Another ? regarding Ultimate Balcony Dinner

cruizinpooh

This may have been asked and answered previously. However, I just did a search, read every one of the posts and can't seem to find an answer to my question. So here it goes... When booking the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, are there specific times to choose from or can you just tell them a specific time that you'd rather have Dinner?

We are sailing in September and have finally decided to do this after departing one of the islands. We have visited all the ports many times and we decided to just kick back, relax on board and enjoy the pool while everyone else is on shore and also visit the Spa. We have booked the Rasul in the afternoon while still in port and we would like some time to shower and get ready before they start setting up. Since we live in Miami, we know how hot and humid the Caribbean can be, so we wouldn't want to dine when the sun is still out but would like to see some light. Perhaps, the sunset? Something other than just the pitch black sea.

Anyone who's done this before. Help! What time would you all recommend?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cruizinpooh

When I booked the Ultimate Balcony Dinner for my in-laws as a surprise (Grand - Greek Isles 25th July sailing) we were able to specify a time. We went for a 7 p.m. start. The ship was delayed in departing (which meant for the beginning the ship was stationary and they were in full sun), but in theory 7 p.m. meant the meal would have started shortly after sailaway. They were able to watch the sun setting etc. They ate at a leisurely pace, the waiters attentive to their every need and they didn't finish until about 9.15/9.30 p.m. It certainly proved to be a memorable evening for them... they didn't stop talking about it.

Laura

Laura, I thought I read that you had to book this while on the ship. Were you on-board with them? Or can these be booked on the web-site or by phone prior to the trip? I thought it would be a nice birthday gift for my in-laws.

Yes, I was onboard with them so it was easy to make the phone call to organise it as soon as we arrived. Obviously, because it was a surprise we had to decide on their behalf the time, menu (there is a choice between lobster or steak or a mix of both), alcoholic beverages etc. We also had to entice them out of their cabin for half-an-hour while they set up the table on the balcony etc. My husband arranged to meet them for pre-dinner drinks in the Wheelhouse Bar and I called them back to their room on the pretext that I had noticed that there was a problem with their door and it was wide open and I couldn't shut it properly. The look on their faces when they came back was a picture.

I suspect the only way you could do it from afar would be to find someone on their roll-call who would be willing to do it for you, if you paid them in advance etc. If someone agreed however they would need to bear in mind that that they would need to try and organise it as soon as they boarded and be around on the day (or day before) to meet with a head wait to discuss the menu, finalise arrangements etc. It would be a commitment from someone you don't know.

The alternative would be to credit $100 (plus, say, $20 for a tip) to your in-laws onboard account before they go (via the TA) and send them on vacation with a card with instructions on the envelope asking them not to open it until they have boarded the ship. Inside the card, you could write a message saying what you've done, asking them to make the booking for the Ultimate Balcony dinner.

I did something similar to this last year when I booked on my in-laws behalf a couple of tours. I told them about the bookings via a note inside a card. I credited their account in advance to cover the cost of those.

Laura

By far the best we have enjoyed is fresh turtle soup with barbecued shrimp and alligator tail along with a pile of boiled crawfish with seasoned potatoes and corn on the cob. Some fine eating. Best to have a few beers to wash it down with as it helps a lot also.

Oh sorry but that is at home and not on a cruise ship.

I'll probably post my overall comments on the crusie a little later, but I wanted to let people know my thoughts on this experience. We had a special anniversary on the ship, so I thought that this would be a nice touch. When we first got on the ship, about 1 o'clock in the afternoon, I made a call to the concierge to arrange. We were the first reservation, so I got to choose the date and time slot. We picked 7 o'clock, as the ship was leaving St. Thomas.

About 6:45, a waiter (Ignacio from the Phillipines) and assistant show up to make the plastic table into an elegant seating with a view to die for (we were on the port side, watching the island as we went to sea.) This was a great experience. The food (surf & turf) was a better cut and size from anything you would get in any dining room, including Sterlings. I could not finish the meal, there was so much food. The service was attentive, and the presentation was flawless. The waiters disappeared and returned

Incuded is one free picture, yet the photographer takes a few so that you can purchase more. I have seen a ton of pictures on this board that really give you visuals of the meal. In all, it was well worth the extra money, in my opinion. I would not do this on every cruise, but it did make for a very special experience. If you have questions, please feel free to post.

As I understand,if you are in a suite you can order anything off the dinner menu. My question is-would it still be worth the $100 to order the ultimate balcony dinner if I can already get lobster delivered to my cabin on the night they serve lobster?

I can guarantee that the lobster on the balcony is different than in the dining room. Being from New England, I have some experience in this. If I ventured a guess, the lobster in the dining room is a pair of 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounders, and they appear to be local lobsters, if I am correct. The balcony lobsters appear to be Maine Lobsters, and the tail portion is from about a 3 lb. lobster. It tasted delicious. Also, the filet mignon is made from a different cut of beef, and not available in any dining room.

If the question relates to value of the food vs. the cost, then I would go for the dining room. If the question relates to the overall experience, then I would go, at least once in my life, for the balcony.

Archived