First time cruiser

I don't have a clue what to take. We will be in Alaska May 26th - June 2nd on Carival's Spirit.

I'm famous for over packing and I really don't want to do that on this trip. How dressy do we need to get? I like to go causual - especially if we will be doing some of the outdoor adventure type excursions.

Any must have's for cruising? What would you pack for a week long cruise?

At that time of year, layers work the best for touring. It can be chilly and rainy so be prepared for that. I would suggest some kind of raingear, sturdy shoes, jeans, t-shirts or sweatshirts, jackets and depending if you're doing a glacier tour, gloves. At night it's the same as if you were cruising anywhere. Formal night is long gown, evening pants with a dressy top or sparkly cocktail dress for the women, tux or dark suit for the men. Casual night means just about anything except jeans or shorts. Most wear khaki slacks and collared shirts, sun dresses, capri pants with a nice top and things like that.

Darcie

My best purchase for my Alaska cruise was a set of Land's End silk long undies. It got chilly and I was comfy. There was plenty of mist or light rain showers too so I was grateful for my waterproof, hooded windbreaker which I wore over the long undie top and a sweatshirt. I needed all that warm gear in the areas where we viewed the glaciers and icebergs too.

As for formal clothes, yes a floor length skirt and nice top or dress slacks and a glittery top will do just fine. My preference is always that spandex, Traveler's type fabric. You can find these items inexpensively priced at (of all places) walmart.

Have a GREAT cruise.

Sandy

Grand, 2/8/04

Star, 8/30/03

Ladies, thanks for the suggestions. We are also going to Alaska for the first time. I hadn't thought of some of the articles of clothing you mentioned, especially gloves (my hands get cold very easily.) I'm hoping that others chime in here. Cathy

bandc.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2211ff&cdt=2004;06;27;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until our **STAR** search

Seattle to Alaska on NCL Star

June 27, 2004

Fantasy 12/25/03

Inspiration 4/13/03

NCL Majesty 12/27/02

Jubilee 3/23/02

Norwegian Sea 11/23/01

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pazooter:

Ladies, thanks for the suggestions. We are also going to Alaska for the first time. I hadn't thought of some of the articles of clothing you mentioned, especially gloves (my hands get cold very easily.) I'm hoping that others chime in here. Cathy

http://www.pazooter.com

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2211ff&cdt=2004;06;27;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until our **STAR** search

Seattle to Alaska on NCL Star

June 27, 2004

Fantasy 12/25/03

Inspiration 4/13/03

NCL Majesty 12/27/02

Jubilee 3/23/02

Norwegian Sea 11/23/01<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I'll chime in~ icon_biggrin.gif I've been to Alaska twice, the last time on the Star Princess just last year, about the same time of year YOU'RE going this year! (The original poster, I mean)

I'd also add to not forget something for your ears, and maybe a scarf for around your neck while on deck viewing glaciers. The wind can be atrocious the higher up you go (if the ship is moving), and I found that the wind liked to creep down my neckline, even though I had lots of layers on! I tried taking the sash of my Princess bathrobe to put around my neck, but it didn't help, and looked silly! icon_eek.gif Of course, this was whilst I was on our balcony, not in public.

Layers are definitely the way to go. I have put my roomy rain poncho to good use, since I could protect my camera gear underneath the poncho if the drizzling rain sped up. Under the rain poncho (with a hood, I might add) I wore a fleece jacket, sweatshirt, and a long sleeved knit turtleneck.

I did bring one or two pair of jeans, a white twill pair of slacks, one or two sweatshirts (but bought another one on the ship as a souvenir), light gloves, earmuffs, comfy shoes (two pair so if one pair gets wet, you have a dry pair) for excursions and glacier viewing, etc.... It does take more room in your suitcase to pack for Alaska, I've discovered. Must be that thicker clothing! I'm now getting ready for an eastern Caribbean cruise, and I've found that I can get by with one whole less suitcase! icon_biggrin.gif

Have a great time in Alaska! You'll love it!

JJ

Caribbean Princess 5/1/04

Star Princess 5/24/03

Sun Princess 6/12/00

Carnival Fantasy 1/18/98

Archived