Got bad news... Now what?

GuardLB

We (my grandma, aunt, mom and I) have a cruise booked in October. We just found out grandma has cancer. At this point we're trying to wait and see if her doctor say she can still go, but if we have to cancel what do we do?

I've already called Carnival and the representative told me if we cancel the whole reservation it is a $200 charge and if we cancel half (at this point mom and I will still go whatever the dr says) its a $100. But this changes after 9/22.

We purchased travel insurance, and the representative gave me the phone number for the company.

If anyone knows how this process works and what we can expect financially, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks!

Talk with the insurance company as each policy is a bit different.

Depending on the fare booked you could trade Grandma out for another pax for $50 up to day of sailing.

Do you have one or two cabins? It will make a difference for those sharing the cabin with her whether she cancels or no-shows.

So sorry to hear this about your grandma. I wish your family the best possible outcome.

Be aware that if all 4 of you are booked in one cabin that the fare for the other passengers in the cabin will likely increase if anyone is removed from the booking and the others cruise. If you are booked into 2 cabins, if one person doesn't go, you will have to deal with a solo supplement or rebook that solo into your cabin.

Edited by winddawn

I am not sure how to help you with your cruise dilemma but I wanted to say that I am so sorry for you and your family. That is terrible news. Praying your Grandma beats that horrible disease!

Edited by babsee101

Since you all have Trip Insurance and the Carnival rep gave you the number, it has to be their Berkeley Care VPP policy.

With that coverage, it doesn't matter what you do as far as full or partial cancellation. Any fees or penalties charged for cancelling, moving cabins or changing your sailing date are covered if caused by a documentable medical reason.

All you need to do is file a claim with Berkeley for the charges and you will be reimbursed.

Sorry to hear about you Grandma.

Thanks everyone for positive thoughts and prayers. She's been in remission for 10 years so here's hoping she can beat it again.

We are all in 1 cabin.

Yes AdGuyMG it is the Berkeley policy.

We should have answers in a couple of weeks, and we'll know whether to cancel or not.

We were in a similar situation a few months before my Dream cruise wedding. 9 of us were set to go in July. Found out in April my grandma had stage 2 breast cancer. They did a few biopsies before the cruise, but she waited to start radiation/chemo until after. She figured that would give her something exciting to keep her spirits up, and her doctor agreed the progression was slow so waiting wouldn't hurt. We got back on Saturday and she started that following Monday. 2+ years later, and all her scans still come back clean! :D