flying from Manchester to Genoa

meeann

Hi I wonder if anyone could tell me if it is worth paying for the Escape lounge in Manchester airport. I know when we flew out of Manchester in July it took us almost 1 hr just to get through customs - and we only had carry on baggage! But on the cruise we will have to check in our luggage and then go to security, we would most probably use the fast lane but I don't see the point of paying for the lounge if we only get a short time in there. Can anyone help? Also anyone know what the road works are like around the airport, as I've heard they are worse than in July - we fly 1st October. Many thanks in advance :)

We always use the Escape Lounge at Manchester when we are able to check-in/drop-off at least 3 hours before the flight departs. That way we can make the most of the facilities as it gives us approx 2 hours in the lounge We don't bother if we would have an hour or less once through security but that is just our way. We like the quiet area, included food and drinks, newspapers, wifi etc but need to justify the cost.

I'm sorry that I can't help with road works info as the situation changes almost daily. We travel up the M6 to the airport (50 mins on a good run) and use off site parking with shuttle transport to the terminal so we always leave home at least 2 hours before check-in starts. Sadly, I'm a bit obsessive about getting to the airport and would much rather be too early than late......lol!
Have a great time.

We went to Manchester on the 13th August and had an early flight, we had a 20 minute detour for road closure / roadworks, but once in the airport checked in and then waited a good while to get through the security checks, this was roughly 3.30am.
However speaking to plenty of other people on the boat they had an awful time getting through the security checks that they had to run to the gates, some spoke of queuing for nearly 2 hours.
I guess it all depends what time your flight is, but do expect some delay. We also had to queue 45 mins having landed back home to go through passport control, not a fan of Manchester airport I am afraid.

I have to agree - the queues for security are beyond ridiculous :(

We had an early morning check in earlier this month, and it took us 1 3/4 hours to get through security - the queue was the normal zig zag, back long the full length of the departures hall, out of the auto doors, into the car park, and onto the stairs of the car park :eek: I kid you not, there were very, very many angry people that morning!

We had similar last October, so sadly, I don't think the time of year had an awful lot to do with it. Manchester really need to up their game with this issue - surely someone, somewhere must be looking at their figures, and wondering why their takings are down in duty free, cafes, bars etc.

We just had time to get through, and literally run to the gate.

Madness

Lou

Thanks for all your replies, we've just booked airport hotel/parking (only 10 mins from airport - so hopefully shouldn't get caught in traffic jams and can get up an hour and half later than if travelling from home) and also booked the fast lane. Going to leave the escape lounge as even with the fast lane, I don't think it would be worth it. We are flying out at 8.25am so think that there would be quite a queue by this time, even using the fast lane! Manchester needs to get this sorted! Approx how long does it take to drop our bags off at check in - haven't done this for a while as only need to take hand luggage to parents house abroad.

Hi. I wouldn't bother with the escape lounge at that time in morning. We always use it but only when our flights later in the day (11am onwards) just buy the fast pass for security. The flight is only a couple of hours then its a straight run to cruise ship without having to collect luggage at genoa. You'll be on deck within a hour of plane landing(we were) enjoy .

Re security at Manchester. We went on holiday on the 30th July and used the 'fast lane' to get through security. I think it cost us about £3.50 each and was the best money we spent on holiday as we by-passed nearly all of the queues.

We found it on Manchester Airport's web-site and paid on-line. Then we printed off the 'ticket' and showed it when we got to the entrance to security.

:)

[quote name='meeann']Thanks for that - we booked the fast lane at the same time as booking hotel/parking for the week and got a good deal. Getting excited now....just over 4 weeks :-)[/QUOTE]

You won't regret it, have a great time. :)

[quote name='Presto2']Re security at Manchester. We went on holiday on the 30th July and used the 'fast lane' to get through security. I think it cost us about £3.50 each and was the best money we spent on holiday as we by-passed nearly all of the queues.

We found it on Manchester Airport's web-site and paid on-line. Then we printed off the 'ticket' and showed it when we got to the entrance to security.

:)[/QUOTE]

Good tip, thanks. Do we need to print the boarding pass in advance. We did this once (we really don't fly very often) and thought we could avoid the queue for check in, but were told we still had to check in as usual so it seemed pointless.

I am really not looking forward to Manchester Airport at 2am.

David.

[quote name='balf']Good tip, thanks. Do we need to print the boarding pass in advance. We did this once (we really don't fly very often) and thought we could avoid the queue for check in, but were told we still had to check in as usual so it seemed pointless.

I am really not looking forward to Manchester Airport at 2am.

David.[/QUOTE]

We did on line check in - printed out the boarding pass and took it, with the luggage to the baggage drop. The queue was long but they kept it going. It may seem like a waste of time but it is quicker. We had a separate pass for the 'fast lane' we'd had to print off and had to show that when we got to the entrance to security sign posted the 'fast lane'. The link for this is on Manchester Airport's website.

This was the first week of the school holidays for us, so pretty manic so I am sure that it will be calmer for you.

Remember that any electrical stuff you have will need to be emptied out at security to go through the scans. We just put everything in the hand luggage, made sure it was fully charged and there was no problem.

Who are you flying with and from what terminal?

We like Manchester and always like flying from there.

:) Edited by Presto2