MSC Magnifica picture heavy fun review -- 12 days British Isles incl. DIY port trips

Kreuzfahrtneuling

Ben A’an (post two of four)

15704299358_c019142913_b.jpg

The trail looked much like a prehistoric jungle sometimes.

15704266908_1bfe76b785_o.jpg

I was surprised about the abundance of water so high up.

I absolutely LOVE waterfalls. No matter how big or small.

15269510594_abac4140d4_b.jpg

15272147283_d11cb63fc2_b.jpg

Even further up, when the trees got less and less, you still had little streams flowing by, right next to the path.

15889776371_132522a508_o.jpg

And not to forget the much larger bodies of water…

15891635565_7d4ef3a011_b.jpg

the view of Loch Achray got better and better, the higher you climbed.

Stay tuned!

Stef

Ben A’an (post three of four)

The abundance of water also led to the muddy conditions on some stretches of the path. Thankfully most of the time, there was some sort of “bridge” around to use.

15891759745_062916d35a_b.jpg

Lol – over some of the swampy stretches this was the only possible way to pass at all.

15889764091_458dc0501b_b.jpg

Now I knew why that dog on the parking lot was all muddy.

When we were at one of the REALLY swampy stretches, we saw this cute little dog … looked like a Border Terrier, just a bit taller, who didn’t find a suitable bridge to cross the swampy stretch. He took a couple of unsure steps …and slurp…down he went …

...no worries … not all the way…but he was as deep as his stomach. Looked like he was somehow swimming in the ground.

Since he couldn’t move anything but head and tail anymore, he patiently waited for his people to come rescue him. He really wasn’t panicky or even upset … gosh, does this happen to Scottish dogs regularly?

Anyway, his people came back hopping over the swamp with incredible elegance and surefootedness and pulled the poor doggie out. I swear, the slurpy sound made me laugh out loud! They then held the totally filthy dog outstretched and hopped (almost danced) over the swamp with him once again. Back on solid ground, the little guy shook, wagged his tail and off they went.

Lol – Tarik thought this hike was THE best. Tanja said she’s too old for such a “typically male survival outdoor trip”. For her it felt more like a mix between obstacle course and boot camp. When we got almost to the top of the tree line, the continuing trail looked like this:

15889742091_48bf37f30d_b.jpg

See the tiny people climbing down way up there? This was the point, where Tanja went on strike. She wasn’t grumpy … just exhausted. She said she refuses to hike any further and offered us, we should continue ourselves… she would sit here and wait for our return. It was a light plateau and there were three big rocks there… quite comfortable… I’ve read that lots of people rest and have picknicks here.

So it was down to two people trying to reach the summit.

This is the view from Tanja’s outdoor waiting lounge:

15889732801_291fa2fd08_b.jpg

While she was waiting, she made contact with the local wildlife… no cute little furry animals, but these tiny, striped insects.

15705952037_7146c3cae0_b.jpg

There were many of them and they seemed to love human flesh. It hurt when they bit … and I still don’t know how Tanja was able to shoot this “most wanted” picture, while they were busy biting her. Does anybody know what these are? The bites looked harmless at first, but got bigger and bigger the next couple of days. All three of us had at least 8 weeks (and I swear I’m not exaggerating!) of trouble with them!

Nasty little buggers.

Stay tuned!

Stef

Looks like a midge (or commonly referred to as a midgie):

http://treesforlife.org.uk/forest/species-profiles/highland-biting-midge/

They are b****rs in Scotland! We lived in Scotland for a few years, and they love cool, damp conditions, so my poor mum got eaten alive by them constantly. Me and my Dad? Barely a bite between us! Rumour has it that they don't like vitamin B12, which is an ingredient of Marmite, which both Dad and I love... alternatively I wonder whether it's particular blood groups they sniff out. Mum is O- and Dad and I are both A+...

Still loving your report Stef - I've hopped on over from the RCCL boards especially, as I followed your Serenade review religiously! (I do apologise for the British "summertime" you had... honestly, it doesn't ALWAYS rain here!!)

Edited by Shelley61

Looks like a midge (or commonly referred to as a midgie):

http://treesforlife.org.uk/forest/species-profiles/highland-biting-midge/

They are b****rs in Scotland! We lived in Scotland for a few years, and they love cool, damp conditions, so my poor mum got eaten alive by them constantly. Me and my Dad? Barely a bite between us! Rumour has it that they don't like vitamin B12, which is an ingredient of Marmite, which both Dad and I love... alternatively I wonder whether it's particular blood groups they sniff out. Mum is O- and Dad and I are both A+...

