Taxi or Cruise Shuttle Bus

swimgirl1

We are trying to decide between taking a taxi to and from the airport or using the cruise shuttle bus I believe its $20pp roughly? Any ideas of taxi pricing? Opinions?

I personally would do the taxi.... I am pretty sure to the PanAm pier from the airport will be around $21 + $1 per bag (not carry ons) +tip for up to 6 people. So if you are by yourself.... just share the cab with some other cruisers you can find them at the taxi stand out front. The cruise bus will have to wait until full etc.

Even if you are just 2 people it is cheaper in San Juan to take a taxi. They have a well organized system with a dispatcher that gives you a paper with the price before you get in the taxi. If you can find another couple to share with the price will be cheaper.

The other advantage is that you can keep track of your luggage better. I always worry when I put my bags in a pile and get on a shuttle.

I had planned taking a taxi aswell, but when I read heather's review (a reallz great one btw), I thought about changing my mind:

We had planned on taking a taxi after gathering our bags as we’ve done many times in the past. We’ve found that booking the cruise line shuttle can often be more hassle than its worth in terms of having to wait for the bus to fill before leaving, then the bus needs to be fully unloaded with baggage before they let you off. Well, for a slight minute I had wished I booked the Celebrity shuttle when I saw this ridiculous line for taxis! Typically (in other ports anyways) it’s normally a free for all where you fend for yourself and hail a taxi – which quite frankly works well for us. This line was at LEAST 50 people deep – if not more! So we asked the people at the front of the line, if the lengthy line was indeed for taxis. They confirmed our suspicions and we went to the back of the line.

Luckily we were only in line for about 5 minutes before we were approached by a local if we were in need of a taxi. We told him yes, and were told to follow him. Clearly, a sketchy operation, but we followed him across a few rows of traffic – past where the official taxis were all lined up. He told us to wait there. He called someone on his cell phone. A few minute later, a woman pulled up in a clear, non-taxi vehicle. He threw our suitcases in the trunk, we hopped in the back and he sat in the passage seat. Honestly, it was very sketchy, they barely spoke any English. But, we were happy to not be standing in that line for a taxi and be making it to the port in a timely fashion. They charged us $45 for our ride to the port.