My port plans for Halifax, Saint John, and rest of NCL Gem cruise

We go on NCL Gem soon and will have 2 of our teenagers with us. I spent hours going over CC, plus Tom Port guides, reviewing the ship's tour offerings, and goggling top 10 things to do in each port. I had to balance what I wanted to do with what our kids would like with our budget, etc. Plus, like in Boston, I had to choose some things that might help them in school- like visiting concord and Lexington instead of hanging out at the JFK library or driving by Mitt Romney's home or whatever. I share these plans in an effort to help other cruisers with some details..

Needless to say I had to cut out some great things, balance what would work for us, and thought I would share it here...

Saturday 27 Check out of hotel 930, take cab to Port of NY 711 12th Ave, look for ship signs there. Turn in bags, about 10 am go to interped museum-maybe, 2pm board ship, 4pm sail. Sail away- Great outdoors in back, spinnakers in middle, deck above pool, or front. At guest services sign up to eat with one of the officers.

Sunday at SEA- sleep in, relax, religious observance

Monday Halifax- 8-5 Get off ship, take a private cab at the dock (mostly for the narration)($50 per hour)-brief city tour, then Peggy’s Cove and Swiss air memorial, then Titanic Cemetery, then back to town- drop off at Citadel ($7.80 each), Lobster Lunch in town, then Maritime Museum 930-530 ($8.75), then boardwalk (harbor walk) back to ship.

Tuesday Saint John. early morning getup and watch ship pull into Bay of Fundy In port: 10-6pm Take the free enclosed walkways (pedway system- see map) to New Brunswick Museum (about $8 per) walk around Brunswick square and city market. pm. Lunch back on ship. Walk 15 minutes to Forte Howe Lookout . The fort, perched high on a rocky cliff, is reached from Main Street via Metcalfe Street and Magazine Street. Then walk 30 minutes to Reversing rapids at Fallsview walk to viewpointlookout (on the map)

Wednesday Bar Harbor 8-6 Tender in (after ships tours tender) 900 am or so Walk to Bar island low tied, walk around short “shore path” other side, Free bus tour- walk 3 steep blocks to Village green- Take the Free “Down East” Island Shuttle bus- Rt1 up to visitor center- then Route 3 or 4.. check winter route times- if you get off at a stop to look around, you add about a half hour to your time since the bus doesn't wait, but just continues on its route. http://www.exploreacadia.com/ See Thunder Hole, Jordan Lake, Cadillac mountain all in arcadia

1pm- 3 pm Lulu’s Lobster boat tour (pre-book) Or 12-3 Whale Watch tour $45 each (* Make res)

Thursday Boston October 2nd 8 am to 6 pm. 8 am Call Enterprise 617-268-1411 to arrange pier pick up. Drive to Harvard Yard (read narrative) - try to find parking- 15 minutes here-then to Lexington (26 minutes) Then Concord (10)

Start at Lexington Visitor Center- get map, movie, etc. Stop at Minute Man National Historical Park Visitor Center and see “road to revolution movie” Free. Then North Bridge Visitor Center, then Concord Visitor Center and possibly Concord Museum. Possible guided walking tour

12 pm ish (about 40 minutes to) The Salem Witch Museum $9.50/6.50 Salem was the wealthiest city in the United States At the museum, using stage sets, life-size figures, lighting and narration, you’ll learn about the Witch Trials of 1692 and have time to visit the witch exhibit. You'll also see the Witch Memorial and the Point Burying Ground.

3pm ish Return car, driving by Boston Massacre site (a bronze plaque next to old state house), 1st Public School Site, Boston Common, then Cheers. and asked to be dropped off at USS Constitution (bring passports) free, then walk back to Old North Church ($3 donation) and photo of Paul revere statue there, then Faneuil Hall, then cab back to ship by 540 pm ( $10 for 4)

Friday- Newport- tender in-its maybe 15 mins, walk left a block or 2- buy ticket to the Breakers ($20), and take bus/trolley #67 for $2 each way pp exact cash to driver. Get off at stop 3 by the Breakers.. do tour, then walk left 2 blocks and up to join the cliff walk at about the “40 step” location. Then do the cliff walk back around past the breakers to the end, then walk to bus stop and take trolley/bus #67 back to town.. look around- try a bowl of local clam chowder, back to ship.