Maybe we won't get off the ship!

elliair

We're leaving Sunday on the Imagination for Santa Catalina and Ensenada. I just read this about a threat for a terrorist attack on the Mexican border. I'm wondering what Carnival has in place to protect its ship(s). We have an excursion planned for a wine tasting in Ensenada which I am now thinking about cancelling. We also have another trip planned in October on Princess for Mexico - a 10 day one. I don't want to live my life in fear and I'm usually the one to say that 99% of the stuff we worry about never happens. This news sucks!

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/386694/judicial-watch-feds-bulletin-describes-threat-imminent-terrorist-attack-southern

Such a shame. I wouldn't miss the wine tour. It was one of the best parts of our trip on this cruise back in July. We stayed on the boat in Catalina.

I think these things have a tendency to be exaggerated rumors most of the time.

First, I would consider the source. It doesn't sound exactly like unbiased news. Second, if the anticipated "attack" is where they say it is going to be, then why would you worry, since you aren't going to be there. I was looking for the part in the article where it said they were going after tourist areas in port cities and didn't see it.

I wouldn't worry at all. National Review is notorious for reporting conspiracy theories as "news". Cruising is incredibly safe. Juarez has been a hotbed of violence for many years now, but because Americans don't tend to visit, it doesn't get much press. So yes, it is unsafe there in Juarez, particularly if you are Mexican. But it's hundreds of miles away from the tourist ports in Baja. You should be fine, and just relax and enjoy your trip!

Juarez is by El Paso, TX. As said above, that area has had issues for years.

No where near Ensenada which is 75 miles south of the border from San Diego.

The wine tour is nice. We enjoy the jams at Dona Lupe. The other wines we can get in the markets.

Don't worry about it..

something bad happens everyday everywhere.....just because something happens bad in California doesn't mean it is not safe to travel here....

If you stay on your tour or in the tourist areas of the Ensenada you should be safe... I was there twice this year I saw plenty of Police and never felt unsafe...

Edited by woodey

I don't want to live my life in fear and I'm usually the one to say that 99% of the stuff we worry about never happens.

And yet you were ready to cancel a nice excursion over an equivalent of a yellow-press editorial, which in turn quoted some made-up stuff from another non-news entity.

Juarez is a long way away from Ensenada.

Back in 2012, we had some my wive's family from UK cancel their trip to Florida because of the Colorado theater shooting. :rolleyes:

I didn't try too hard to talk them out of it... they were distant second cousins and were going to be staying with us for a few days before Orlando... :D

Don't worry about it..

something bad happens everyday everywhere.....just because something happens bad in California doesn't mean it is not safe to travel here....

If you stay on your tour or in the tourist areas of the Ensenada you should be safe... I was there twice this year I saw plenty of Police and never felt unsafe...

Just be careful of the sidewalks! The walk to and on the main tourist street is fine. But off it, beware! There are holes and uneven sidewalks all over the place.

I work 7 miles from the border in suburban San Diego. There is absolutely no news of any kind of terrorist threat here on our border. Ensenada is 775 miles from Juarez.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

Don't worry about it at all. I just got back from this trip and we had a blast both in Catalina and Ensenada.

We didn't book an excursion through the cruise line as it seemed to be to costly for what you were getting.

In Catalina we wanted to go snorkeling so we did. It didn't cost a penny either. Had a blast!

In Ensenada you will be picked up at the ship by buses and taken over to the shopping areas.

On those buses they offer all the same tours at much less price and are very careful to get you back to the ship in more then enough time.

You will be on the same tour as the people on the ship only you will have paid much much less.

We did a city tour and our guide was Jesus. He was wonderful. So full of knowledge and was great about telling us where to shop and which streets/locations to stay away from that were not safe. Not that they would kill you there but that you could end up getting drunk and end up back at the ship with tattoos and teeth missing. But he was making a joke about that. They were more places that had topless/nude bars and things like that.

They were not taking anyone to the blowhole as they were having some kind of protesting going on up there and they didn't feel it was safe to bring tourist to.

But as far as running into anyone that didn't seem safe we had no problems with that. Everyone was super friendly there and very helpful.

So my advice is to get off the ship and have a great time.

Dang I was going to California but not sure since I heard there was a shooting in. Chicago.

Just did a week in Mexico and couldn't wait to book another week as soon as I got home. I felt very safe compared to the US and many islands I have visited.

Juarez is by El Paso, TX. As said above, that area has had issues for years.

No where near Ensenada which is 75 miles south of the border from San Diego.

The wine tour is nice. We enjoy the jams at Dona Lupe. The other wines we can get in the markets.

+2, my wife and I.

We both loved the wine tour and all the goods we brought back. Including the jam.

To the OP:

Don't miss the wine tour. Have fun!!

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

Edited by losijon