Texting on Carnival?

thefog

Just off Dream and did not hear of a texting package. We bought a $10.00 international texting package from AT&T (our carrier) prior to our departure.. This really worked good and it gave us 50 outgoing text. We only used 38 the whole week, but kept in contact with our entire family.

Just off Dream and did not hear of a texting package. We bought a $10.00 international texting package from AT&T (our carrier) prior to our departure.. This really worked good and it gave us 50 outgoing text. We only used 38 the whole week, but kept in contact with our entire family.

this. id get with your service provider for something, first. if you dont have an international plan, expect quite a bill. we dont have one (att) and just kept our phones on airplane mode and turned off. there was a moment when our 8yr old turned my phone on to play a game and turned off airplane mode. not sure how long it was off, but i turned it back on the moment i found out. our monthly bill is usually around $130. got the bill in after the cruise, it was $250!! so, yeah. get with your service provider to ensure you're covered!!

No Carnival does not offer a texting package, you have to get it through your own cell phone provider. Usually only $5-10 for a month long international package. Do not text without it or you will be looking at a huge bill.

As above, talk to your cell phone provider. Carnival isn't going to be able to do anything for you since they're not your provider.

BTW, if using iphones make sure you know the difference between iMessage and SMS text messages. They're treated differently by the cell carriers. iMessage is data and could potentially go over Carnival's wifi package. SMS is cellular only. MMS (picture messaging via SMS) is a hybrid using both cellular data and text messages; best to discuss with your carrier.

this. id get with your service provider for something, first. if you dont have an international plan, expect quite a bill. we dont have one (att) and just kept our phones on airplane mode and turned off. there was a moment when our 8yr old turned my phone on to play a game and turned off airplane mode. not sure how long it was off, but i turned it back on the moment i found out. our monthly bill is usually around $130. got the bill in after the cruise, it was $250!! so, yeah. get with your service provider to ensure you're covered!!

We also turn off Cellular Data. JIC something like this happens.😱

Also we turn off all notifications, updates etc.

I have done extensive research on this since my children and I will be leaving in a few days and my husband is staying home. First let me say that many of the AT&T reps do not know their own policies or packages. Many will give you the wrong answer. Before our cruise last year, I went in to an AT&T store to handle it in person. They assured me that if I added this certain plan, that I could text from the ship and would have 50 texts for $10. On the way to the ship, I called AT&T cust service about something else, and in the course of conversation, the rep brought up the recent package I added. When I explained the reason, she told me that what was added would not cover me on the ship, but that she would fix it and add the right package. After an hour on the phone, she assured me it was fixed. When I received my bill, I had been charged for each text. I called again, and was told that they don't have a partnership with carnival, only celebrity, royal, and a few others. When I explained that the previous rep didn't even ask what cruise line I was on and had assured me that it would work, they took off the charges. So, this year, I did more research. I went to a different AT&T store and that rep told me that there are no packages to cover you on a Carnival cruise ship. You can add a plan for in port, but nothing on the ship. He said that each text will cost .50 cents, sending or receiving. I came home and did research on the site and found that he was half right. There are no packages for on the ship, and sending will cost .50 cents, but receiving texts is on whatever domestic plan you have, so if that is unlimited, you will receive texts for free. What I finally arrived at to stay in touch is this: I purchased a Telestial Passport sim card for $19.99. This does me no good on the ship, but in the ports, I can receive international calls for free. I added the international call plan to my husband's AT&T phone for $5, so it will cost him .01 a minute to call the international # I will have with the sim. So during port days, he will call me, and it will cost us almost nothing. While on the ship, I will have my AT&T sim in with all data turned off. I will text occasionally to check in at .50 cents each, and he can text me back for free. Hope my long winded explanation helps

As I stated earlier, I just got off the Dream and had the $10.00 international text plan. I did not explain how we used it fully. We only turned our phone on (no data) while we were in port but did all our texting from our balcony. Have recieved ATT bill and everything was as presented earlier.

I have done extensive research on this since my children and I will be leaving in a few days and my husband is staying home. First let me say that many of the AT&T reps do not know their own policies or packages. Many will give you the wrong answer. Before our cruise last year, I went in to an AT&T store to handle it in person. They assured me that if I added this certain plan, that I could text from the ship and would have 50 texts for $10. On the way to the ship, I called AT&T cust service about something else, and in the course of conversation, the rep brought up the recent package I added. When I explained the reason, she told me that what was added would not cover me on the ship, but that she would fix it and add the right package. After an hour on the phone, she assured me it was fixed. When I received my bill, I had been charged for each text. I called again, and was told that they don't have a partnership with carnival, only celebrity, royal, and a few others. When I explained that the previous rep didn't even ask what cruise line I was on and had assured me that it would work, they took off the charges. So, this year, I did more research. I went to a different AT&T store and that rep told me that there are no packages to cover you on a Carnival cruise ship. You can add a plan for in port, but nothing on the ship. He said that each text will cost .50 cents, sending or receiving. I came home and did research on the site and found that he was half right. There are no packages for on the ship, and sending will cost .50 cents, but receiving texts is on whatever domestic plan you have, so if that is unlimited, you will receive texts for free. What I finally arrived at to stay in touch is this: I purchased a Telestial Passport sim card for $19.99. This does me no good on the ship, but in the ports, I can receive international calls for free. I added the international call plan to my husband's AT&T phone for $5, so it will cost him .01 a minute to call the international # I will have with the sim. So during port days, he will call me, and it will cost us almost nothing. While on the ship, I will have my AT&T sim in with all data turned off. I will text occasionally to check in at .50 cents each, and he can text me back for free. Hope my long winded explanation helps

Mighty complicated IMO!:o

We just lock down evrything and don't even look at our cell phones until we are back in port!

Worse case scenario, you need to get in touch with someone, wouldn't it just be better to use the free Carnival website Funville forum available onboard? :confused: That's our plan.

Thanks for your help :D:D

using the Carnival website is free. BUT, be prepared for long wait times. internet can be very frustrating lol.

I checked as well for my Sprint phone. texting and receiving texts. per minute depends on port. can buy a pkg for texts as well.