Just realised our stateroom below nightclub!

CapnQ

So, my partner & I have booked our first cruise in October, with HAL, on the Noordam and there is a good chance that we will be cruising with our 15 month old.

We've just realised that our room is on level 1, directly below the nightclub. We are concerned that the noise from the nightclub is going to be absolutely terrible for not only us, but getting our son to sleep (and staying that way).

Can anyone shed any light on this, and how bad we can expect it to be (and if we should be calling HAL now to try and move to a quieter room.)

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by CapnQ

I would move. I know the Prinsendam is not the same as the Noordam, but I met a very well-seasoned shipmate on the P-dam over the holidays who told me that he was upgraded to a cabin under the entertainment lounge and would never take such an upgrade again. It's not only the shows in the evening, but there are rehearsals during the day and sometimes after the last show at night. That is something to think about. And, yes, he did hear the vibration from the sound equipment.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam just a couple of weeks ago and were under BB Kings. We heard them 2-3 times a night except 2 where they didn't play - those nights were silent. There was only one night that was REALLY bad - I think there was a 400 lb person jumping above our cabin. Interestingly though, 1)we got used to it and were able to sleep, 2) it never really bothered our kids and 3) my parents, who were 1 cabin away from us, never heard it.

If you are worried, call and talk to HAL.

Let us know your results.

We were on the Noordam in February and were under the Galley in #1090. I was woken up several nights with lots of noise...pots banging, etc. Sounded like they were moving carts around on the floor. The folks on either side of us moved...I stuck it out until (because I'd complained and nothing was done about it, of course)...and was told there were no empty staterooms to move to.

We were on the stern last fall on the NA Med TA on Deck 4...whenever the crew sang "Happy Birthday" to a guest, I could hear it. The was rather funny and not annoying...however, this year, I moved up to Deck 5 on the stern!

I've learned that it really pays to look at the Deck plans.

I think the "bad" staterooms are filled by GTY's at the end.

Don't know what ship you are talking about.

But Northern Lights opens at 9 PM and till after midnight.

Queen's Lounge starts movies or shows around 8 and depending on what is in there, goes until 11 PM or 1 AM.

Just because they are open, doesn't mean there will be people in the clubs. :rolleyes:

Damn, was really hoping you'd all say "don't worry the soundproofing is amazing, you won't notice a thing."

Thanks for the advice all, I'll let you know how we go with customer services...

Just because they are open, doesn't mean there will be people in the clubs. :rolleyes:

The music is played -- hoping to attract people other than the few that may be there.

There are even pub crawls that end in the Northern Lights -- and many of them don't start until 9:30 and it takes a while to go from bar to bar.

How many actual cruise days do you have on HAL?

I am curious.

Indeed, the sad part of this is, that Northern Lights is almost empty. On my 3 cruises with HAL so far, on only 1 of those cruises was that venue visited frequently. And that was only because my colleagues and I meeted with a group of other very young cruisers (very young in HAL terms that is) we met at the beginning of our cruise. I think even the DJ was surprised he had that many people in there :-)

But yes, the music keeps going even if there's nobody inside. A little off-topic, but I think HAL should transform that into a more useful venue...

Indeed, the sad part of this is, that Northern Lights is almost empty. On my 3 cruises with HAL so far, on only 1 of those cruises was that venue visited frequently. And that was only because my colleagues and I meeted with a group of other very young cruisers (very young in HAL terms that is) we met at the beginning of our cruise. I think even the DJ was surprised he had that many people in there :-)

But yes, the music keeps going even if there's nobody inside. A little off-topic, but I think HAL should transform that into a more useful venue...

Very young...so mid 50’s:D?

I was in the Noordam rm.#4096, and it was a nightmare.... not meaning that I woke up from a nightmare, it was the drums under my room. AND to make it worse, they were playing with just one couple in there, so the musicians decided to practice their thing. Now...I LOVE music...I choose Holland because of music ventures... but after 9:30am they could choose to play more melodic music, Chacha... etc...I would have loved to go to sleep with such music! 3 times I went up there, (with my pajamas on) to complain. They couldn't care less, so I went to the reception and they sent someone, but it seemed like I had been the only one E-V-E-R to complain! So one day, I see the people next to me getting out of their room during the day, and I asked them if the loud music bothered them, and "it did" but they just chucked it up to "bad luck"! OMG!!!!:eek: So I prayed and guess what? the guy playing the drums (who was the worse culprit) got sick with the Neuro Virus.... "Hallelujah"! I've never been so happy having someone get sick. The three days that he didn't play I heard the rest of the musician's wonderful live music.:o

Hi All,

Well we ended up contacting HAL and were able to be moved to a quieter part of the ship (deck 6) which seems to be be perfect for us & a hopefully well sleeping child!

Really happy with the timeliness & helpfulness of the service given by HAL.

Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly from here on in!