use of safe

Paying for a safe is a typical 'that airline' money making scam and IMO, just cheapens Thomsons image.

Some people don't bother with the safe or buy a travel safe instead, however!

Check out your travel insurance, there may be a clause that says that if you wish to make a claim for stolen/missing items that claim will only be allowed if you used a safe, if one is provided. In other words, if you used your own travel safe rather than the provided one the claim will be rejected.

We've never had a safe - based on the fact that the stewards are the only others that have access to your cabin.

That is not strictly true - if you report an issue to reception - eg electrical or plumbing then someone from the department will come and fix it ( or try to ) whether you are in or not.

Like you we never bother with a safe but passports etc are well packed away at the bottom of the case which is locked and under the bed.

I've always paid to use the safe. I'm pleased to read that Dream have reverted to charging £25 for 2 weeks as on 23rd Feb 2014 we were charged £30 and when I questioned them why, they said it had just gone up!

On the 3 night cruise to Amsterdam I just locked my valuables in my case and trusted the lovely two stewards.

On the six Thomson cruises we've taken we never paid for the safe. However, I always carried our passports and currency notes with me. Nothing locked in the cases under the bed went missing.

That said I doubt we'll use Thomson again, we're late bookers and had really good deals on those cruises but now find other lines have better late deals and, wow, provide "free" safes.

Charging for use of a safe is actually a joke, isn't it, especially now the fares are not as budget as they once were.

Do you mean cruise charters for P&O etc. or for their own cruises?

tbh baggers I dont know about the cruise charters (p&o or thoms?):confused: I reckon that if they are offering a free open bar on long haul.....then they should be offering a free open bar on ‘all’ long haul (scheduled or chartered)...... time will tell

maybe thoms social media team will spot this and come in and tell us?

Thanks, Baggers. I missed that one. Good for you, Thomson :)

You're welcome. I only found it last week after digging around the Thomson site to find it, as wanted to know what was included.

It's nice that they're getting a bit innovative, but maybe more to do with the anouncement yesterday that they're also selling flights with other airlines as part of their packages? When it comes to long haul, the majority of airlines include drinks as standard so customers would have probably chosen other flights over Thomson Airways?!?

It definitely includes flights to join Thomson Cruises as it's promoted on every Caribbean page in their latest brochure, but whether it includes P&O charters I don't know!

You're welcome. I only found it last week after digging around the Thomson site to find it, as wanted to know what was included.

It's nice that they're getting a bit innovative, but maybe more to do with the anouncement yesterday that they're also selling flights with other airlines as part of their packages? When it comes to long haul, the majority of airlines include drinks as standard so customers would have probably chosen other flights over Thomson Airways?!?

It definitely includes flights to join Thomson Cruises as it's promoted on every Caribbean page in their latest brochure, but whether it includes P&O charters I don't know!

Good news, Baggers. I am very happy with that :)

I think you are right about the competition. We are having to fly from Manchester for our Celebration cruise in the Caribbean but could fly from our local airport with P&O for much less than we are paying Thomson and could have steak without having to pay £10 extra!

Perhaps the new CEO will scrap charges for safes too ;)

Edited by Little Nell