Western or Eastern 7 day Caribbean on Splendor out of Miami, which would you choose?

yamsi12

Looking at both of those. Never sailed the Caribbean before or been to any of the ports.

Western ports are Cozumel, Belize, Mohogany Bay and Grand Cayman

Eastern ports are Half Moon Kay, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk

which itinerary would you choose and why? Pros and Cons of the ports would be appreciated if you have any.

I would choose Eastern because I love Grand Turk and HMC (if the weather permits). These two ports were perfect beach days for us. San Juan is okay. I've never been to St. Thomas. My ship called St. Maarten which is very nice.

I like Grand Cayman on the western and want to visit Cozumel and Mohogany Bay in future cruise but I am not interested in Belize (too many negative reviews).

Edited by tdk1938

Honestly because I have never been to those ports.

Western is nice. I liked Belize, Roaton and Grand Caymen. Cozumel is a been there done that.

Belize is nice if you go to the coral reef. Roaton is great scenery, and makes you forget you are in Honduras. Grand Caymen has great beaches and it's cliche, but swimming with the sting-rays is wonderful.

But I would choose eastern.

I've done both but not on the splendor. Either one you choose is great. I loved the Western so much that I booked same itinerary for this December.

Eastern has Grand Turk which had a gorgeous beach (Govenor's beach...turquoise water and white sand) 10 minute walk from the port which was free to enter and had a bar and snorkel equip for rent. It also has a huge pool, bars, flowrider and shops within the port area that looked nice. St Thomas also has lots to do near the port, coki beach and others are a fairly cheap taxi ride away..st Thomas is very lush and beautiful and has the cheapest alcohol I've ever seen at a port. San Juan is gorgeous with a European feel and cobblestone streets. It has great shopping.

Western was my favourite as all ports were water intensive...I love snorkeling and great beaches. In Belize I head to Caye Caulker(great snorkeling)...Belize often gets a bad wrap but I think the key is to make sure you book an excursion before you get there. There is nothing around the port for tourists to do, it really just is the main part of town for locals. Roatan is lush and beautiful...VIctor Bodden offers great tours. Grand Cayman has probably the most beautiful water I've seen and swimming with rays is a great way to spend the day. Cozumel is my least favourite port (besides Nassau) but can be fun and relaxing if you choose one of the all inclusive beach packages (Mr Sanchos ect) We also have done the dune buggies which was fun.

Sorry it was long....which ever one you choose I'm sure it will be absolutely amazing....have fun!!!

Hello. I have been on the eastern one last year on the Dream ship. The ship is absolutely beautiful. All stops we're great. My favorite stop was St. Thomas. It was so picturesque. I'm going on the west cruise out of Miami in early Jan. I say look at the each place and see what really interests you. I'm all about giving each port a try and if you don't like it so be it. I'm over the Bahamas since I have been so much so next time I will shoot for southern Caribbean. Good luck and have fun!

Are the prices similar? If yes, I would do the Eastern route. The Eastern route generally runs more expensive than the western route and if you can get it at a good price I would go with that. It seems like the Western route is always at a reasonable price.

I have done both eastern and western, and at the end of the day You are on a ship! :) If you decide to go eastern, I would suggest you spend the money for the faster to the fun, Only because the tender process for HMC is seriously slow! There are only three tender boats and both times I have been to the island it took two hours each time to disembark! St. Thomas is pretty cool and beautiful! Grand Turk is not one of those gotta see Islands. I also think that the water is a little rougher on the eastern leg ( I like feeling the ship move ) But I honestly think the best value is the Western leg! For me the water around Roatan and Cozumel is the clearest I have seen! Grand Cayman is about exciting as Grand Turk just a lot more options for excursions! Roatan is a beautiful island that is worth seeing! Belize was less than stellar for me! I did a sight seeing tour of Belize city and having done that, I don't think I need to do it again. However, My sister did a beach break when she went to Belize and said that the little island they where ferried to was a treasure! I will be sailing the western Itinerary again in December and can tell you that when I was comparing cost and value, it was the better deal!

I have done both itineraries a number of times. I would pick the western route. Belize has Cave Tubing, Mayan Ruins, Fantastic snorkeling (second largest barrier reef in the world), and great beaches. As a previous person said, make sure you have an excursion.

Grand Cayman has Seven Mile Beach, which is a short taxi ride away, and outstanding snorkeling. Seven Mile Beach is rated very highly.

Cozumel has Mayan Ruins (on the mainland) great beaches (taxi ride required) and very good snorkeling.

Roatan is the most picturesque island in this itinerary; Boden's tours are very reasonably priced and lots of fun. There is a beach within walking distance with free chairs and lots of shade (or sun, if you prefer.)

The other itinerary is also very good, especially if you want lots of great beaches. Old San Juan is also very nice.

I have done both of these routes and I prefer the Eastern route. We are booked on the Splendor in Jan. for the Eastern route. Love Grand Turk and looking forward to HMC. Belize is nothing special and after being to Cozumel and Grand Cayman twice I will stick to the East.