NCL freestyles dining

stonewall

[/url]Dress Code in Dining Rooms

Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues.

Guests are allowed to wear blue jeans, shorts and t-shirts, in the evenings at the buffets, outdoor barbeques, and 24-hour venues, such as the Blue Lagoon, the Cadillac diner, etc.

Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

Know you know what is not allowed. Here is what NCL calls resort casual:

"Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. If you like, you can slip into a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, a skirt and blouse or a sundress for dinner."

Now I do know not to wear them to the white house, but I have some lovely sandals that would technically be considered 'flip flops' - certainly not the plastic beach variety.

I wore these several times to dinner - did this violate a written (or unwritten!)

policy?? <gasp>

Now I do know not to wear them to the white house, but I have some lovely sandals that would technically be considered 'flip flops' - certainly not the plastic beach variety.

I wore these several times to dinner - did this violate a written (or unwritten!)

policy?? <gasp>

As far as I know, there is no official policy concerning shoes. The only prohibition involves bare feet. That means it boils down to what the fashion police will deem appropriate or not.

Just back from the Dawn today, some men dressed in suit and tie,some in dress pants, shirt and tie no jacket, some just dressed in khakis and a collared shirt, my husband wore dockers and button down shirts, no tie. No problems. I didn't see anyone in jeans or shorts at dinners.

On our cruise on the Star last month, they didn't enforce the dress code at all. I saw people every night in the main dining rooms not even in resort casual. A whole family paraded by our table, led by the maitre'd to their table, in t-shirts, jeans, warm-up suit and sweatpants.

Made it tough on me after I had made sure my friends on their first NCL cruise knew what resort casual was!

I do wish they would enforce their dress codes. If they went through the trouble to post them, they should enforce the rules. If people didn't pack correctly with what's posted, as far as I am concerned they can eat at the buffet upstairs.

Don, one of the first things I think we agree on!! There was a thread a couple of weeks ago where we discussed this. To sum it up, many people felt that they overlooked the dress code so not as to get into a confrontation with passengers. As one poster said: one really negative complaint could mean the end of the line for a crew member.

Unfortunately, that is the case. People are out for their own interests and when a rule is an inconveinence for them, they ignore it or complain loudly about it. When confronted with violation of a rule, they think that getting loud and obnoxious gets them what they want by embarassing who they are talking to.

I wish NCL employees would have the guts to do the RIGHT THING and enforce the dress code instead of cowering to these fools who's personal interests, they think, are above everyone elses. I probably should have complained myself when I was on board about those who violated the dress code since I was somewhat embarassed about what I told my friends not being the case!

I wish NCL employees would have the guts to do the RIGHT THING and enforce the dress code instead of cowering to these fools who's personal interests, they think, are above everyone elses.

I agree that every cruise line should enforce its dress codes. However, I think it's a bit extreme to accuse the employees of being cowards. After all, their jobs are at stake and we all know that there are some uncaring passengers who would complain to the point of jeopardizing the jobs of these individuals. I think you need to be a little more understanding of the crew's tenuous position.

I'm 54 and I wore flip-flops in the dining rooms on the NCL Star. I didn't wear them all the time, mind you, and especially not on formal night. I wore a pair of slip-on sandals that looked nice, but most of all, they FELT nice! :p

I saw teenagers wearing flip flops in the dining rooms (NCL Star) in the evening on several occasions and no one batted an eye. :eek:

This is a little bit off-topic from the original posters intent, but I have to chime in about the "flip-flops". I still call them thongs!:p I don't have a problem with people wearing them on the ship, although unless they are "fancier", I don't think they should be worn in the dining rooms for the evening meal. But....I can't wait until this fad passes! Kids wearing flip-flops everywhere they go. (Someone mentioned the White House earlier in this thread.) I went to 3 graduation ceremonies this past spring/summer and I couldn't believe the kids wearing flip-flops to their own graduation!

