Worse months for mosquitos??

cayennered

We are booked on a cruise for July 10, 2015. I chose that date because the weather seemed moderate and it worked for our schedules. But, I didn't consider mosquitos. I have a serious problem with the little buggers. Can some tell me if I've picked a good month...or possibly a bad month? I will come prepared with deet spray, wipes and long pants and sleeves, but it still makes me very nervous. Any thoughts?

I say about mid June until about the end of July. But that's in the interior of Alaska.

You didn't mention what type cruise you are taking. If you are going to be just in Southeast Alaska, not much of a problem at all. On the coast, including Anchorage, I don't consider mosquitoes to be such a big deal, as they don't breed in tidewater or heavily brackish water.

If you get very far away from the coast though, especially in marshy areas, watch out.

Here is a link to some protection ideas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2065339

We did a cruise tour latter part of June and the Mosquitos were unbearable at Copper River. I have to use DEET and even with hoodies and long pants for protection, there were swarms of them on us. Each time the lodge door was opened the swarms came in.

We did an ATV excursion at Denali, lots of skeeters also but nothing as bad as Copper River.

I was miserable and shocked that the lodge didn't offer some deterrent indoors.

My DH is never bothered and he was swatting them as well.

They won’t be a problem when you’re on the ship or even excursions like whale watching. Even in port towns there usually isn’t a big problem. They were vicious this year in Anchorage although nearly non-existent now. I use the lowest possible amount of Deet. 29% seems to be the level for me that works fine. June & July are normally peak mosquito months but depending on your activities you may not have a problem with them.

I didn't think they were bad either until I was sitting down at Taku Lake watching a pair of Grebes this spring and early summer. Was down almost daily watching them build their nest and mate. I was pummeled by them. Deet took care of it.