Still loving your report Stef - I've hopped on over from the RCCL boards especially, as I followed your Serenade review religiously! (I do apologise for the British "summertime" you had... honestly, it doesn't ALWAYS rain here!!)

Thank you so much for clearing up this mystery! That's them! You nailed them! Whoohoo!. And maybe there is a blood group connection afterall. Tanja is O pos. and I am O neg. We have no clue about Tarik ... but the bugs liked him just as much as us ... so maybe another O :).

I have never heard of Marmite and have absolutely no idea what it tastes like or if we have a German equivalent. Maggi perhaps? I really don't know.

No worries about the weather ... I think we were pretty lucky after all. Only got completely drenched once ... and that was back on the continent in Amsterdam:D.

:pThanks again for the info on the Highland midges and the term "religiously" lol now I feel like some weirdo preacher man ... wait woman ... I dunno, but I had fun reading it. Glad you liked the Serenade review! I'm already on page 29 ... so 3 pages further than that review took...sigh and there is still Dublin coming our way pretty fast now.

Stef

Just dropping by to say hi ( as you know from my own review) that i've been missing for a while ( had something much less fun than a review to write!) Have had a quick read through your review and I just wanted to say that some of your pictures took my breath away. So beautifully captured. Thank you so much.

Ben A’an (last post)

Where was I? Oh, yes, we had left Tanja on the plateau and Tarik and I continued on our way towards the summit.

15891063752_b0bf766e24_b.jpg

Damn, this was getting steeper and steeper.

But the views of Loch Achray got better.

15704204028_72c8bd61dc_b.jpg

And we absolutely adored these purple hills above the tree line.

15704192318_d0c2967d7e_b.jpg

Did I mention, we were bathed in sweat already?

No?

Well, we were… but we seemed to be the only ones.

We had Scots passing us on our way up and Scots coming down from above, equally skipping and hopping merrily along. Even small kids, boys and girls with shoes I wouldn’t even let them do their PE lessons in, gave us looks somewhere between amusement and pity. We were a mess –well mainly I was the mess, and I really don’t get it – I really don’t think I’m the unfittest person on this planet…okay, I don’t run marathons … but I can run 3 – 5 miles without collapsing, so I think I’m doing good …at least I THOUGHT so until this hiking day in Scotland.

Now I know better. When a Scot tells you some hike is easy ---
DO NOT BELIEVE HIM!!!
It surely might be a breeze for them --- heck, even their wee children and dogs, but you (unless you are a greek god), will fail! So that’s my believe and I’m sticking to it!

A little further than the spot Tarik is standing at in the picture above, it happened.

My world started to twirl in my head and I was covered in cold sweat.

Crap, crap, crap!

For once I didn’t take a backpack with water in it (remember, we expected an “easy” hike). My circulatory system refused to keep on working correctly. I needed to sit down … right away, if I didn’t mean to faint right here and there and tumble down the steep path like a sack.

It dawned on me that I wouldn’t see Loch Katrin afterall.

Down to one 14 year old person, who was still good to go.

But I just
couldn’t
let him continue on his own. I feel so bad. He really loved this hike and it couldn’t have been much further to the summit. He really would have deserved to see it…but after what happened at Mount Vesuvius the year before … let’s just say, although I felt bad for him and guilty for screwing it up, there was no way I’d let him venture further alone.

Would he be mad?

Sad?

Upset?

None of the above!

When I called out to him (he was already a bit ahead), he turned around and saw that I had a problem (obviously, since I sat right in the middle of the trail with my head leaning against a higher up rock). He came hopping back down (almost like a Scot – I was so proud) to check on me. He was caring and reassuring, but not pushy or disappointed at all. Sniff. My baby! He sat down next to me and we hung out there for a while, no clue how long it really was, until I could see somewhat straight again. I was so proud of how he handled the situation.

15704363750_5b8bafb63d_b.jpg

This is the spot where I sat and officially gave up to climb to the summit of Ben A’an --- for today that is… Tarik and I are determined to return one day to start a second attempt (with more time and plenty of fluids). Tanja however is as determined as us, lol -- to never set foot on this trail ever again.

