Celebrating Christmas on board NCL Gem...need ideas

Mom2B&Z

We are taking our boys (9&7yrs) on the Christmas/New Years sailing of the Gem this year. Both boys still believe in Santa, and we love this tradition in our family. They know there will be no tree in our cabin, but I have agreed to bring everyone's stocking to be hung by the...balcony? Lol!

My current plan is to fill each stocking with the usual treats, pjs, socks etc. They have each asked for an iPad mini, which would be there only gift "under the tree". Santa will still show up and fill the stockings and out their gift out...somewhere? Any other ideas on how to make this special? They know it's going to be different, so I'm not trying to recreate what we do at home, but I thought it might be fun to try something a bit different...I just don't know what that is right now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you flying to this cruise or driving to the port? When I lived in NYC after college, I lived in a 180 square foot rent controlled "studioette" ( a studio technically needs to have an oven, which my tiny apartment lacked). At christmastime I'd buy a tiny Xmas tree a little bigger than a houseplant that could fit on my desk. If you are driving to port, you could buy a tiny tree and leave it in your room so you have something to put the gifts under. I bought a real tree in the supermarket, but you can also buy something like this if you think you can transport it: http://www.amazon.com/Darice-DS-6359-18-Inch-Canadian-Tree/dp/B004AH5FAY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409447404&sr=8-1&keywords=tiny+christmas+tree

My son likes having a small tree to decorate himself, so your kids might actually like a tiny tree.

We are driving, my car isn't huge (Camry) but a houseplant sized Christmas tree is do-able. Maybe one ornament for each person lol?!? I'm hoping to fit all of Christmas into one rolling carry on, decorations and gifts included. DH and I are giving each other the cruise for Christmas, so it's really just gifts for the kids and stockings for 4.

I can't believe you lived in a 180 soft apartment! My sister had a 550sqft condo in Toronto after university and I couldn't imagine living in it! Our house is on 2 acres in the country :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We brought garland and decorated the mirror for Christmas. Our twin DDs were 7 years old and Santa did make it on the ship. He brought them some jewelry and Nintendo DSs. For years the Elves have brought PJs on Christmas Eve and surprisingly they too made the trip to the Caribbean for our daughters. Brand new nightgowns appeared with the towel animals when we arrived back in the cabin.

Depending upon when Christmas falls on the cruise - it can be more challenging to pack things away. For us it was the 2nd day and gifts were part of the wardrobe planned for the cruise. New dresses, hair bows, jewelry, nail polish and a few gift cards for returning home. In our case Santa got a little confused with some of the larger gifts and still left them at home by the fireplace!! A friend who checked on the house certainly did a great job. So our arrival home included a second Christmas.

The ship did a great job with the kids and we are very excited about doing it again this year on the Eclipse. ENJOY

What if you get christmas decorations from the dollar store or something and decorate the cabin quickly before they get in? have your husband keep them busy while you volunteer to "unpack". get a tree decoration that can hang on the wall and some christmas magnets - the walls are magnetic so that can hold up decorations. put the tree "over" the little coffee table in the cabin (push it next to a wall) and put the gifts on that for them to wake up to.

Don't forget to get milk and cookies for Santa - and maybe see if your waiter can scare up some carrots for the reindeer (catching up with a ship, is not easy work)!

Reindeer antlers, elf hats or santa hats to wear on Christmas Eve day can also make things very festive.