plenty of sleep!!!!

Our cruise is over and we are in Bayeux, France right now.

I will post a full review when I get back but there are a few things to say now.

We must have been on a different ship with a different crew than the people who were recently complaining. The cruise, staff, and everything involved with the cruise was outstanding. The chef prepared a lot of local foods, which is what we wanted. Dining room staff was extremely attentive, as were all the employees.

Both the Hotel Manager (Pedro) and the Dining Room Manager (Silvano) were everywhere, inspecting, working, and talking with the cruisers. The captain was terrific. He did not host a captain's table at the good bye dinner, instead he visited every table and spoke to everyone -- I like that better.

The cruise director (Ercilia) was a live wire. She was everywhere and kept everything moving. If Uniworld is watching this site, it is bonus time for her.

Most importantly, this cruise definitely lived up to Uniworld standards!!!

We are starting to re-do rivers and we will consider doing this cruise again.

Our cruise is over and we are in Bayeux, France right now.

I will post a full review when I get back but there are a few things to say now.

We must have been on a different ship with a different crew than the people who were recently complaining. The cruise, staff, and everything involved with the cruise was outstanding. The chef prepared a lot of local foods, which is what we wanted. Dining room staff was extremely attentive, as were all the employees.

Both the Hotel Manager (Pedro) and the Dining Room Manager (Silvano) were everywhere, inspecting, working, and talking with the cruisers. The captain was terrific. He did not host a captain's table at the good bye dinner, instead he visited every table and spoke to everyone -- I like that better.

The cruise director (Ercilia) was a live wire. She was everywhere and kept everything moving. If Uniworld is watching this site, it is bonus time for her.

Most importantly, this cruise definitely lived up to Uniworld standards!!!

We are starting to re-do rivers and we will consider doing this cruise again.

All we can say is "ditto". We were totally surprised when one person had so many complaints. This is probably our favorite cruise so far, although so far, we have never been disappointed. It was fun to re-live our cruise through your review!

Cole

I liked your write up also. It was very helpful in planning.

Biggest problem we had on the trip is flying from Porto to Paris on Easyjet. There is a tight weight limit on hold baggage and that limited my wife's shopping in Portugal. Good for me but bad for the Portugal GNP. By the way, Easyjet is a good way to get around Europe. Fast, clean, and professional.

I liked your write up also. It was very helpful in planning.

Biggest problem we had on the trip is flying from Porto to Paris on Easyjet. There is a tight weight limit on hold baggage and that limited my wife's shopping in Portugal. Good for me but bad for the Portugal GNP. By the way, Easyjet is a good way to get around Europe. Fast, clean, and professional.

I feel her pain! We flew from Porto to Madrid on TPA. European restrictions on weight sure does decrease our shopping and what clothing we can take with us. We were also pleased with TPA and would not think twice about using that airline again.

Cole

• 2 weeks later...

Fred, I am taking the Ama Douro cruise starting 10/10. Was the hop on hop off worth it, or did it cover a lot of the same things the half day city tour the cruise company does? I've been to Lisbon before (35 yrs ago on my honeymoon!), my friend hasn't (we're doing a girlfriends trip this time). I thought with our free day before the tour starts we'd go to Cascais/Estoril, as I remember enjoying that. Appreciate your input.

Could a recent passenger tell me which hotel Uniworld uses in Lisbon? We are going to extend an extra day or so there, so will need a hotel. Uniworld does no extension packages there, so I would like to check out if it's easier/less expensive to stay at the same hotel, or just plan on moving. Thanks!

We liked the hop on hop off bus. There are two or three different companies that run in Lisbon. We got to Lisbon a day early and taking the bus gave us a "lay of the land". There were overlaps but it gave us a chance to take pictures that we would have missed if we took the cruise lines tour only. I would take the hop on again if arriving in Lisbon early. I wouldn't if arriving the same day as the start of the tour.

Uniworld (and AMA) use the Tiara Park Atlantic. Nice hotel in a quiet location. If you book with the Tiara Park and let them know you are on a Uniworld cruise you will stay in the same room.

Weather was pretty good. They called for rain every day (like they do here) and it only rained one day other than our arrival day in Lisbon. The time it did rain it was only for twenty minutes or so. If you go to weather dot com and plug in Porto you will see long term weather reports. Check the percentage chance of rain. They usually say 20% so they are right if it rains or it doesn't. We didn't bring umbrellas. If it even hints at rain, every souvenir store will be selling cheap umbrellas.

Have fun on your cruises. The Douro is a great trip.

Fred, Appreciate the additional information. Weather.com shows 40-60% chance of rain most days on the Douro. Hope we have your experience instead, especially as everyone raves about the wonderful scenery. It will be great regardless!

I'll post a review when I return, if not along the way.

Cheers!