Climbing down was also quite the task. I was so tempted to drink some water from the little creek beside the trail. Tanja didn’t want me to, but heck the way I saw it, it was to decide between certain fainting and maybe later diarrhea.

I chose the “not-fainting-now-on-a-Scottish-hill” option.

Before we came to Scotland I had read that you should try two drinks in Scotland…Whisky and fresh water. Both were supposed to be superb. Well, we don’t do whisky, but I had planned to taste the water. Grudgingly I had complied to NOT do so, because Tanja drew the worst pictures of me, remaining in the cabin restroom sick for the remainder of the cruise, if I should be so stupid to try it.

Heck, this was an emergency situation, Tanja was still way below us waiting. Grinning like a little kid, I leaned down to gobble down the freh, cold water with cupped hands. It was wonderful! Better than any cocktail, better than the best food of the whole cruise (which we actually had off the boat in Dublin) – sheer delight. I was in water-heaven. For the rest of the day however, I kept listening to my abdomen, in fear that it could decide that this was a dumb idea afterall…. But it all worked out! Not to say it always will…if you wanna try it too, I guess you always have to embrace the possible nasty consequences as well.

Anyway, refreshed by the water, we headed back down to meet Tanja.

15705915307_b4ca75d33a_b.jpg

Sigh, even little Scottish kids were waiting patiently and politely, while we awkwardly crawled our way down.

We made it!

15704150218_a77dcf3eb1_b.jpg

Back at the parking lot, this bench was more than welcome. We are in no physical state (well, maybe Tarik is) to hike with Scots. We know that now. And hopefully I’ve warned all of you to an extent, that you really at least will be so smart to take some water along, if you should be willing to take up that challenge none the less.

Stay tuned!

Stef

that i've been missing for a while ( had something much less fun than a review to write!) .

Cath!

Good to hear you're still alive! Maybe you should post that on YOUR review as well, so the rest of your followers stop worrying.

I really hope this "writing" of yours is nothing serious...

taxes? I don't want to picture you in jail because of tax fraud

inheritances? I don't want to picture you crying at a funeral either

what's going on? Are you and Grrrr ;) doing okay? Are the doggies okay? Aaargh, talk to me!

Stef

:eek::(:eek::(:eek:Oh Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just researching some stuff about Hamish, the famous Highland bull, whome the next post will be dedicated to, and I have read that he just passed away a couple of days ago. Howl! Noooooo!!!!!!

Gulp. I will still post about our visit. Take it as a memoriam if you wish. So glad we still got to see him. And sorry for all of you who didn't have the opportunity yet. Rest in peace big guy!

Stef

Oh and i've never even seen those guinness crisps around here !

Okay....it's official! The Guinness Crisps are for the tourist!

I'm with Stef, Cath, get to posting....something!

As for Stef, those pictures of the climb are spectacular. They actually remind me of some of the wilderness areas in the Pacific Northwest, with the rocks, trees, ferns and lakes!

But I did get a chuckle from the German telling us the Scots are fabulous climbers and hikers. That is my impression of the Germans!!! I have no hope of making this climb.

Cath!

Good to hear you're still alive! Maybe you should post that on YOUR review as well, so the rest of your followers stop worrying.

I really hope this "writing" of yours is nothing serious...

taxes? I don't want to picture you in jail because of tax fraud

inheritances? I don't want to picture you crying at a funeral either

what's going on? Are you and Grrrr ;) doing okay? Are the doggies okay? Aaargh, talk to me!

Stef

Hahaha no taxes and not even a funeral - a psychology paper - not very interesting ( well ok kinda interesting but not interesting like this report).

Thank you very much for your concern, everyone is very well here, especially doggies :D Hope your doggies are good too ( and not to mention your lovely family)

I can't believe that Hamish has died, I loved him, what will his girlfriend Heather do ? Did you see her also ? I look forward to your next post, i'm sure it will be a fitting tribute :eek:

But I did get a chuckle from the German telling us the Scots are fabulous climbers and hikers. That is my impression of the Germans!!! I have no hope of making this climb.

lol -- we felt like great hikers the year before in Cinque Terre... all the huffin and puffin Americans who we passed...made us feel pretty confident. Lol -- this time we were the ones huffin and puffin:o. Confidence down the drain again:rolleyes:.

