Butchart fireworks show was AMAZING

I am a big fan of fireworks, but one problem with fireworks is that they are all too similar to one another. Basically, you sit for 20 minutes or so, watch a bunch of pretty colors and booms in the sky, ending with a finale of a bunch of fireworks shot at once.

The Butchart Gardens fireworks are above and beyond that. It is without question the best fireworks show I've ever seen in my life, by a wide margin.

It's not just fireworks. It's pyrotechnics art.

First off, much of the show takes place with very professionally created pyrotechnics on the ground. It starts off a little slow and unspectacular, but ramps up to be amazing and impressive. It is perfectly choreographed.

When the fireworks do shoot in the sky, they are big, booming, and beautiful.

I cannot say enough good things about this show. It takes place every Saturday night in the summer, at no extra cost. This was the highlight of my 3-day Vancouver/Victoria visit in early August.

Here are some logistical suggestions:

1) Arrive at Butchart Gardens at about 2.5-3 hours before fireworks start, so you have time to view the gardens without feeling rushed. Note that the gardens will get increasingly crowded as fireworks time nears.

2) Do not bother with the expensive "Fireworks VIP Pass", for reasons I will describe below.

3) Understand the layout of Butchart Gardens so you can walk directly to the parking area without any confusion when it's over.

4) Go to the Fireworks area (near the back of the premises) about 30 minutes before the fireworks begin. Secure a spot on edge of the grass near the TOP of the hill. Your view of the fireworks will be fine. Do NOT go to the bottom of the hill, or you will have a nightmare getting out of the parking lot.

5) Right after the finale is over, pop up quickly and walk briskly (running is not necessary) to the parking area. Do not go to the bathroom or waste time with anything else.

You will beat about 95% or more of the other guests back to the parking area by doing the above, and will breeze out of the lot easily. Everyone else will be stuck waiting an hour or more to get out.

I did the above on a very crowded and popular night, and did not wait even one minute in post-show traffic.

I'm going to cut and paste your email to my son in law.

he built the frames and things on the ground (he's a welder) and he fuses the fireworks and installs them.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed them!

tomorrow is the last show of the season and i'll be there.

thank you for this.

I am also happy that the OP enjoyed the fireworks, they are spectacular. However, before a cruise ship passenger thinks about taking them in, it really is important to check the departure time of your ship. Butchart gardens is pretty much a 45 min. trip from the cruise terminal and many ships' skeds and the fireworks skeds just don't match up well.

I am also happy that the OP enjoyed the fireworks, they are spectacular. However, before a cruise ship passenger thinks about taking them in, it really is important to check the departure time of your ship. Butchart gardens is pretty much a 45 min. trip from the cruise terminal and many ships' skeds and the fireworks skeds just don't match up well.

which is a shame! its an expensive excursion and its too bad you can't enjoy it without feeling rushed. most of the ships dock at 6 or 7pm to midnight. that's not enough time. putterdude, you're right: ogden point to butchart is farther than most people think.

to the op, thank you again. my son-in-law was pleased. like most of us poor workers, he doesn't hear 'good job' nearly enough!

Nice to hear you enjoyed them, the last show of the season is about to start, I'll be going out on my deck and watching the free show!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app