Rhine river cruise-which side has better scenery?

avw

We are planning a Viking cruise going south on the Rhine River from Antwerp to Basel. Does anyone know if cabins would be better on the starboard (right) or port (left) side of the ship? Which side would have the better scenery?

Why do you say that? We just returned from a Rhine cruise with GCT, Rhine and Mosel which covered almost all of the navigatable Rhine, from Antwerp to Basel. We had a cabin on the port side. The same a year ago on the Rhine, Main, Danube (also with GCT) and also on the port side. In Antwerp we would have had a river view all the time on the starboard side, as the river there is VERY tidal, we would have had a clear view at all times, but the rest of the way, I can't say there was any side that was better. We almost always docked on the right side of the river. While cruising, on the very scenic areas, like the castle stretch from Koblenz south, we were mostly on the sundeck so we could see both sides at once, as there was a castle every few minutes, first on one side, then on the other. I can't see that it would make much difference.

I still intend to post a trip report on our "Romance of the Rhine and Mosel" trip, I just finished printing my some 1500 pictures, and have my scrapbook nearly finished. Now I can look at the trip objectively enough to post a report. I have a lot of mixed emotions about the whole trip, and need to sort them out before I post.

Karen

Karen....I am looking forward to your report on the Rhine-Mosel GCT trip. We just returned from the same trip. I am curious about your "mixed emotions" as we found the entire trip wonderful, except for weather over which we had no control!

Dorothy

• 1 month later...
We are planning a Viking cruise going south on the Rhine River from Antwerp to Basel. Does anyone know if cabins would be better on the starboard (right) or port (left) side of the ship? Which side would have the better scenery?

Believe me you won't want to sit in your cabin so the side you're on doesn't really matter. We had balcony cabins on out two trips and the only time we used them was in dock. There are too many nice people aboard with whom you"ll want to share your experiences.

Archived