You never know:D. It really was a beautiful trail, but for a cruise day ...just too much.

Stef

Hahaha no taxes and not even a funeral - a psychology paper - not very interesting ( well ok kinda interesting but not interesting like this report).

Thank you very much for your concern, everyone is very well here, especially doggies :D Hope your doggies are good too ( and not to mention your lovely family)

Psychology? Are you studying? Cool! and what a relief everybody is okay.

We're all doing well too, thank you. Tonight we're going to the movies with Tarik seeing the "Feuerzangenbowle" --- lol -- try to say that as an English speaker:D. It's a real old black and white German movie ... absolute cult -- even for the younger generation still... and Tarik doesn't know it yet and I can't wait to show him! Giddy, giddy, giddy!

Lol, if anybody wants a short description of the movie, just tell me!

Stef

Edited by Kreuzfahrtneuling

Hamish tribute post

Who is Hamish? Well, who WAS Hamish I should say. He sadly passed away in November 2014.

I have quite the lump in my throat and don’t know how to start this post. I was looking forward to telling you all about Hamish and to tell you to make sure you go visit him too.

That’s history now.

I still want to write about our visit and at least tell you what a great gentle giant he was. Although it’s sad, that you won’t get to visit him anymore, at least you’ll have heard of his story … better than nothing … and I thoroughly believe the best way to honor someone, no matter if human or cherished animal, is to keep the memory alive.

A moving, loving Curriculum vitae was composed by the Stirling Smith Art Gallery, which I’d like to share with you here:

Curriculum vitae

Foreign picture:

15765183457_47f1fbe4c9_b.jpg

NAME: Hamish McKye Denovan.

DATE OF BIRTH: 1993.

DATE OF DEATH: 2014.

PLACE OFBIRTH: On Mull, under a wandering star.

STAR SIGN: Taurus.

EDUCATION: Educated at the University of

'Highland' Life, studying Media

and Sheep Management.

QUALIFICATIONS: 1st Class Honours Degree in

Bullocks

VITAL STATISTICS:

EYES - brown.

HAIR - flowing russet.

HORN SPAN - 33"/84cm.

WEIGHT - 1 ton.

OVERALL - considered extremely handsome and photogenic.

WORK EXPERIENCE:

1996 - Apprenticeship served at the Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum in exhibition promotion, public relations, working with children, supervising other animals, security duties.

A fascinating VC for a bull, isn’t it? Even more so, if you consider he was close to being killed a long time ago.

Remember back the year 1996. It was the worst time of the BSE crisis in Great Britain. Pretty much every British cow over 3 years old faced the prospect of slaughter! Period! No exceptions!

Well – not quite true… there was one exception. The bull called Hamish was more of a pet than a farm animal. A local nursery (Bright Beginnings Nursery in Stirling) and of course all the little kids in it had grown to love this gentle guy.

He came to the area as a three year old together with the artist Joseph Denovan Adam, together with sheep, goats and his little brother Hector. They stayed at the Stirling Smith Art Gallery for the whole summer and proved hugely popular with the visitors.

Let’s just say, nobody was ready to give up Hamish this easily…the nursery started a “save Hamish” campaign, which turned out so huge, that Hamish actually was permitted to stay alive, because he categorized as a pet and was attested an educational purpose!

He moved into his new and final home, the pasture next to the Trossach’s woolen mill in Kilmahog and continued, what he did best: represent the area and Scotland in general in his gentle, furry, relaxed way.

Whoohoo!!! Who would have guessed then, that Hamish would live to become the world’s second oldest bull ever. There is only one bull in India, who surpassed our Scottish friend. He certainly remains the oldest bull in the UK however.

I’d like to also add that Hamish found love with cow Heather, who was introduced to him when he had already reached the ripe age of 17 years…the usual lifespan being no more than 14 years! Together they gave the gift of life to Honey, their beautiful calf. Nowadays there is another calf (this time in black) called Hamish Dubh (meaning black in Gaelic, duh) roaming around the pasture …

Sadly we didn’t see Heather… I hope she’s okay.

In his last days in November, Hamish was brought to a farm break, which happened regularly, since also a hard working bull in the tourist –business has a right to a little peace and quiet once in a while.

