magic in March

Hi,

I am sailing on Magic, 22nd March 2015, western carribean, with my boyfriend. Only our 3rd cruise & we have never been to Carribean before.Also first time on Carnival.

Does anyone have any tips on what type of weather to expect, & best things to do in ports of call. Cayman, Cozmel & Jamaica. We are matured couple in our late 50's, not really interested in sight seeing, enjoy beach activities, eating & drinking.

Any tips on the ship & what to expect. Looking forward to the food choices & entertainnent on this ship, seems loads more than QE2 & R.C. Splendour.

Thanks Jan.

From my experience it has been dry and hot in March for the places you have listed.

I've not been on the Magic, so cannot comment.

As for activities, look up all-inclusive resorts for Cozumel. You can get a taxi to the beach and eat/drink all day with access to lovely beaches. I like both Mr Sanchos and Nachi cocom (The second choice is probably more your pace from what you've said)

For the Caymans, try 7 mile beach or go on a boat tour and swim, I know you're not interested in sightseeing, but some of the boat tours will be a few hours with lunch and drinks, a nice day by itself.

March 22nd in Houston should be warm (80's F) as will the three ports you mentioned. Be forewarned that the two airports are a long way from Galveston and the ship port. You probably will be flying into Intercontinental (IAH) which is 71 miles north of the port. Plan accordingly.

Cozumel has many activities available with most being beach time, snorkeling and diving. The water is very clear and the coral is beautiful. You can either take a ship's tour or just grab a taxi to the beach or central plaza. If you like to shop this is a good place to do it. The island of Cozumel is rather small. This port tends to be heavily visited this time of year with as many as 9 ships in port and 20,000 passengers or more. Expect a lot of crowds.

Grand Cayman is a tender port with a 20 minute or so tender ride. For beach lovers there is 7 mile beach easily accessed by taxi or even city bus. They also offer a snorkel trip to swim with the sting rays which is quite popular. Diving is popular as is snorkeling on the island which is very flat and only a few feet above sea level. If the sea is rough, this port is sometimes passed.

Jamaica is the prettiest and most dangerous island in the Caribbean. Drugs are readily available everywhere and illegal so pass them by. Everyone goes either to the falls or to the beach. There are many tours available such as plantation visits etc. You want to stay in the tourist areas and with a larger group to be safe. The Jamaicans are very aggressive in selling things both in the shops and on the streets/beaches. They don't take no for an answer!

Weather in the Caribbean will be in the 70's to 80's F so warm weather clothing is what to wear. It can rain in short squalls so some rain protection might be nice but probably will not be needed.

The 7 mile beach sounds good from reviews I Have read on here, Also fancy the falls, but not sure as there seems to be quite a lot of travelling to get there.

We are flying into Houston IAH, but have friends in Houston so staying with them for a week , & they also have a house on the beach in Galveston so they are taking us down there for a few days aswell.

Thanks for the swift information, every bit helps in planning.Cant wait now. Xxxx

We did this exact same itinerary in April on the Magic. You're going to have a great time! I highly recommend Hilton Rose Hall in Montego Bay, and Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. AWESOME beaches, and all inclusive, meaning drinks and food are included. Feel free to check out my review (link in my signature) for pictures of these places. Have a great cruise! :)