They wear them even if it's 20 degrees outside, or raining hard. I also get tired of hearing the slap,slap,slap sound as they walk in them. Anyway, having ranted now I will step off my soap box.

Have a great cruise everyone!

Hikini:D

maitre d'

Unfortunately, each maitre d' of our Dream 8/1-11 sailing was so involved in assisting the waitstaff that he/she had very little time to properly seat the passengers/customers. It appeared a hostess turned over the passengers to an asst. hostess rather a maitre d' being in charge of the overall seating.

The maitre d' should have no problem in advising a passenger that he/she was not abiding by the dresscode since the maitre d' most likely isn't under as much pressure of dismissal because of something said to a passenger.

There were times, however, we did have a maitre d' who assisted in seating, but we did not experience witnessing any turndowns because of a passenger not abiding by the evening dresscode.

all the best -

i love flip flops... they are so comfy.

i had a beach/pool flip flop and a "fancy" pair for dinner.

I think one of the perks to NCL is the laid back attatude... if your looking for a fancy ship then you need to go someplace else.

but with that said... people should go by the rules....or at least try to look your best. Its one thing to throw on a pair of nice shorts and a nice shirt ...and its another to wear the same dirty shorts you wore to the beach to dinner with a ratty tank top.

i work in retail and understand why the workers of ncl would rather kiss a** then get a bad complaint. When you cruise on NCL write on the comment card about your disapointment with the dress code. The more they hear about it the more they will inforce it!

When you cruise on NCL write on the comment card about your disapointment with the dress code. The more they hear about it the more they will inforce it!

Good idea! We've been on two repo cruises, and the people on both were a little older (maybe because these cruises are while school is in session). I was quite surprised at how nicely dressed everyone was. :)

I agree that every cruise line should enforce its dress codes. However, I think it's a bit extreme to accuse the employees of being cowards. After all, their jobs are at stake and we all know that there are some uncaring passengers who would complain to the point of jeopardizing the jobs of these individuals. I think you need to be a little more understanding of the crew's tenuous position.

Part of the problems with the world today is this being afraid to make anybody upset garbage. That only allows those who think only of themselves to get continue to get away with it and snub their noses at rules and regulations. They only get worse.

Perhaps next time that a car is stolen and the thief caught, we should let him go since to put him on public display and call him guilty would be harmful to his feelings!

NCL has a written policy about a dress code. It is even on a sign outside of the restaurant.

It is the Maitre'd's job to make sure that the rules are followed.

The Maitre'd on the Star failed to ask people to change (for whatever reason).

Therefore the Maitre'd did not do his job.

In my book being afraid of someone saying something to the point that you fail to do your job makes you a coward. Therefore the Maitre'd on the Star is a Coward in my book. That is simply MY OPINION.

In my book being afraid of someone saying something to the point that you fail to do your job makes you a coward. Therefore the Maitre'd on the Star is a Coward in my book. That is simply MY OPINION.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think your assessment is overly harsh. But that's just MY opinion.

On our Star cruise 7/31--8/7 they definitely enforced the NO JEANS rule in the dining room and restaurant, with the exception of the first night. One of my brothers-in-law wore them, I know. :eek: BUT, from then on, he had to wear pants of a different color. He even bought a pair of black casual pants in Juneau. I just don't think he actually thought they would enforce the rule. Surprise! Surprise! That said, one night even my 81+ year old father-in-law started to go into the dining room with a very light pair of denim jeans on. He quickly went back to his cabin to change. Maybe when he and his wife sailed the Star in Hawai'i things weren't as strict. Either way, it's Freestyle, to a point. ;) The line has to be drawn somewhere. :rolleyes:

On our cruise on the Star last month, they didn't enforce the dress code at all. I saw people every night in the main dining rooms not even in resort casual. A whole family paraded by our table, led by the maitre'd to their table, in t-shirts, jeans, warm-up suit and sweatpants.

Made it tough on me after I had made sure my friends on their first NCL cruise knew what resort casual was!

Archived