As he arrived at the farm, the vet gave him his regular check up and even drew some blood to see if everything was still okay. It was. Nothing to fix. One week after that he just died, lying down as if he was sleeping. I guess he just fell asleep and just drifted off to never wake up again. Since all the parameters had just been checked, it was just the age, which caused him to pass. Good to know, still, doesn’t compensate the loss. Hamish – you were loved by fans all over the world and will always be remembered!

Rest in peace!

Following: Our pictures of Hamish, Honey and Hamish Dubh.

15763174828_8c4369a575_z.jpg

15949920222_0884c7f26e_z.jpg

15763308770_29d2f17e33_z.jpg

15763302280_563dbf8af3_z.jpg

15764872077_1172a6588d_z.jpg

stay tuned!

Stef

feeling emotional after losing our much loved 14 year old Staffie, Molly, only 2 days ago

I'm so sorry for your loss! Hang in there... the first weeks are the hardest... you physically feel the absence at home. The worst! But imagine, you wouldn't feel it - wouldn't that mean that she wasn't important? The fact that you miss her dearly, crying and all -- just rises her memory up to the importance, which she deserves.

Rest in peace Molly!

You're more than welcome to post a picture of her here if you'd like.

Stef

Bye bye Scotland!

Gosh, I was so captured by writing the Hamish post, that I didn’t even realize, when I sent it off, that it would be the last of today’s port day posts and last Scottish post in general:eek:.

:(Yes, sad, but true, we’re done with our report on Scotland.

I already told you about our turbulent race back to the ship and that we made it afterall… so after dinner onboard, we went outside and took in one last, longing look of the Scottish coast fading on the horizon.

15956342561_6c1ab39b1e_b.jpg

We utterly fell in love with Scotland and didn’t really wanna leave yet. I hope that I captured at least a bit of the Nation’s soul… to all the Scots out there reading this review … please feel free to add stuff, which you have missed in here --- good or bad, no matter, but it helps to broaden the picture.

Anyway I’d like to thank you as representatives of your country to have given us such a warm welcome!

Be assured: We will be back! Often.

Stef

Hi Steff

So glad you managed to get your hire car with little difficulty and your visit to Loch Achray was a succsses. Have enjoyed reading your review, it would appear you have enjoyed your cruise and your visit to Scotland. As we say in Scotland to departing visitors "Haste Ye Back".

Jim.

I was born in Scotland 60 yrs. ago and have been back many times. Have been on 43 cruises and the British Isles was one of the best. Wish you could have gone in the summer when the weather was better. Great people and many old pubs where you would be very welcome. Thanks for the memories.

it continues to be fantastic. And when you make us wait too long for the next instalment, I pass the time by reading yr. other reviews tho. I try to resist as one day, there'll be nothing to read for the first time.(sad face - can't do the icon)

Found a link to your report on the Celebrity Board, yesterday and I just finished reading it. You did an amazing job of making me feel like I was right there with you. Now I'm reading your other 2 reviews. By the time I'm finished you will be like family.

Thanks, so much, for sharing your adventures in such great detail.

Toni

I was on the quayside for your departure. Here's some photos I took. We had a pipe band to send you off. The crew at the ships door appeared with a Scottish flag.

IMG_8032.jpg

Wow -- thank you so much! Can't believe that now I have a picture of the ship, with us actually in it at the moment! Very, very cool!

..and I'm so sorry, I forgot to report about the pipe band! We didn't really value them to the extent they would have deserved, since we got to the ship sooo late. We pretty much ran past em. Lol, did you see us zipping past?

But one thing is certain ... the folks at Greenock sure go out of their way to welcome cruise passengers. I've read, that they even supply several free:eek: bus tours of the area, which are supposed to be very good!

:):):)Thank you again for those fabulous pictures!!!!!

Stef

Hi Steff

So glad you managed to get your hire car with little difficulty and your visit to Loch Achray was a succsses. Have enjoyed reading your review, it would appear you have enjoyed your cruise and your visit to Scotland. As we say in Scotland to departing visitors "Haste Ye Back".

Jim.

Hey Jim, good to hear from ya! Yes, everything worked out with the rental car. Thanks again for your friendly assistance before our cruise. Loch Achray was beautiful! ...of course I'll need to return to see Loch Katrin ... I'd love to take the all day tour on the steamboat "Sir Walter Scott" ... what a fitting name for a steamboat on Loch Katrin.

Thank you again for being one of the first friendly, helpful Scots we met online.

Scotland rocks!

Stef