Dinner roll change?

Ali-in-Texas

We just finished our cruise and one of the changes I noticed was the dinner rolls in the dining room. Last year on our cruise the waiter would come around with a basket of dinner rolls and there were 4 or 5 different kind of rolls to choose from.

This year there were only 2 types of rolls, a baguette slice and a bolillo shaped roll.

The waiter would set both on your bread plate.

Last years rolls were much better tasting. Kind of missed them.

When did they change?

Been that way since at least January. I agree I miss the variety. Years ago they had an sun roasted tomato and herb Italian style roll that was very good.. have not seen it since about 2009.

I am sure it is easier to just have the 2 styles. But it does detract a bit. I do like the YTD style of just placing the bread basket on the table. I like more than one roll and I don't like having to flag down a busy waiter when I want another roll. It disrupts their service and slows things down.

Must depend on the ship. Our last cruise on the Inspiration in May we got two bread baskets in ATD

One had a variety, including one that had seeds. (Didn't count how many varieties). The second basket was for DD who has a nut allergy. Her basket had those two types mentioned above.

(She could eat the other breads, but those are baked next to/near the cheese plates' walnut bread.)

Edited by SadieN

Been that way since at least January. I agree I miss the variety. Years ago they had an sun roasted tomato and herb Italian style roll that was very good.. have not seen it since about 2009.

I am sure it is easier to just have the 2 styles. But it does detract a bit. I do like the YTD style of just placing the bread basket on the table. I like more than one roll and I don't like having to flag down a busy waiter when I want another roll. It disrupts their service and slows things down.

I agree it is nice having a roll basket on the table; however, someone posted a while back that they got a roll basket that had obviously been served to someone else and not eaten. So that option comes with risks. Lol.

On our B2B last month, we got the "variety" basket during YTD on the first cruise and the hand-delivered plain white ones at early seating on the second. I have to say, when it comes to dinner rolls, my wife and I both prefer the plain white. So she played the "nut allergy" card on the first cruise and I was always stuck with the seedy bread. On the second cruise, we could both choose from the two varieties. That said, it wasn't a big deal.

It was the same type of rolls on the Sunshine last week. I usually get slices of rye bread, and was told that the rolls was all they had. When I requested if they could get rye, the waiter told me it wasn't on the dining room menu. I would have preferred the rye, but the roles were good as well.